New 144hz 4k monitor spotted, INSANE PRICES!!!

Soldato
But in order to use this monitor, you perhaps need two RX Vega 64 in CrossFire, or two GTX 1080 Ti, or two nVidia Titan V, in which case you have the sufficient funds in order to afford this setup, anyways. I guess that's how they justify the pricetag.

Who knows what the future holds? My 1080 should be able to play some games at 4k and low/med at decent fps, and as others have mentioned, you usually stick with monitors longer than graphics cards. I'll be keeping my eye on this nearer to Christmas...

Permabanned
Yup, with a good quality 24" 4K 60Hz, I would have no intention to upgrade ever. Only after a defect / when the monitor stops working at all. This might mean 10 years or even 15 years...
Even if there are upgrade paths to 8K 60Hz and 4K 120/144Hz.

Soldato
NO.+doc+nine.gif

Could get an OLED for that kind of price and still have change to spare.

Associate
There has been stagnation in the market. These new monitors will shake that up. Remember how expensive 4K monitors were originally? About £2500. A year or so later, I bought my Samsung 4K for £400.

Agree on all your points and this does feel similar to 4k rollout (I was literally following market and waited long time before I could jump on for less than a grand).

Also expect that they're initially positioning at this price to enable them to keep pricing high on the existing high-end monitors.

Prices will come down - just annoyed that I have to wait... again (to get it at reasonable price!) and also... where's my 32" one - 27" pfft...

Associate
There has been stagnation in the market. These new monitors will shake that up. Remember how expensive 4K monitors were originally? About £2500. A year or so later, I bought my Samsung 4K for £400.

That's true, but only because of competition. There is no competition in the highend gaming monitor space except between ASUS and ACER.

There is nothing like 4K 120Hz coming from anyone else in the foreseeable future so I don't see these prices dropping, if these are indeed the prices.

Don't mean to sound pessimistic and I do hope that prices go down. I just don't see it happening.

Associate
Also just checked the PG278QR which is essentially a 4 year old monitor and that's still RRPing for £600 despite it being a TN. The release of the PG279Q did not drop the price of the PG278Q at all.

Soldato
That's true, but only because of competition. There is no competition in the highend gaming monitor space except between ASUS and ACER.

For now. If the monitors sell then others will jump in. I would prefer to purchase from a higher tier supplier like Dell or LG or Iiyama. Hopefully they are waiting in the wings.

Don't mean to sound pessimistic and I do hope that prices go down. I just don't see it happening.

Time will tell.

Man of Honour
Haloing even with FALD, and £2k+ !!!??? HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

No.
You’d need a lot more dimming zones to remove haloing although a 384 zone FALD will still be better than an edge lit, low number of zones backlight when it comes to HDR. mini LED and micro LED in the future will bring more improvements for LCD tech too

Caporegime
Yup halo'ing +bloom will always be a problem with local dimming.

Saying that, recent developments in edge lit dimming technology for TVs are actually pretty good now:

Bet that’s great for desktop use and pc gaming

Don't use it for desktop (my monitor is for any desktop usage) but yes it is fantastic for PC gaming especially in 120HZ mode :)

What do they say makes people go blind? Too much stroking or sitting 2 feet from a 1000 nit OLED TV?

Both together can't be good! :eek::p

haha :D

You can safely rule the second point out anyway :p, I sit 7/8 feet from mine.

Back
Top Bottom