Netflix is now in the UK

Associate
My PS3 Netflix doesn't work with US content anymore. Apparently they updated the Netflix app on PS3 to ignore your DNS settings and use some other servers to get the fastest speed, so when I try to play something it gets an "aip" error :(

Soldato
If we could just get the same stuff, then no-one would be farting about with DNS settings to get what we want.

We are obviously willing to pay for the content, we already are yet the publishers still want to mess us around. It really makes no sense at all.

Mobster
Soldato
If we could just get the same stuff, then no-one would be farting about with DNS settings to get what we want.

We are obviously willing to pay for the content, we already are yet the publishers still want to mess us around. It really makes no sense at all.

The other thing is that make Netflix make this so damn easy to do. If they actually cared, they would have stopped it years ago...

Stupid, arrogant movie industry.

Associate

Yeah, incidentally there was a bit on BBC's Click yesterday where they were talking about Bittorrent and how it's declining, in the US at least, mainly due to Netflix. Apparently 30% of nighttime internet traffic in the US is Netflix.

The other thing I don't get is, why do the film studios still care so much about cinemas? These days most people can't be bothered since they have HD TVs and a lot of people have 5.1 home cinemas. Cinemas are usually dirty and have rip-off snacks, so I would rather watch films at home these days. I only go to IMAX if I really want to watch a movie on a big screen.

I thought studios would be scrambling to get a Steam style setup going so they could bypass the cinemas and reach a far larger audience of people who wouldn't usually go to the cinema.

Maybe they make more money on a stacked model of first cinema, then DVD/Bluray then finally TV networks, but I think they would get loads more from people who would usually pirate it since they don't want to wait for the DVD/Bluray.

Soldato
Yeah, incidentally there was a bit on BBC's Click yesterday where they were talking about Bittorrent and how it's declining, in the US at least, mainly due to Netflix. Apparently 30% of nighttime internet traffic in the US is Netflix.

The other thing I don't get is, why do the film studios still care so much about cinemas? These days most people can't be bothered since they have HD TVs and a lot of people have 5.1 home cinemas. Cinemas are usually dirty and have rip-off snacks, so I would rather watch films at home these days. I only go to IMAX if I really want to watch a movie on a big screen.

I thought studios would be scrambling to get a Steam style setup going so they could bypass the cinemas and reach a far larger audience of people who wouldn't usually go to the cinema.

Maybe they make more money on a stacked model of first cinema, then DVD/Bluray then finally TV networks, but I think they would get loads more from people who would usually pirate it since they don't want to wait for the DVD/Bluray.

I was having a similar conversation with my mrs a few months back and we came to the conclusion that even if they put out a rental service for new films like iTunes, but at the same time as the cinema release (which isn't done atm), they'd have no control over how many people actually view it, giving them less money. If you could watch a film at home, you'd only technically buy "1 ticket" worth of pricing, even though more than 1 person might be watching, making them lose that extra revenue per person.

Even though I love the idea of simply renting a film to watch as soon as its released to enjoy on my state of the art home cinema equipment, it just doesn't make that much financial sense to the greedy film studios and corporations.

Associate
I was having a similar conversation with my mrs a few months back and we came to the conclusion that even if they put out a rental service for new films like iTunes, but at the same time as the cinema release (which isn't done atm), they'd have no control over how many people actually view it, giving them less money. If you could watch a film at home, you'd only technically buy "1 ticket" worth of pricing, even though more than 1 person might be watching, making them lose that extra revenue per person.

Even though I love the idea of simply renting a film to watch as soon as its released to enjoy on my state of the art home cinema equipment, it just doesn't make that much financial sense to the greedy film studios and corporations.

Ah yes of course, I see what you mean. It's still a shame, I find it weird they make a film and then it takes ages to actually get to see it since they will only show it at some shared screening room (i.e the cinema). I keep comparing it to games, where once they're done making it you can just download it immediately and enjoy it. I guess it's the wrong comparison, since like you say, a film can be viewed by multiple people at once but a game can only be played by one person at a time (except local co-op). And films can cost a lot more than games to make, so they want to maximize the return.

Soldato
I am interested in trying out Netflix. I have the impression that it is good for TV series, but how good is it for films? I had a look on a blog which claims to list the entire Netflix UK catalogue and scrolling from z to s I noticed that it seemed to be lacking a lot of films I might have expected eg any X men films, the new wolverine etc how good is it for recent releases.?

NZB

NZB

Associate
For movies you're better off with Sky tbh, other than a few exceptions like The Hobbit they get them a lot quicker than Netflix.

Mostly i just use it for watching older TV shows instead of torrenting them as between the regions they have quite a lot, although last season they had Breaking Bad and The Killing's new episodes just hours after airing in the US so hopefully that deal with AMC will improve. Plus their own shows have started getting quite good ie Orange is the New Black and House of Cards.

Soldato
I am comparing what I could get with the full BT infinity + TV package vs going with plusnets much cheaper fibre and using services like plusnet. (I know they are not directly comparable)

Mobster
Soldato
What the movie industry need to do is go the way of the music industry. That is, providing new releases for streaming as part of a subscription, at say, £9 a month.

This seems to work with the music industry (take Google Play Music for example), so why not the movie industry?

Back
Top Bottom