*NEW* 2015 Dell Inspiron 15 - 7559, i7 6700HQ/GTX960M owners thread

Soldato
OP
I'm looking at buying a refurb model. If everything else is the same, would you pay £25 for the 4k screen?

It's for gaming/travelling/movie watching etc. No video editing which I'd normally expect a 4k screen to be an advantage...

Personally, no. A mate bought his daughter one for her college work (god, we're all getting old) and Windows/some programs are laughably bad at that resolution, especially at the 15" mark.

With Dell though (but please check before hand), you shouldn't have any trouble returning it if it's no acceptable to you

Associate
Damn, shop sold the FHD laptop at the same time I ordered it. Offered the 4k version at the same price though so happy enough.

Edit: Managed to find an 850 EVO M.2 500gb for £112. Happy!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I wasn't overly impressed with the 4K screen. Had it next to mine and it was way too reflective for me to be usable in our office with a moderate amount of morning sun. The one game that was asked for (The Sims something or other) was unplayable at the native res, text was eye test like and buttons/bars were a challenge to click with the touchpad. Was also a tad heavier, iirc. Hope it's ok for you though, I guess it's all subjective!

Associate
hey guys loving my laptop tbh, one problem i have had with it every single time it boots up, it stops on the dell logo screen then after a turn off and back on it loads in but thisis literally every single time i start the laptop, now obviously im assuming its a setting in the BIOS as my 1TB 850 EVO is in instead of the hybrid drive, and although this is going to sound seriously seriously nooby.. this BIOS doesn't read like any other on the boot order and the names are confusing the life out of me! any help would be appreciated, even if its a literally ****taking guide on what exact buttons to press when loading up to get to each the boot screen then a screenshot with what should be in what order!

Soldato
OP
Have you updated the BIOS? There is at least two version out there (from the original)

I'll have a poke in mine tonight if I get the chance. On a 250 Evo it's pretty instant from the Dell splash screen (though I have a system password set) to loading Windows

Associate
Have you updated the BIOS? There is at least two version out there (from the original)

I'll have a poke in mine tonight if I get the chance. On a 250 Evo it's pretty instant from the Dell splash screen (though I have a system password set) to loading Windows

don't get me wrong mate mine is instant once i turn it off and on again, it just gets stuck on the dell logo when it first loads, then soon sa the power is off and back on boots straight in not too sure whats going on atm tbh with you ha, yeah I think I may have to do the BIOS update, with bios updates its always update to the latest one rather than having to do step by step between each one isn't it?

Soldato
Would you still buy this now, given it may be a few months until the new mobile graphics chips come out?

Would you expect the price of this laptop to drop by a bit once the new graphics chips are out, or will supply just vanish?

At the price point (£700-£750), will the new chips be any better than the 960m and i7 in this Dell? Also given that this Dell isn't DDR4 or PCI-e, whereas I'm guessing the new laptop post new graphics chipset release will all be ddr4/pci-e compatible?

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd be incredibly surprised if the new GPUs are in laptops within this price range. I'd bet they'll all be £1,000+

As for whether it'll reduce prices, probably, but it might take time to reach anything but the second hand market.

Associate
A question guys.
What is the 960m compared to desktop wise?

Did have a 970gtx in desktop.... And still trying to get that 980m laptop that I 'think' I need. But this just seems a really good price as I would only game on the 1080p screen.

Associate
Hi guys, read all your comments on this laptop, I am really willing to get myself one f these, but I read that the 960m card does fall behind when you try to play newer gen games. Also I plan to buy this laptop to last at least, 5 or 6 years. Any comments on performance issues and how much future this piece of tech has? Also do you think is it worth spending a bit more for a 970m or even a 980m?

Man of Honour
Hi guys, read all your comments on this laptop, I am really willing to get myself one f these, but I read that the 960m card does fall behind when you try to play newer gen games. Also I plan to buy this laptop to last at least, 5 or 6 years. Any comments on performance issues and how much future this piece of tech has? Also do you think is it worth spending a bit more for a 970m or even a 980m?

I'd very much give up on the idea of this laptop lasting you 5-6 years in terms of keeping up with modern games, at native resolution with half decent settings. In some games it barely cuts it now. Not putting the laptop down, just calling a spade a spade. :edit: to make it really clear just how outdated a 960m will be when it is 6 years old, you have to do take a look in to the past. The 960m is roughly equivalent to a 750ti, or a GTX 480 which was a flagship card when it was released 6 years ago. It stands to reason then that in 6 years, the 960m will perform like a 12 year old card does today. It'll be the equivalent of a 6800 Ultra having a go at Battlefront :o - even a 970m will be the equivalent of a 10 year old flagship desktop graphics card in 6 years time!

The 970m has a 55-100% over the 960m depending on the game and resolution/settings used. When looking through notebookcheck, it's clear that ultra/high @ 1080p isn't going to be an option for long and while I'd say a 970m equipped laptop would be future proof for longer, even then 5-6 is really pushing it, games will be releasing that'll force you to run at low settings and/or drop resolution to maintain 60fps.

For 5-6 years future proofing, you're really talking top of the line IMO, so 980m or even the 980 desktop gpu that is in some laptops. Alternatively look towards the new thunderbolt connected desktop-graphics card add ons boxes that are appearing. Alienware has one - although it runs through a proprietary connector - but I'm not too up to speed with the situation of the others as of yet. The ability to be able to just whack in a desktop GPU is really interesting going forward, as in 5-6 years there's potential to get a big upgrade by buying a - then cheap - 5 year old card.

Then there's the possibility of new mobile Pascal equipped laptops coming... Unless you need a laptop soon I'd wait out for these, the reveal and release of these may shake the market up a bit price-wise.

Associate
Zefan, thats what I was thinking. I am a guy that does not like to throw away or buy unless it is necessary, I have a Vaio which is 7 years old, currently writing from it and it is still working, but I don´t know why, it stopped letting me play games such as league of legends or HS. So Iwant something that will last me just as long or even longer, so I know that for 700/800 pounds this machine is a beast, but I am just wary of the possible frustration of not being able to play games in 2-3 years time. TBH I am thinking about building myself a gaming desktop in the not too distant future, 4 or 5 months, having the laptop when travelling or when going to a mates house or lans abroad. But ill wait for a bit to get myself a laptop. Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom