Netflix Sci-Fi Anthology - Love, Death & Robots

Man of Honour
Guys, I am disappoint. The first three episodes of this were in parts ok to absolutely shockingly bad. So, so so so so sosososoossssssssssooooOOoOoo bad. So much unnecessary swearing and nudity. It was as if a 14 year old wrote them.

They did then get better. The space teleporter one, I did properly enjoy.

The worst had to be that awful awful robot tourist one or the awful, awful, ‘witness’. Soooo bad. Just. Like, cmon. Guys.

Man of Honour
5 out of 18 had nudity/sex that I remember, and one of those was jokey cartoon Hitler.

Nitefly setting the prudefactor to 11 :p

Also, 'necessary' is the choice of the storyteller/director. ;)
Well I’m just taking it from the first 3 episodes, which were probably the crudest of the lot. Complaining at ‘tasteless sex and violence for the sake of those things’ doesn’t make me prude :p

Man of Honour
Here’s how I rate them copying and pasting the descriptions of @Raymond Lin :

Ep 1 - One with the arena monster fight - 5/10
Ep 2 - One with the funny Robots and cats - 2/10
Ep 3 - Time Loop set in Hong Kong - 2/10
Ep 4 - American farmers crossed with Starship Trooper - 7/10
Ep 5 - Dracula - 5/10
Ep 6 - Yogurt? - 5/10
Ep 7 - Prometheus cross with The Matrix (The most realistic looking one so far) - 9/10
Ep 8 - Human fox robot - 9/10
Ep 9 - Dumpster eviction - 4/10
EP 10 - Taliban werewolf - 7/10
Ep 11 - Gravity without Sandra Bullock - 5/10
Ep 12 - Salesmen in the desert - 4/10
Ep 13 - Lucky 13 - 9/10
Ep 14 - Zima Blue Art - 10/10
Ep 15 - Fast and Furious in the year 2599 - 6/10
Ep 16 - Live Action with Eric from That 70's show - 6/10
Ep 17 - Hilter dies 6 ways - 2/10
Ep 18 - Russian in WW2 vs ??? (great CGI) - 7/10

Overall some very good - mostly OK. Worth a watch with reservations.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Awesome, most of them I enjoyed they were short and sweet and nice to see that they merge almost life like acting and CGI together. Some were very high quality animations and CGI. A few duds but were talking few minutes, overall great to binge over a few nights.

Look forward to season 2 if it ever comes about.

Caporegime
Really enjoyed this overall, just binged the lot. The only one I didn't like was "Ice Age" with the little civilization in the freezer, otherwise I really enjoyed most of it. Some of the CGI was utterly jaw dropping, like on Episode 7.

Soldato
Here’s how I rate them copying and pasting the descriptions of @Raymond Lin :

Ep 1 - One with the arena monster fight - 5/10
Ep 2 - One with the funny Robots and cats - 2/10
Ep 3 - Time Loop set in Hong Kong - 2/10
Ep 4 - American farmers crossed with Starship Trooper - 7/10
Ep 5 - Dracula - 5/10
Ep 6 - Yogurt? - 5/10
Ep 7 - Prometheus cross with The Matrix (The most realistic looking one so far) - 9/10
Ep 8 - Human fox robot - 9/10
Ep 9 - Dumpster eviction - 4/10
EP 10 - Taliban werewolf - 7/10
Ep 11 - Gravity without Sandra Bullock - 5/10
Ep 12 - Salesmen in the desert - 4/10
Ep 13 - Lucky 13 - 9/10
Ep 14 - Zima Blue Art - 10/10
Ep 15 - Fast and Furious in the year 2599 - 6/10
Ep 16 - Live Action with Eric from That 70's show - 6/10
Ep 17 - Hilter dies 6 ways - 2/10
Ep 18 - Russian in WW2 vs ??? (great CGI) - 7/10

Overall some very good - mostly OK. Worth a watch with reservations.

Pretty much agree. A few quality shorts padded with some real junk. Started strong but tapered of a lot.

Soldato
Watched them all last night, didn't realise it would be just over 3 hours to get all 18 done. Some of them looked amazing and the CGI was better than some modern AAA films of late, the third episode felt like they'd stuck a filter onto a real life location, would have liked to see some more episodes with an anime style.

Soldato
Am glad it's not just me thinking 'what's the big deal?'. All I'd heard was how amazing they are, I've only watched 4eps, they're okay at best for me. I think I'm just not into short stories when they're this short.

Soldato
Watched the first one, better than I expected, very well executed. Bit of a shame about the cringe-inducing ******* material stuffed in there, but didn't spoil it.

Soldato
Watched the first one, better than I expected, very well executed. Bit of a shame about the cringe-inducing ******* material stuffed in there, but didn't spoil it.

It's what's in the original short story. The main character is a lesbian because she can't get over the brutal gang-rape/mutilation/torture/near murder she suffered. That's why
when the promoter sends his pretend girlfriend to seduce and kill Sonnie, she's a woman. It's also why Sonnie is actually in the monster at all. Not only does it give her an edge in reaction time and the will to fight for her life (because it is literally her body), she feels safe as a giant killing monster driving a fake woman's body as an extension, rather than the other way around.

That's the basis for the twist that Sonnie is the monster, not the woman.

Soldato
It's what's in the original short story. The main character is a lesbian because she can't get over the brutal gang-rape/mutilation/torture/near murder she suffered. That's why
when the promoter sends his pretend girlfriend to seduce and kill Sonnie, she's a woman. It's also why Sonnie is actually in the monster at all. Not only does it give her an edge in reaction time and the will to fight for her life (because it is literally her body), she feels safe as a giant killing monster driving a fake woman's body as an extension, rather than the other way around.

That's the basis for the twist that Sonnie is the monster, not the woman.

It's not the fact she's a lesbian that's naff, it was the framing of it, it was a gratuitous jerkoff moment and cheapened the whole thing for me. Just in case anyone thought animated shorts could be for adults, here's a reminder that this one was made for teenage boys...

Soldato
It's not the fact she's a lesbian that's naff, it was the framing of it, it was a gratuitous jerkoff moment and cheapened the whole thing for me. Just in case anyone thought animated shorts could be for adults, here's a reminder that this one was made for teenage boys...

I just fished out the book it's based on, and while there is a couple of slightly erotic/implied paragraphs, the animation is a lot more explicit, so in that respect it has been sexed up for Netflix. A coat gets sexily dropped to the floor and a breast groped in the book, but that's about it, rather than a little topless nudity and kissing as per the animation.

Reading the end again, there's another book twist that was left out of the animation.
Sonnie was never raped. She was young, dumb, got drunk celebrating a win, and crashed the truck. The crew stuck her in the monster life support to keep her alive and figured out the edge. It's the fear of dying in the fight ring that makes her fight and win every time.

Man of Honour
The child like swearing in episode 2 and the ludicrous nudity in episode 3 will do little to change your view.

I can make your life a lot easier by saying watch episodes 7 (spaceship one), 8 (wolf anime style one), 13 (Lukcy 13) and 14 (the art one). Even though the former two do have nudity it doesn’t feel quite as in your face tasteless. Those are also the episodes that build the most lore in the short space of time and are the best of the bunch by a long, long, long way.

Soldato
I have to rant a bit about Helping Hand. There is NO WAY throwing a glove or a severed limb would change her momentum anywhere near as much as is shown. I was also annoyed when she got out of her spaceship without tethering herself to anything.

Sonnie's Edge was a great first episode, and I genuinely didn't see the ending coming. The Witness was also a highlight. I guessed the ending, but it was executed well enough that I didn't mind, and the art style was really good.

The ghost fish episode sucked.

Caporegime
I have to rant a bit about Helping Hand. There is NO WAY throwing a glove or a severed limb would change her momentum anywhere near as much as is shown. I was also annoyed when she got out of her spaceship without tethering herself to anything.

You just have to take it at face value, it's anime.

Ever seen The Seven Deadly sins. If not, their main mode of transportation is an enormous green pig wearing a "hat" which doubles as their living quarters/pub/business. Cool beans! :p - no explanation given or needed.

Back
Top Bottom