New 120Hz/"240Hz" VA monitor for gamers (Eizo Foris FG2421)

I see that newegg review vega... sad that most people who read your review will have no idea how many of the best panels you have owned.

Thanks. My three samples are all excellent, so I have to go off of that. :)
Some more pics:

Above is solid black. Disregard the "haze" at the bottom. that is the camera picking up some light from the stainless steel.

Solid black, total darkness.

Steam / corner.

Panel uniformity, image quality and just about every characteristic of my panels are great across the board. All were built on 10/04 if that makes any difference. Maybe I am just lucky!

Vega
Would you say this was the best gaming monitor under 500, think I am gonna buy one only think putting me off read a lot of reports of people with edge bleed suppose it's down to luck.

Vega
Would you say this was the best gaming monitor under 500, think I am gonna buy one only think putting me off read a lot of reports of people with edge bleed suppose it's down to luck.

It does look like the best monitor currently.. Every LCD in existence can get edge bleed, but getting from better manufacturers such as Eizo, NEC etc. will get you much better quality control.... The cheaper the brand / monitor the more likely you are to get edge bleed, clouding etc. Sometimes its because the big (expensive) brands will get the A+ panels and other brands (cheaper) will get the A- etc. The panels are graded on how close to perfect they are for dead pixels, bleed etc. Also with a good brand like Eizo you have 5 year warranty and if it is not acceptable you can return it. I have a NEC monitor and it has ZERO backlight bleed, I have owned HP, Viewsonic etc. and they all had backlight bleed... So getting Eizo, NEC etc. Gives you the best chance of no bleed. Manufacturers have different quality control, for example one might allow 5 dead pixels / moderate backlight bleed and another manufacturer would not.

Last edited:
Hi Vega,

I've noticed you go through quite a lot of monitors. :)

Is this because you are continually looking for the Holy Grail? Would you say these are currently the best you've used for gaming?

Cheers.

I just love testing new stuff I guess lol. Yes, these are the best displays overall for gaming out there.

just received mine today really pleased with it, the build quality is excellent far better than what i have seen from asus and samsung, the blacks are amazing just like my old pioneer plasma,
when i fired up BF4 is when the monitor shines it looks stunning and miles smoother than my asus 120hz you can really tell the difference.
I much prefer it over the 1440p for gaming it runs far smoother,
if you are just a gamer like me and only play games this is the monitor to buy, if you use the monitor for photo editing, and business related stuff i would choose a 1440p.
I was shocked by the packaging it came in, it was terrible, was expecting better didn't even mention it was gaming monitor

i rated this 9 out 10

if anyone has some good settings for it can you post them
thanks

Last edited:
just received mine today really pleased with it, the build quality is excellent far better than what i have seen from asus and samsung, the blacks are amazing just like my old pioneer plasma,
when i fired up BF4 is when the monitor shines it looks stunning and miles smoother than my asus 120hz you can really tell the difference.
I much prefer it over the 1440p for gaming it runs far smoother,
if you are just a gamer like me and only play games this is the monitor to buy, if you use the monitor for photo editing, and business related stuff i would choose a 1440p.
I was shocked by the packaging it came in, it was terrible, was expecting better didn't even mention it was gaming monitor

i rated this 9 out 10

if anyone has some good settings for it can you post them
thanks

Did you move from a 27" 1440p monitor to this one? If so what are your thoughts on the size difference? I am really tempted buy this monitor but it is expensive and i'm not sure I can live with such a small screen after using a 27" for the last year.

i went from a 23" asus 120hz, my desk is small and sit around 2-3ft off screen so this size is perfect for me, 27" is too big.
You could always buy it, try it for 4 days if you dont like it return it.
If you do lots of gaming you cannot go wrong with this monitor, its the best gaming monitor you can buy at the minute,
Every review i have read gives it top marks plus you get 5 year warranty.
thanks

Doing some comparison of the Asus 4K monitor versus the Eizo Surround setup. I could not directly put the setups next to each other due to the incredibly short cable distance allowed under 4k 60 Hz.

First thing I noticed as I turned on the power switch is just terrible black levels, IPS glow and the bezel pinching the corners of the display causing back light bleed. The picture below is a bit exaggerated like normal, but it is still very apparent in real viewing:

A close up of the worst corner, bottom left:

je4o.jpg

White's were all blotchy/cloudy:

kkf5.jpg

Games look great with the resolution and clarity, but here you can see quite bit of motion blur, especially with the people in the stands.

kx23.jpg

The deadly AFK smooth camera spin of Skyrim. Extremely difficult test for motion blur. Unfortunately the 4K Asus does about the worst I've ever seen in this test:

cml4.jpg

In real world viewing, when you are panning the camera around in something like Skyrim or an FPS, you really can't see anything until you stop the movement due to the smearing. Obviously I could not recommend the monitor for gaming.

I will say though, on bright static images, the 4K display is quite gorgeous! 4K resolution is the future, it's just currently in a very immature state.

The 3x Eizo setup handily serves the 4K it's butt on a platter for gaming. Like all IPS displays, they will be destroyed by the black's and contrast ratios of VA panels like the Eizo. The Eizo FG2421 isn't only a VA panel, it is an extremely good VA panel that puts out some of the best black and contrast ratios in the business.

Switching between the Eizo, the 4K IPs, the random TN panels around here is just a night and day difference. Once you get used to super blacks and contrast ratios and no glowing screens, it's hard to go back! There is a down-side with the black crush/gamma shift, but it's a small price to pay. Plus the Eizo's strobing backlight motion clarity, it's just no contest.

Add onto the fact 120 Hz 4K monitors could be a half a decade or more away, I could see myself hanging onto this 3x Eizo setup for quite a long time. It does everything really well. I may even try and get 5x1 working with AMD.

Back
Top Bottom