Netgear D7000 VDSL modem/router

SMN

SMN

Soldato
My D7000 arrived today, going to hook it up to my Sky Fibre tonight. Aside from using wireshark to get the Sky username/password, is there a guide anywhere on what settings to use to configure the modem? (i had a look on page 1, etc and couldnt find anything).

TIA!

Associate
My D7000 arrived today, going to hook it up to my Sky Fibre tonight. Aside from using wireshark to get the Sky username/password, is there a guide anywhere on what settings to use to configure the modem? (i had a look on page 1, etc and couldnt find anything).

TIA!

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extracting-sky-router-passwords/59028-simple-tool-extracting-username-password-your-router.html

Message #1 on that thread.

also

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-fibre-help/50485-known-working-third-party-routers-sky-fibre-26.html

Message #257

also

http://s12.postimg.org/m5uc1jjjx/Settings.png

Gives instructions for the D6400 but its the same.

Associate
Going to find a Windows laptop to use and log a graph with stats. It's a shame it's dropping. Would this be a Broadcom/ECI incompatibility?

Is there a way to avoid DSLAM dropping my bandwidth and latency when unplugging?

When rebooting or unplugging always leave 30 mins between powering down and powering back up. DLM will not see this as a line drop/ retrain reason.

The last update i had from netgear was that it was a Broadcomm issue and they were looking into it. Remember, this product has a new chipset from broadcomm so suspect it is a driver issue.

Soldato
When rebooting or unplugging always leave 30 mins between powering down and powering back up. DLM will not see this as a line drop/ retrain reason.

The last update i had from netgear was that it was a Broadcomm issue and they were looking into it. Remember, this product has a new chipset from broadcomm so suspect it is a driver issue.

May well end up going your route and getting the D7800 if problems do persist.

Upstream SNR is solid though.

Associate
Had to give the VDSL back to the HG612. D7000 on EWAN now.

Since Wednesday my attenuation had gone up. Had a chance today to put the hg612 back online and immediately the attenuation is back to where it was and looking at the tones something is definately amiss.

Michty if you get a chance look at the tones comaparing today at 4pm with Wednesday at 4pm you'll see what I mean.

I will probably have to send this one back, but I need to configure up something else to take its place first.

Soldato
OP
Had to give the VDSL back to the HG612. D7000 on EWAN now.

Since Wednesday my attenuation had gone up. Had a chance today to put the hg612 back online and immediately the attenuation is back to where it was and looking at the tones something is definately amiss.

Michty if you get a chance look at the tones comaparing today at 4pm with Wednesday at 4pm you'll see what I mean.

I will probably have to send this one back, but I need to configure up something else to take its place first.

I've just had a look. Looks like it has jumped from roughly 14 up to 18db and can see it has dropped again. I assume that was from connecting the HG612.

Have you tried a reflash of the firmware to see if that helps?

Associate
I've just had a look. Looks like it has jumped from roughly 14 up to 18db and can see it has dropped again. I assume that was from connecting the HG612.

Have you tried a reflash of the firmware to see if that helps?

No, not tried a reflash and for the moment I need to leave things working the way they are.

I'm in the process of putting together a pFsense device, which, if all goes to plan would mean seperating the Modem from the router anyway. As it is the OR modem has barely generated any FECS or ES at all and my sync has increased to over 71 again after dropping to 69.

I will try a reflash, probably when SWMBO is away in a couple of weeks. If that makes no difference then I'll talk to Netgear. It's useful if nothing else to have it in reserve if the OR modem fails.

Soldato
OP
No, not tried a reflash and for the moment I need to leave things working the way they are.

I'm in the process of putting together a pFsense device, which, if all goes to plan would mean seperating the Modem from the router anyway. As it is the OR modem has barely generated any FECS or ES at all and my sync has increased to over 71 again after dropping to 69.

I will try a reflash, probably when SWMBO is away in a couple of weeks. If that makes no difference then I'll talk to Netgear. It's useful if nothing else to have it in reserve if the OR modem fails.

Let us know how you get on I' still eyeing up the new Billion when ever that will be released I think it has been delayed yet again

Associate
I quite like the idea of running pfsense, I run a couple of servers and I did see a lot of attempts from china and vietnam to access my vpn when I was running the Draytek. I cannot see that data with the Netgear but it does not mean its gone away. With pfsense I can block by country or ip range and just forget about it, they won't get in. Ordered the hardware should be here by Thursday, its a 1Ghz dual core board in a little box with 3 gigabit ports so should be perfect.

I had not run the OR modem for well over a year and I'm pleasantly surprised by how its performing.

Soldato
Anyone find this helps their connection speed with Sky? Been reading as a potential upgrade and some people are saying they go from 60mb to 70mb (Fibre Pro) just by using this?

Anyone had similar experience?

Soldato
OP
Anyone find this helps their connection speed with Sky? Been reading as a potential upgrade and some people are saying they go from 60mb to 70mb (Fibre Pro) just by using this?

It would all depend if your line was being hindered by the Sky unit. If your line is already performing at optimum speed then there will be no benefit apart from greater wifi speed/distance I guess.

Associate

As michty says depends on your existing stats. The biggest jump came with the advent of G.Inp but that only applies if your on a Huewai cab. I can say for a fact that on my line there's no difference between the Netgear and the OR HG612, not in terms of dsl speed anyway.

If you are using an sr102, there well may be an improvement, but 10Mbps... Hmmm:)

Soldato
Now that I have my third AC device in the house and do a fair amount of data transfer between them, I've decided I'd like to get an AC router, bit of an upgrade from the N66U and was looking at the D7000 as a replacement for that and the BTOR modem.

I know the last few pages on here have been related to performance/stability issues, but this just the odd few people and the D7000 still a solid piece of kit to buy, or is it worth the extra dosh and go with the D7800?

Soldato
OP
What cabinet are you on? Huawei or ECI?
Depending how quickly you want a new unit, May be worth waiting to see on the new Billion device, the 8900, which is due for release in December (assuming they don't delay it again)

Soldato
Downstream SNR down to 3.4 but there is no discernible problems. all other stats have not changed, why would this be? I would have though upstream SNR would also change?

Weather has been very poor lately but the modem has stayed linked for nearly 13 days without dropping sync.

Associate
Downstream SNR down to 3.4 but there is no discernible problems. all other stats have not changed, why would this be? I would have though upstream SNR would also change?

Weather has been very poor lately but the modem has stayed linked for nearly 13 days without dropping sync.

Maybe it's telling porkies? :)

Does seem strange that everything is fine though. The real danger here though is obsession, stop looking at the stats. :)

Back
Top Bottom