New 120Hz/"240Hz" VA monitor for gamers (Eizo Foris FG2421)

Full review now published at TFTCentral:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_fg2421.htm

:) great screen, really enjoyed it!

Great Review, thank you very much.

I only found out from this thread that you were the man behind TFT central, it's a site that I always use when judging new monitors.

I was going to spend money on a new graphics card, but, I think this monitor will be my xmas pressie to myself.

Any thoughts on how would this compare to the Samsung SA700D?

I do.

Have you heard about any other manufacturers using this panel, or if a 2560x1440 version is likely to be produced?

The main players for VA are BenQ, Philips, Samsung and more recently ASUS. They all currently use AU Optronics VA panels only. I am sure they will have their eyes opened by the EIZO's Sharp panel, though. Some of these manufacturers may adopt Sharp's 120Hz VA panel much as they've adopted or will adopt their IGZO panels for 4K models. The exception here is BenQ as they are very much tied to AUO. 2560 x 1440 VA panels of any variety simply don't exist yet and may never exist, a 120Hz model is very unlikely. The number of people who are able to take full advantage of a 120Hz WQHD model is very slim, anyway.

Hmm... after reading the review it seems like the frame double actually causes issues (blur and input lag), which makes me wonder why in Turbo mode the screen doesn't just work at 120Hz (or 60Hz if you select) with the raw input (no doubling) and then applies it's strobing light.

I'm sure it's not that easy or there's more to it than that.

It only causes issues in 60hz mode. When used at 120hz it significantly reduces perceived motion blur. There is a slight pale halo introduced but outweighed by the motion blur reduction benefits. It only adds an additional 4ms of signal processing lag so hardly anything to be worried about

I do a lot of Photoshop work, but also use my PC for gaming a lot as well. To me this seems like a no brainer as an upgrade from a HP LP2475w IPS. Would I be right in thinking that?

The 2475 is a brilliant IPS panel. I would not be moving from it to this one purely for Photoshop...not it's intended market at that price really.

The number of people who are able to take full advantage of a 120Hz WQHD model is very slim, anyway.

Pretty sure they will exist soon enough. How else will AMD and NVIDIA continue to shift high end graphics cards if people don't take up 4k / 120+hz at higher than 1920x1080?

Pretty sure they will exist soon enough. How else will AMD and NVIDIA continue to shift high end graphics cards if people don't take up 4k / 120+hz at higher than 1920x1080?

On many modern titles with the eye candy turned up 120-144fps is tricky enough to achieve with a single high-end GPU at 1920x1080. Such GPUs don't just appeal to those looking for higher resolutions. I admire your optimism though. ;)

On many modern titles with the eye candy turned up 120-144fps is tricky enough to achieve with a single high-end GPU at 1920x1080. Such GPUs don't just appeal to those looking for higher resolutions. I admire your optimism though. ;)

Usually only with silly levels of AA, and I suspect that will come to an end on AMD hardware, with Mantle.

It only causes issues in 60hz mode. When used at 120hz it significantly reduces perceived motion blur. There is a slight pale halo introduced but outweighed by the motion blur reduction benefits. It only adds an additional 4ms of signal processing lag so hardly anything to be worried about

Ah, ok. At the moment I'm choosing between the Dell P2414H and this Eizo.
I do game on my pc a fair bit, but I also do other things like running VM's and lots of reading so a good screen is important, especially a flicker free back lighted one. I see I'd need to keep the brightness above 20% to have a flicker free backlight on the Eizo which as long as that's not very bright (I run my current Dell around 14% brightness) shouldn't be an issue.

Anyhow, I guess it's a case of convincing myself the Eizo would be worth the extra 200 pounds cost over the Dell. (I just need to listen to the part of my brain that's tempting me to buy a i7 4930K ;) )

This screen is rather expensive. Nice review though, Very detailed.

If you use the screen in 120hz mode with the turbo 240 off, to get the lowest input lag possible for games like CS:GO, does this monitor still look good with the response times? Or are there noticeable trails?

My current monitor is a 7 year old NEC 20wgx2 (which I bought after reading the TFTcentral review). I do not really notice any issues with this screen, maybe a bit of blur but not bad compared to my Sony HX723 with PVA screen. So if it is an improvement in standard 120hz mode (no turbo) from the 20wgx2 then that would be good enough for me.

I was speaking generally - some cards struggling to hit 120-144fps in some titles.

Toning down AA certainly helps, but I still think 120Hz at 2560x1440 is too niche for mainstream manufacturers to consider. As an owner of a single GTX 780, which I consider to be a niche product as it is, I do not feel I would get anything much out of a 2560x1440 monitor at 120Hz+. Not on new titles such as Battlefield 4 and others running more demanding engines (on the increase thanks to the PS4 and Xbox One). There is far more appeal for most users at the moment and in the near future from superior quality 1920x1080 models. The EIZO is a great example of this and it would be great to see 120Hz+ IPS models in a similar vein - to most users this would be very appealing even at 1920x1080. It's just more practical for the majority.

On a side note, Nvidia's upcoming G-SYNC technology has generated an explosion of interest as of late. This is particularly attractive for users who can't maintain a frame rate equal to the refresh rate of their monitor. Like it or lump it that is where the majority of users are. This technology's flexibility is something I feel really could pave the way for more viable 'high refresh rate' and 'high resolution' models. For users who have super-powerful systems they can drive the monitor at its full potential. For those that can't maintain such frame rates the refresh rate can scale down dynamically. Aside from potential cost issues, it's a viable approach.

Toning down AA certainly helps, but I still think 120Hz at 2560x1440 is too niche for mainstream manufacturers to consider. As an owner of a single GTX 780, which I consider to be a niche product as it is, I do not feel I would get anything much out of a 2560x1440 monitor at 120Hz+. Not on new titles such as Battlefield 4 and others running more demanding engines (on the increase thanks to the PS4 and Xbox One). There is far more appeal for most users at the moment and in the near future from superior quality 1920x1080 models. The EIZO is a great example of this and it would be great to see 120Hz+ IPS models in a similar vein - to most users this would be very appealing even at 1920x1080. It's just more practical for the majority.

I would prefer to see more of the VA 120hz screens, because the contrast on the VA is about 6x better than IPS screens and no white glow. If they improved the colours on the VA a bit that would be ideal, considering the Eizo costs £444 I think they could have done a bit better with the colour accuracy.

If you use the screen in 120hz mode with the turbo 240 off, to get the lowest input lag possible for games like CS:GO, does this monitor still look good with the response times? Or are there noticeable

Response times are still very low and should be comparable to your NEC I would say which was very responsive for its day. Add to that the smoothness and frame rate bump from 120hz and you will get some nice improvements. The turbo 240 mode only adds ~4ms of lag but really does reduce blurring nicely too

Any thoughts on how would this compare to the Samsung SA700D?
Hard to say without testing it but you will certainly get far better contrast ratio, wider vieiwing angles and more stable image quality from the Eizos MVA panel compared with the TN Film panel of the Samsung. The turbo 240 mode can really help with motion blur reduction too in gaming

Ah, ok. At the moment I'm choosing between the Dell P2414H and this Eizo.
I do game on my pc a fair bit, but I also do other things like running VM's and lots of reading so a good screen is important, especially a flicker free back lighted one. I see I'd need to keep the brightness above 20% to have a flicker free backlight on the Eizo which as long as that's not very bright (I run my current Dell around 14% brightness) shouldn't be an issue.

To get a comfortable luminance of around 120 cd/m2 you don't need to go below 20 brightness so you can avoid PWM that way. Even at lower brightness the PWM frequency is so high and the amplitude so low that it shouldn't cause problems for most

I would prefer to see more of the VA 120hz screens, because the contrast on the VA is about 6x better than IPS screens and no white glow. If they improved the colours on the VA a bit that would be ideal, considering the Eizo costs £444 I think they could have done a bit better with the colour accuracy.

I agree. I really hope that Sharp's 120Hz panel becomes more widely adopted and makes its way into other monitors. I also hope AUO plans something similar and that the 120Hz VA panels continue to evolve. The FG2421 is a great example of just how far we can push VA when it comes to responsiveness, but there is certainly room for improvement in other areas. :)

Back
Top Bottom