New 120Hz/"240Hz" VA monitor for gamers (Eizo Foris FG2421)

I have been reading about this new tech on [H] forums....

Someone took it apart and it has a new sharp 10 bit 120hz VA panel in it.... Apparently AOU are making 24 and 27" 1080p 120hz VA panels as well.... Maybe sharp will release a 27" version....

This is exciting to me because I hate TN screens and although IPS is alright the white glow and contrast is frankly rubbish.... So I think within the next 6-12 months we should be seeing 24" and 27" 120/240hz VA panels..... If a 27" comes out I will be getting that and finally replacing my 20" NEC WGX2 postage stamp... It has served me well for about 7 years! I have always wanted a screen with high contrast ratio, 120hz etc. But I thought this would not happen until OLED comes out, so finally we have some interesting monitors coming out instead of MORE 120hz TN or IPS monitors which are basically exactly the same every year.

The panel is technically 8-bit +FRC but capable of supporting 10-bit colour depth as a result (confirmed with Eizo). Also while AUO did have a couple of 120hz AMVA panels listed back in 2011, I've been told they currently have no plans o produce any. That may change if this Sharp panel takes off perhaps. Not heard of a 27" panel but it wouldn surprise me somewhere down the line :)

The panel is technically 8-bit +FRC but capable of supporting 10-bit colour depth as a result (confirmed with Eizo). Also while AUO did have a couple of 120hz AMVA panels listed back in 2011, I've been told they currently have no plans o produce any. That may change if this Sharp panel takes off perhaps. Not heard of a 27" panel but it wouldn surprise me somewhere down the line :)

I read that it is a 10 bit panel but eizo limit it to 8bit or something... Your probably right anyway.... Think I might just get this 23.5" eizo because they are a good brand. This is expensive but you get what you pay for. Also 1080p at 23.5" is going to look better than 27" 1080p I doubt we will see any 1440p ones although I might be wrong. Don't know if I want 1440p anyway because you would need to remortgage your house to run games at 120fps 1440p. I do not think there are any graphics card which will run every game at 120fps 1440p.

Last edited:

Do you work for TFTcentral or write the reviews?

See my post above. They abandoned that a couple of years ago and as far as I've been told there's currently no plans to make any sadly. Let's hope that changes!

Can't wait for your usual excellent review. Especially the input lag in 240Turbo mode. FlatpanelsHD had it from very low to almost zero, to a Polish website as high as 19ms with an oscilloscope. Oh, and if the backlight strobing is anything like Lightboost, the brightness will affect the strobe length and hence the input lag and motion quality.

In reality, those measurements need to be taken at varying brightness levels in 240Turbo mode. Maybe do a 10%, 50%, 100% runs.

Last edited:
Vega, the brightness setting doesn't seem to impact the strobe length as it happens, there are two "flashes" per frame but the period of on and off always seems to be consistent. more explanation in the review :)

Read this, from 2nd page of this thread.
Gibbo - 1st Nov 2013 said:
Being in discussions with Eizo for weeks, we are a direct account as I used to sell their screens many years ago.

I shall sort it and OcUK will be king, leave it to me and give me a couple of weeks.
:)
So fingers crossed in another week, or so.

VESA Compatible - No

Instant no-buy. Why sacrifice mounting options for a aesthetics on the back you will never see?

Poor show :(

Last edited:
How many people ever mount their screen though, probably a very small percentage!

I do, as do many people who run multi monitor configs, especially Surround/Eyefinity users!

A 100mm mounting is not a big ask :D Could have hidden the VESA mounting behind an aesthetically pleasing panel! :p

How far off a BenQ xl2420t is it exactly? I read your review and you note it's not quite there but I don't think you mentioned quite how far off it is.

I do a lot of Photoshop work, but also use my PC for gaming a lot as well. To me this seems like a no brainer as an upgrade from a HP LP2475w IPS. Would I be right in thinking that?

How many people ever mount their screen though, probably a very small percentage!

I do.

Probably the majority of people who have Eyefinity setups (which these would otherwise be very popular for). There's no reason or excuse to omit this, particularly with someone like Eizo and their background. This is much more expensive than the TN gaming monitors, so the omission is even more puzzling.

Anyway, great review.

Have you heard about any other manufacturers using this panel, or if a 2560x1440 version is likely to be produced?

Back
Top Bottom