New 120Hz/"240Hz" VA monitor for gamers (Eizo Foris FG2421)

Nice review there Vega, it works well with the TFTcentral review. I definately want one of these but 27" with better colours would be even better.

Why is that TN in your photos so red? I know TN colour is poor but not that bad surely?!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Yes, a 27" version at 2560x1440P 120 Hz would be simply amazing. It would be DP 1.2 only though, as that is the only current connection that can handle the bandwidth before HDMI 2.0 gets into products. And it would have to be MST mode, as current transmission controllers cannot handle that bandwidth single stream.

So there are reasons why some things aren't done. In the meantime, I will be putting three of these bad boys in portrait Surround. If I can find a way to do it with 290x's, I just may go all the way to 5x1.

As for photo's, remember cameras cannot accurately reproduce everything your eyes and brain can.

I was just playing around with the Eizo screen manager pro software, this thing is great! It allows me to adjust all of my settings on all three monitors at once from a taskbar icon. This is awesome for multi-monitor setups, especially de-bezeled ones. Now I don't need to reach for the custom mounted buttons and adjust each monitor individually, just two seconds with the app and bam, done. Sweet think there Eizo!

Just got done stripping one of these bad boys down and custom mounting. There are two VESA holes which make is less problematic to mount. Took like three hours to get everything right.

0uj6.jpg

1 down, 4 to go! :eek:

The EIZO is a great example of this and it would be great to see 120Hz+ IPS models in a similar vein - to most users this would be very appealing even at 1920x1080. It's just more practical for the majority.

What do you think the chances are of seeing an IPS like this in the next 12 months?

The VA has about 7x the contrast ratio, no white glow, similar / faster pixel times, no overshoot, 120/240hz, acceptable viewing angles, other than slightly better colour why would you want to downgrade back to IPS? VA is clearly the way forward.... I think people have got too used to only having IPS as a good option.... Time to move forward and actually have good contrast ratios on PC monitors.... Like plasma and good VA LCD TV's have had for about 5+ years now...

Last edited:
Guys

Now available from OcUK:-

EIZO Foris FG2421 23.5" 240Hz Widescreen Gaming LED Monitor - Black/Red @ £443.99 inc VAT

MO-004-EO_400.jpg

Experience fluid gameplay free from motion blur with the gaming industry’s first 240 Hz monitor. EIZO’s Turbo 240 converts 120 Hz input signals to 240 Hz for a refresh rate double that of conventional gaming monitors so you can enjoy the smoothest motion display yet for first-person shooter, racing, and other fast-action genres.

Input lag, or the time it takes for commands from a keyboard, mouse, or controller to appear on the screen, can be the difference between hitting your target and missing it. EIZO developed its own integrated circuit to ensure your commands appear onscreen without delay.

Play like the pros with gaming presets from pro gamers such as Counter-Strike legend Patrik “cArn” Sättermon and Dota 2 player Johan “n0tail” Sundstein. Use the bundled software, ScreenManager Pro for Gaming, to download these and other presets from gaming.eizo.com or to export your own presets.

The FORIS FG2421 uses a new VA (vertical alignment) panel with a native contrast ratio of 5000:1. This is 5 times more than what other gaming monitors offer and increases the visibility in dark scenes so you can spot enemies more quickly.

The rear cabinet design features an LED backlit EIZO logo on a glossy surface surrounded by a vermillion frame. The logo glows brilliantly in a dimly-lit room or in a tournament setting. The front cabinet has a simple design so you can focus on the screen.

EIZO’s five-year warranty is two years or 67% longer than the standard three-year warranty of most brands.

Specification:-
- Panel Type: VA
- Size: 23.5" / 59.8cm (598mm diagonal)
- Native Resolution: 1920x1080 (16:9 aspect ratio)
- Display Size (HxV): 521.3 x 293.2mm
- Pixel Pitch: 0.272 x 0.272mm
- Grayscale Tones: 256 tones (a palette of 1021 tones)
- Display colours: 16.77 million from a palette of 1.06 billion
- Viewing Angles: 176 / 176
- Brightness: 400cd/m (Turbo 240: off)
- Contrast ratio: 5000:1 Typical (15000:1 with Contrast Enhancer)
- Response Time: Less than 1ms (Turbo 240: ON, Monito spec)
- Connections: 1x DisplayPort, 1x DVI-D (with HDCP) & 1x HDMI
- USB Hub: 2 Ports
- Power Saving: Less than 0.5W
- Standby Mode: Less than 0.5W
- Stand: 60mm Height adjust, 25 degress up tilt and 344 degrees swivel
- Dimensions: 563.5 x 391 - 451 x 200 mm
- Weight: 6.2kg
- Warranty: 5yr
- TFT Central Review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_fg2421.htm

Only £443.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Excellent news, but about 7 hours too late for me :( never mind, you do have ALL my other business.
Will let folks know on here just how good it is when mine arrives, without all the technical jargon. Basically hows does BF4 play/look!!

Just got done stripping one of these bad boys down and custom mounting. There are two VESA holes which make is less problematic to mount. Took like three hours to get everything right.

1 down, 4 to go! :eek:

If there are existing VESA holes, how likely do you think it is that EIZO could release an official mounting bracket .... or in order to expose these, does one need to de-bezel as well as remove the stand / mount?

P.S. Gibbo, could you ask Eizo about this when next you have contact with them? :3

Last edited:
damn, was expecting pre order discounts. Ill wait a bit and hopefully something will happen :D

I think price will come down. Continental (European) prices usually lead the UK. They started at around the £440-450 mark a couple of weeks ago, but already some German and Austrian retailers have it for £410-415.

I'd be shocked if there aren't some deals for £390-400 by Xmas / NY.

Eizo are a high end brand with high end prices... Doubt we will see them go down much. Especially as they are the only people with a 120/240hz VA monitor.

Most epic display setup I have ever built. The image quality and incredible black/contrast ratios are only magnified at this size. Took a few days to get everything just right. Now that such a setup no longer has any large pitfalls, I can see me having this setup for many years. Well, unless they come out with a 2560x1440 version. :)

jv5n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom