Netgear D7000 VDSL modem/router

Associate
D7000 for Huawei cabinets and D7800 for ECI cabinets, matching chipsets? :):D

ECI modem performed better on my line (ECI cabinet) than the HG612, would it be the same with these two?

And does any one know if the D7800 will support G.INP and Vectoring? Thank You

Last edited:
Associate
D7000 for Huawei cabinets and D7800 for ECI cabinets, matching chipsets? :):D

ECI modem performed better on my line (ECI cabinet) than the HG612, would it be the same with these two?

And does any one know if the D7800 will support G.INP and Vectoring? Thank You

The 7800 will support G.Inp and vectoring, sadly at present the ECI cab rollout of G.Inp is on hold, no new news as to when they will start it again.

Associate
I have just received this and wow what a beast. I am a bit confused with the 2.4GHz and 5GHz though. I am not sure whats the difference and which one I am supposed to choose on my devices?

THanks

Associate
I have just received this and wow what a beast. I am a bit confused with the 2.4GHz and 5GHz though. I am not sure whats the difference and which one I am supposed to choose on my devices?

THanks

Both, one or niether!

There are two wifi bands, 2.4 & 5Ghz. 2.4Ghz is the original standard, all wifi devices support it, not all wifi devices support the newer 5Ghz band.

There are a couple of reasons 5Ghz was introduced, congestion in the 2.4Ghz band, too many people using it, and the fact that at 5Ghz you can aggregate more channnels. As there is less congestion AND 5Ghz has less range so does not interfere, so aggregating the channels is less of a problem, also by doing this you can increse the bits per second rate, thus allowing you to watch streaming video and other content that needs a faster rate.

You can choose to run both, so you can support older devices that do not have 5Ghz, or one or the other, it really depends on what devices you are conencting. Remember though, 5Ghz does not have the range of 2.4Ghz, so you may find that you do not see the 5Ghz signal all over your property.

Set the channel selection on both to Auto, the router will then scan the available channels and pick the best ones, at least that is the theory. I tend to scan with my phone to see what the neighbours are using and manually pick the best channels based on that.

I only run 5Ghz as I have another access point at the back of my house also running 5Ghz; fortunately, it appears none of my neighbours is running a 5Ghz station near enough for me to detect, so I run both at maximum bandwidth ( number of channels ).

Hope that helps you a bit.

Associate
Yes, I think you'll need to reboot. Sounds as if it has gone into debug mode, and no-one knows ( at the moment ) what the debug password is!

Did everything we talked about including the re-boot, re-sent the "package" to the router but still can't get access. I even tried using Telnet through Putty but I got the message "connection denied". I am presuming that there isn't an "enable telnet" command in the router as with others and which I am missing!

Any other pointers gratefully received!

Associate
I'd rather use the windows shell telnet than Putty, Putty is great for SSH I use it myself,
but it's quicker to use the command prompt.

Connection denied suggests that telnet is still not enabled. Have u seem my comment about the MAC address being sent in upper case, and you are sending admin as the username and the password you have set on the router itself?

Associate
I'd rather use the windows shell telnet than Putty, Putty is great for SSH I use it myself,
but it's quicker to use the command prompt.

Connection denied suggests that telnet is still not enabled. Have u seem my comment about the MAC address being sent in upper case, and you are sending admin as the username and the password you have set on the router itself?
Mmmm, missed the upper-case bit but yes, I am using the normal login for the router. Another look tonight!

Cheers

Associate
Mmmm, missed the upper-case bit but yes, I am using the normal login for the router. Another look tonight!

Cheers

Bet that will do it. I found that out Saturday night when I rebooted the mode, tried to send the packet using my tablet using RDP and got nowhere, had to sit down at my PC and found out that little nugget.

Associate
Bet that will do it. I found that out Saturday night when I rebooted the mode, tried to send the packet using my tablet using RDP and got nowhere, had to sit down at my PC and found out that little nugget.

Same ol' :(

I was already using upper case so tried lower. No change. Telnet refused the connection despite the "payload delivered" note. I bet this turns out to be really stupid!:rolleyes:

Cheers

Associate
OK, lets try it a different way, send me a snapshot of the page with the stats on, Looks like this:

stats.png

Now whats your password, username has to be admin, you can change the password later if you like, no-one can get at your modem from the WAN anyway.

I will create the command for you, all you should need to do is copy it and paste it to a command prompt, if that doesn't work then you have a really REALLY bizarre problem.

Also, can you post an image of the command prompt when you run telnetenable as you are running it, and you can ping the modem from a command prompt?

Associate
hi all,

I got this today and I'm trying to get it to work with SKY fiber, not with much joy. I'm sure I'm doing something daft!

I've used wire shark to get my username and password - username appears to be the MAC address, in lowercase without the ":" is that correct?

Run the netgear genie but it never asks for username and password. I've then reverted to a manual set-up and picked country = UK, ISP = Sky, VDSL, entered the username and password (copy pasted from text grab from wireshark, spoofed the MAC address etc but it still refuses to connect and the DSL light stays Orange.

Could someone walk me though it? Thanks in advance!

Associate

I got mine working on SKY Fiber so figured I would post this up and maybe it will help someone else :)

Wireshark was producing an incorrect password, so I used one of the online calculators and picked the Sagem F@ST option. Once you have the username and password then go into the Netgear Genie.

In the genie wizard once UK and SKY are selected on the first screen, the second screen will show 3 boxes, the 2nd down "option 61" is where the username|password is entered, ensure you enter the username then the | character followed by the password with no spaces between them. Clone the mac address from the SR102 into box 3.

If like me you get a white light but no internet connection on the router then try a different password, I had this with wireshark password at first but the Sagem F@ST generated password worked for me.

Associate
Wireshark was producing an incorrect password, so I used one of the online calculators and picked the Sagem F@ST option. Once you have the username and password then go into the Netgear Genie.
I think not :)

You are looking at the command packet data being sent to the Sky servers, more likely you were misreading the data, and that is pretty easy to do with wireshark unless you are familiar with it. However the pw generator IS much easier to use!

I also suggest you fill in option 60 and spoof the mac address. From reading the Skyuser forum it seems that sometimes the Sky servers need it, sometimes not. I have found it gets a quicker response from the DHCP server if you do spoof the mac address; option 60 is an also ran but fill it in just in case.

Last edited:
Associate
I think not :)

I also suggest you fill in option 60 and spoof the mac address.

Your probably correct, although the data coming out of wireshark from the client identifier was in the same format as examples I saw elsewhere online. The working version has the same username but quite a different password. Anyway its working which is all that matters. :)

Option 60, thanks for the tip. I presume I enter the mac address including ":" separators, correct?

Back
Top Bottom