Netgear D7000 VDSL modem/router

Associate
Private messaging is disabled for all users except Admins, Dons & Underbosses. This is to prevent excess load on the server. Please do not post on the forums to ask if PMs can be enabled.

Go over to the Skyuser forum, if you are not a member then join, you'll find me on there with the same username. PM's are allowed on that site.

Associate
The private messge was received and the problem is now resolved...

For anyone else having problems getting telnet access with telnetenable please note:

The mac address is entered as follows in UPPERCASE only

AABBCCDDEEFF not AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF

All is now well with the world... :)

Man of Honour
Confused... why does it say under Private Messaging, if you search for it, what I posted in #282, and it says squat about trust. :)

PM's are as you say for Mods etc.. and its a different system, but if you click on your trust and activate it, then it allows communication via email, primarily used for the Members Market transactions but can be used to talk to someone privately if needed? :)

Associate
Sadly still drawing a blank. The telnet is looking for a login admin and password. The CMD prompt is "D700" so it seems that it is trying to connect to the modem. I enter the login but when I try to enter the password, no characters are shown and the login fails. I haven't had a chance to re-boot the router as my wife is working from home today so I guess that's a task for tonight.

Hi pdes, not sure if you got this sorted, I had a fight for a while with it too. I tried 1000 things to get telnet enabled, so I dont know which one worked, but the debug url (http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug) seemed to say it had ebabled telnet. Then I get a prompt like this:

Code:
D7000 login:

...and when I type root and hit enter I'm at the command prompt.

As for DSL Stats, I had to monkey a bit with the settings there too - username and password blank, and then 'command to enter shell' set to 'root'

So these settings:
Code:
IP Address: - set to the IP of your router
Telnet login name: - leave blank
Telnet password - leave blank
Telnet port - 23
tick the box  " Requires command to enter shell"
Shell command - root
CLI command prefix - xdslctl

Hope that helps :)

For the information of others I bought this router to replace talktalk's "super" router, which in my case turned out not to be super at all, but rather useless. It stayed synced to the DSL for days, no problem, but would stop routing traffic to the internet sporadically, and the solution was to reboot or restart the DSL connection. They sent me a second router, it did the same. I bought the TP-link 9980, and it synced at 1/2 the speed, and the wireless range wasn't great, so I sent it back. Then I bought this D7000, and the wireless range is great and sync speed as good as talktalk, and most importantly it works continuously and consistently.

Associate
See message #283

You can do it your way too, it's just more complex :)

Well done for finding that the username was root, hadn't thought of going into Busybox that way... obvious really..:o

Associate
See message #283

You can do it your way too, it's just more complex :)

Well done for finding that the username was root, hadn't thought of going into Busybox that way... obvious really..:o

Yeah, I thought about rebooting and trying again etc, but I wanted to leave it connected so I could report the results to talktalk properly.

Associate
Does anyone tips on setting up the VPN, I've followed the instructions and can't get it to connect.

Does it have to be on a outside network to work as that's what I haven't tried yet.
Here is the vpn client log

Sat Sep 19 09:19:56 2015 Data Channel MTU parms [ L:1592 D:1450 EF:60 EB:143 ET:32 EL:3 AF:3/1 ]
Sat Sep 19 09:19:56 2015 Local Options String: 'V4,dev-type tap,link-mtu 1592,tun-mtu 1532,proto TCPv4_CLIENT,comp-lzo,cipher AES-128-CBC,auth SHA1,keysize 128,key-method 2,tls-client'
Sat Sep 19 09:19:56 2015 Expected Remote Options String: 'V4,dev-type tap,link-mtu 1592,tun-mtu 1532,proto TCPv4_SERVER,comp-lzo,cipher AES-128-CBC,auth SHA1,keysize 128,key-method 2,tls-server'
Sat Sep 19 09:19:56 2015 Local Options hash (VER=V4): '39ac68d4'
Sat Sep 19 09:19:56 2015 Expected Remote Options hash (VER=V4): 'de0ebdfe'
Sat Sep 19 09:19:56 2015 Attempting to establish TCP connection with [AF_INET]xx.152.7.xxx:12974 [nonblock]
Sat Sep 19 09:19:56 2015 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1442650796,TCP_CONNECT,,,
Sat Sep 19 09:20:06 2015 TCP: connect to [AF_INET]xx.152.7.xxx:12974 failed, will try again in 5 seconds: The system tried to join a drive to a directory on a joined drive.
Sat Sep 19 09:20:11 2015 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1442650811,RESOLVE,,,
Sat Sep 19 09:20:11 2015 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1442650811,TCP_CONNECT,,,
Sat Sep 19 09:20:21 2015 TCP: connect to [AF_INET]xx.152.7.xxx:12974 failed, will try again in 5 seconds: The system tried to join a drive to a directory on a joined drive.
Sat Sep 19 09:20:26 2015 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1442650826,RESOLVE,,,
Sat Sep 19 09:20:26 2015 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1442650826,TCP_CONNECT,,,

any advice. Thanks

Associate
That's right, you cannot VPN into the LAN you are already part of so you have to connect on the WAN side.

For testing, I use one of my mobile phones, turn the wifi off and use the 3G/4G connection. Then I set the phone as a wifi hot spot and connect to the phone using either my Android tablet or laptop, then I can connect using VPN. Note it does not work with iPhones or iPads at present.

Associate
That's right, you cannot VPN into the LAN you are already part of so you have to connect on the WAN side.

For testing, I use one of my mobile phones, turn the wifi off and use the 3G/4G connection. Then I set the phone as a wifi hot spot and connect to the phone using either my Android tablet or laptop, then I can connect using VPN. Note it does not work with iPhones or iPads at present.

Got it working now thanks, rebooted the router and it all started working and connected.

Associate
Is openvpn client app not available on iOS?

The iOS client supports "dev tun", Netgear uses "dev tap". I was told, earlier in this thread I think, that it will be fixed in firmware early next year. Not an issue for me as I have an old RT-56U acting as an access point and also doing the VPN duty.

Soldato
OP
The iOS client supports "dev tun", Netgear uses "dev tap". I was told, earlier in this thread I think, that it will be fixed in firmware early next year. Not an issue for me as I have an old RT-56U acting as an access point and also doing the VPN duty.

That is the same as Android. As far as I am aware the openvpn client app is the only one that allows it to work by using the windows files that the Netgear produces.

Associate
That is the same as Android. As far as I am aware the openvpn client app is the only one that allows it to work by using the windows files that the Netgear produces.

True, but there is an open VPN app for Android yoiu can purchase on the play store that works, its a few quid so not particularly cheap by app standards but it does the job. Just nothing like that for iOS.

Back
Top Bottom