*NEW* 2015 Dell Inspiron 15 - 7559, i7 6700HQ/GTX960M owners thread

Soldato
After reading around for a bit more, people brought up the point of the the use of the soft-touch materal may make the 7759 age poorly cosmetically, and then also there's the driver issues with Win10, and I'm starting to think may be it's worth spending a bit more getting the 960M gaming laptop with 128GB SSD and 8GB of DDR4 ram instead of DDR3L from MSI/Asus, as they are likely to be more on the ball than Dell when it comes to driver support for their hardware...

How is the experience of using this laptop so far for you guys?

Associate
After reading around for a bit more, people brought up the point of the the use of the soft-touch materal may make the 7759 age poorly cosmetically, and then also there's the driver issues with Win10, and I'm starting to think may be it's worth spending a bit more getting the 960M gaming laptop with 128GB SSD and 8GB of DDR4 ram instead of DDR3L from MSI/Asus, as they are likely to be more on the ball than Dell when it comes to driver support for their hardware...

How is the experience of using this laptop so far for you guys?

Using the latest drivers from dell, I've seen no issues with it in the 10 or so days I've had mine. Just put a killer wireless nic in too and it also works fine. I changed mine out just to max out the spec. The included intel wifi card is just fine. But I chose to change it.

Not a lot wrong if you can pick one of these up for 699. But bare in mind most of the other laptops only offer a 960m with 2GB ram not 4GB. If I were to go from this to the next price bracket I'd be looking at 970m minimum.

Soldato
Using the latest drivers from dell, I've seen no issues with it in the 10 or so days I've had mine. Just put a killer wireless nic in too and it also works fine. I changed mine out just to max out the spec. The included intel wifi card is just fine. But I chose to change it.

Not a lot wrong if you can pick one of these up for 699. But bare in mind most of the other laptops only offer a 960m with 2GB ram not 4GB. If I were to go from this to the next price bracket I'd be looking at 970m minimum.
I see. Guess the only beef I have with it is the soft-touch material. Some people say if you scratch it even lightly, it will be very noticable and would not go away...I guess it baffles me a little on which Dell use aluminum chassis, and then decide to cover it up with soft-touch mat...I much more rather they just have it like the XPS 15 :( (But I guess Dell'd rather save that look for the XPS to charge for a higher price premium...)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dunno, mine's been in and out of my rucksack every day this month and is still looking mint. I notice after the girlfriend has used it there is usually lots of finger/hand prints on it, thankfully narrowed that down to Nivia hand cream and not her being a dirty skank :p Quick wipe with a soft cloth and it's fine.

It's a "budget" mid/high end laptop, there are better machines at this spec, but you pay for that. Also, some of those Asus/MSI laptops with the 960M are fairly well fugly... IMO

Associate
I can't say I've noticed any issue with the finish, i'm sure over time it will wear. But you right Dell making odd decisions not for the 1st time. On the other hand for an I7 and 960m and easy access to upgrade, it's not bad for the money.

I've done some oooh could I have done better for the money searches as this was an impulse buy, and my conclusion was if I was buying with fore thought I'd spec up something twice the price likely, and anything with a 970m is £1000 plus but cutting corners on other areas.

I can only speak as I find if your in the market for a cheap but powerful laptop then I'd recommend this , but if your looking to get better quality and gaming power then I'd say weigh up your options.

Soldato
Still trying to decide between this or the ASUS GL552VW with 960M 256GB M.2 SSD plus 1TB HDD at £910.

Really not keen on taking the panel lottery on the Dell...don't want to end up with a 6-bit BOE on bad luck :o

Associate
Would this be a decent system to buy as a secondary system for when a friends round to play similar games such as CS:GO and H1Z1 just little games like these? as if it is then I could use this on the move when going to my girlfriends as my comp isn't exactly portable hah, and I could use this for my regular 'couch browsing' and other things as once its got an SSD and more RAM in it i assume it'll be more than decent enough?

also could somebody link me a couple of different options for SSD's to throw into this, and link me a suitable additional RAM slot, send me a link to the killer wifi card if thats ok sorry to ask a lot of you guys just prefer it all linked to me! :)

thinking of ordering one and would probably order the rest of the kit with it! only thing scaring me is windows 10 hah I haven't even upgraded my windows 7 laptop yet is windows 10 badd or should I be upgrading my pc to it too?

Associate
also people adding the m2 SSD's have any of you guys changed the 5400rpm hard drive out for anything else yet or left it in as a storage drive?

Soldato
OP
Left it as storage with the Windows 10 install in place in case it needs to go back. Using a Samsung Evo 850 240GB in the m2 slot. OcUK have them but the price is naff imo. 120GB just isn't enough for my needs but the lower capacity version of that drive is pretty solid.

To be honest the machine is great at stock. 8GB is fine for most people and the HDD has 8GB of SSD cache

Last edited:
Associate
you may get in trouble for posting links to other places selling them mate! :)

and erm well ive the 120GB m2 sata for £55 but id probably just pay for the extra 120GB if im honest, ive got a spare samsung 850 EVO 1.0TB SSD kicking around too would I be able to stick this in the laptops actual hard drive bay? ...

before you wonder why on earth ive got one sat around spare, its not technically spare i have one in my pc, and one in an external SSD enclosure attached to my xbox as it makes games just that 30-40% faster loading up ha!

Back
Top Bottom