Netgear D7000 VDSL modem/router

Associate
Flashed the new firmware, can anyone else not access the new LED Control section in the settings?

Not working for me either.

Not really noticing much changing (well apart from more DoS attack logs :rolleyes: but that could be a coincidence)

Are people resetting back to stock after the upgrade?

Associate
Flashed the new firmware, can anyone else not access the new LED Control section in the settings?

I reported this problem to the developers weeks ago while I was using test firmware. Shame I wasted my time?:mad: It'll be interesting to see whether they have ignored other issues I alerted them to.

Associate
They seem to have reportedly fixed a few issues I reported to them. A list of fixes and additions here. No sign of the android/ios support though.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30213

On a side note, I noticed the new billion 8900 device is showing on a UK website for broadband buying.

Another huge disappointment. I "upgraded" this morning as I needed to re-boot following a glitch with the GUI. I have been running the test firmware (v20) for a few months as it has been relatively stable regarding sync speed. I am on a long line and have been getting 8.5-9.5mb at best. I worked with Netgear for a few weeks trying out other firmware but all sync'd at a much lower rate than than V20 so I reverted and lived with the many minor issues.

So today, I thought that the long time from the previous public release and the feedback that Netgear must have got from many others would have made this a worthwhile upgrade. How wrong I was. I loaded the latest release and immediately checked the sync speed - 5.2MB!!!:mad: As you can imagine, to lose 50% of speed after all this is gutting. I re-loaded the V20 test firmware and immediately re-synced at 9.5Mb.

Sadly, I am rapidly losing faith in this box (and the development support). I will mail Netgear with the information just in case someone takes notice but at the moment it feels futile.

Soldato
I've recently swapped to the D7000 and I've noticed a number of drop outs, albeit fairly short, while just general web browsing!

It isn't a huge issue at the moment because it seems to sort itself out within 10-20 seconds and reconnects automatically but I can imagine it will become a problem while streaming content or online gaming so I'd rather get it sorted if I can!

Has anyone else experienced anything similar with this router and is it the sort of thing that might be fixed with a firmware upgrade??

Associate
I've recently swapped to the D7000 and I've noticed a number of drop outs, albeit fairly short, while just general web browsing!

It isn't a huge issue at the moment because it seems to sort itself out within 10-20 seconds and reconnects automatically but I can imagine it will become a problem while streaming content or online gaming so I'd rather get it sorted if I can!

Has anyone else experienced anything similar with this router and is it the sort of thing that might be fixed with a firmware upgrade??

Do you mean the line drops out? or just browsing?

I've had to put my android phone on a static IP as under DHCP the internet would regularly stop working and give a DNS error, then start again in the time you're mentioning. Looking at logs showed multiple DHCP IP assignments to the phones MAC address at that point in time.

Soldato
Do you mean the line drops out? or just browsing?

I've had to put my android phone on a static IP as under DHCP the internet would regularly stop working and give a DNS error, then start again in the time you're mentioning. Looking at logs showed multiple DHCP IP assignments to the phones MAC address at that point in time.

I'm not sure if the line itself drops - basically every now and again when I'll come to load a new webpage it hangs and then comes up with a "cant find page" error (I think it says something about "DNS lookup"!?!?)

My WiFi icon on my laptop (Windows 10) then gets a small yellow exclamation mark over it and the connection says something like "No internet access" but then after I'd say 20 seconds or so, it seems to connect again and all is well with the world!?!? :confused:

I've got all of my devices (wired and wireless) listed with the various IP addresses reserved to the particular MAC address.

Not sure how to interpret logs etc so any assistance in establishing the problem is welcomed!

Associate
I'm not sure if the line itself drops - basically every now and again when I'll come to load a new webpage it hangs and then comes up with a "cant find page" error (I think it says something about "DNS lookup"!?!?)

My WiFi icon on my laptop (Windows 10) then gets a small yellow exclamation mark over it and the connection says something like "No internet access" but then after I'd say 20 seconds or so, it seems to connect again and all is well with the world!?!? :confused:

I've got all of my devices (wired and wireless) listed with the various IP addresses reserved to the particular MAC address.

Not sure how to interpret logs etc so any assistance in establishing the problem is welcomed!

Just a thought. I have had issues like this in the past that have had me running in circles. Turned out to be the browser! Firefox is especially good at "glitches!"

Associate
It's entirely possible i'm going blind, but have they removed the diagnostics page where you could ping and lookup dns names?

Good news is I'm not blind, bad news is yes they appear to have removed the diagnostics page :mad:

It does sound like my DHCP issue, when it has happened look in Advanced->Adminstration->Logs and look for lines like "[DHCP IP: (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" around the time you had issues.

Associate
For those that upgraded to the new firmware, Did you do a full reset or just flash on and go?

Flash and go. I think I read on the Netgear site says that this is Ok. When I flashed back to the "V20 test" again without a reset, everything worked perfectly (except for the ongoing bugs and other issues!).

David

Soldato
OP
Flash and go. I think I read on the Netgear site says that this is Ok. When I flashed back to the "V20 test" again without a reset, everything worked perfectly (except for the ongoing bugs and other issues!).

David

I was always told to do a full reset once the new firmware was installed to flush out any remaining bugs or issues from the previous firmware that it may have stored. I'm away to test the firmware now.
I'm expecting a speed drop though as my SNR is sitting at 5db with a sync of 72Mb. I'm expecting the SNR to go back to 6db.

Soldato
OP
As expected, I've had a speed drop and my SNR is now sitting at 6.5db.
No idea why the drop in speed as it was apparent it would happen prior to the firmware upgrade.
I'll test my HG612 tomorrow and see what that gives me.

Soldato
It does sound like my DHCP issue, when it has happened look in Advanced->Adminstration->Logs and look for lines like "[DHCP IP: (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" around the time you had issues.

OK, my laptop stalled again so I had a look at the logs and found this line:

[DHCP IP: (192.168.0.2)] to MAC address [laptop MAC address] Friday, January 15,2016 19:48:50

The 192.168.0.2 is the reserved IP address for my laptop - surely this means I shouldn't have to set it as a static IP on the machine too??

Associate
OK, my laptop stalled again so I had a look at the logs and found this line:

[DHCP IP: (192.168.0.2)] to MAC address [laptop MAC address] Friday, January 15,2016 19:48:50

The 192.168.0.2 is the reserved IP address for my laptop - surely this means I shouldn't have to set it as a static IP on the machine too??

That's what you would hope!

Annoyingly I noticed an internet drop on my phone last night even though it's now static (is it a coincidence? possibly, wont know without further testing.)

Also now the OH is also complaining about internet dropouts (she's still on DHCP) and I also noticed some other DHCP devices on my network continuously putting that log line.

Think I'm going to set up a syslog server to see how much of this stuff is happening as never had any of these issues with my old draytek.

Soldato
I've changed the laptop to a static IP to see if the situation improves! (left the reservation on the router the same!)

Am I right in saying that the log is indicating when the router is assigning the IP? (ie. for some reason the laptop is losing it's IP address and the router is having to re-assign one - although it's still the same one) and this is the reason for the small break in connection?

Associate
I really don't get this Router. As usual, it was jogging along this morning, from midnight with the SNR at around 5db down and 6db up. Then at around 7:00 this morning, it re-sync'd. I think it has only re-sync'd once before when the SNR went down to -1db! At 7:00 this morning, it resync'd at around 5.4 db down but 16db up! So my up speed has lost some 300k. This thing has a mind of it's own!

Also, evertime I reboot there are different devices listed in the "attached devices". I have an Ethernet bridge attached but it rarely shows in this view. Many devices show without an IP address and others have a device name in the access control window that don't show in the attched devices window.

If you look at the address reserviation list, it shows null entries that offset the ip address selection above the table of existing devices.

There are many great features that outweigh the bad but surely Netgaer have had enough time to stabilize this unit.

I suspect the search for another/better broadcom router will start again soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've started getting wireless drop outs now with the new firmware. Not had a chance to check the modem sync speeds against the HG612 yet though. I may go back to the previous test firmware as I had 50 days uptime without a blip.

Back
Top Bottom