New 144hz 4k monitor spotted, INSANE PRICES!!!

Soldato
You mean you could get screen & image retention for that kind of price and still have change to spare....:p

COULD, but its not much of a problem. Even on HDR gaming mode for hours at a time, no issues :p

I wouldn't use it as a monitor but for games and TV.

giphy.gif

:p

Caporegime
You’d need a lot more dimming zones to remove haloing although a 384 zone FALD will still be better than an edge lit, low number of zones backlight when it comes to HDR. mini LED and micro LED in the future will bring more improvements for LCD tech too

thanks for the info BA, I'm guessing it's a limitation of LCD without some very fine control! Looking forward to microLED tbh :cool:

Caporegime
COULD, but its not much of a problem. Even on HDR gaming mode for hours at a time, no issues :p

I wouldn't use it as a monitor but for games and TV.

giphy.gif

:p

:D

And likewise, no issues at all on mine so far (not even had temporary IR), (had mine since November) but then again, I'm not exceeding the recommended luminace i.e. max brightness like some :p

Soldato
At these prices, why aren't they just making OLED monitors? They're allegedly too expensive to make for desktop computers...

Well £2000 is way too much for a small computer monitor, especially for LCD and overly complicated assemblies like FALD back lighting.

Caporegime
At these prices, why aren't they just making OLED monitors? They're allegedly too expensive to make for desktop computers...

Well £2000 is way too much for a small computer monitor, especially for LCD and overly complicated assemblies like FALD back lighting.

The monitor market is not big enough i.e. small customer base so prices have to be a lot higher to make substantial profit from monitors where as the TV market is HUUUUUUUUGE so they can have smaller margins on TVs and still make a **** load purely because of the sheer number of people that buy TVs.

Amongst other reasons i.e. iirc, the OLED tech. used for TVs is not cost affordable (manufacturing costs iirc) to do for smaller displays

Soldato
The only thing I wanna upgrade for is ultrawide or OLED, 144hz/1440p is enough for me, had a 28" UHD panel and the difference at this size isn't worth the extra GPU grunt.

Soldato
OP
These are VA, they better be the best VA you ever saw at that price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
according to their own websites they are based on IPS.

ROG Swift PG27UQ Gaming Monitor – 27” 4K UHD (3840 x 2160), Overclockable 144Hz, G-SYNC HDR, Quantum-dot , IPS, Aura Sync
  • 27-inch 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) HDR gaming monitor with an overclockable 144Hz refresh rate for super-smooth gaming visuals
  • NVIDIA G-SYNC HDR delivers lifelike contrast and color, with the brightest whites and darkest blacks bringing out details like never before
  • Quantum-dot IPS display with a wide DCI-P3 color gamut provides realistic colors and smoother gradation
  • ASUS Aura Sync technology creates immersive ambient lighting and supports synchronization with Aura-enabled components and peripherals
  • New ROG Light Signal casts the ROG logo to create the perfect atmosphere for your gaming setup

Soldato
There has been stagnation in the market. These new monitors will shake that up. Remember how expensive 4K monitors were originally? About £2500. A year or so later, I bought my Samsung 4K for £400.

True, but that's because everyone is doing 4K monitors. Only a few brands will be selling 4K HDR 144hz monitors, as the demand for them won't be as high. That'll keep the price up.

Caporegime
according to their own websites they are based on IPS.

ROG Swift PG27UQ Gaming Monitor – 27” 4K UHD (3840 x 2160), Overclockable 144Hz, G-SYNC HDR, Quantum-dot , IPS, Aura Sync
  • 27-inch 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) HDR gaming monitor with an overclockable 144Hz refresh rate for super-smooth gaming visuals
  • NVIDIA G-SYNC HDR delivers lifelike contrast and color, with the brightest whites and darkest blacks bringing out details like never before
  • Quantum-dot IPS display with a wide DCI-P3 color gamut provides realistic colors and smoother gradation
  • ASUS Aura Sync technology creates immersive ambient lighting and supports synchronization with Aura-enabled components and peripherals
  • New ROG Light Signal casts the ROG logo to create the perfect atmosphere for your gaming setup

Thanks, I did know that and forgot lol

Associate
To start with. If they prove popular, prices will come down.

Considering they are almost 3x the price of the 1440p 165Hz Gsync monitors, surely they are going to be less popular than those? There's absolutely no reason for them to drop the price since these monitors are very niche and they essentially have a monopoly on the tech.

The reason for the proliferation of 4K, is that it was easy to sell to the average punter. More pixels, higher detail, better picture quality. Even my mum can understand that.

Try selling the idea of 4k 144Hz G-sync to the average consumer. They're not going to understand the benefits.

Back
Top Bottom