*NEW* 2015 Dell Inspiron 15 - 7559, i7 6700HQ/GTX960M owners thread

Associate
I paid £675 for my 7559 and I really like the touch material actually, makes the laptop feel more premium. Its true that it picks up fingerprints really easily, but they wipe off so not a massive issue for me.

To be fair, for the specs its a crazy value laptop, so I think that the fact that they bothered to try something other than cheap feeling plastic is actually quite impressive/admirable.

As for the screen, I have the BOE and it really isn't bad at all. My one criticism is that it feels a bit dim when gaming (especially in dark scenes), but its got great viewing angles, doesn't use PWM and mine at least looks great. I think this panel lottery thing has been massively over-hyped, and from what I've read elsewhere the alternate LG screen is more colour accurate but also much more dim.

Glad I got the BOE in that case because I wouldn't want to go dimmer than what I have.

Good stuff, I think the build quality is spot on for what you get, I agree the screen debate is over hyped mine is the BOE screen it's fine. If you want to add some brightness adjust the intel display settings up the saturation to about 15 and brightness to 12-20 depending on taste, the screen then pops.

Soldato
I paid £675 for my 7559 and I really like the touch material actually, makes the laptop feel more premium. Its true that it picks up fingerprints really easily, but they wipe off so not a massive issue for me.

To be fair, for the specs its a crazy value laptop, so I think that the fact that they bothered to try something other than cheap feeling plastic is actually quite impressive/admirable.

As for the screen, I have the BOE and it really isn't bad at all. My one criticism is that it feels a bit dim when gaming (especially in dark scenes), but its got great viewing angles, doesn't use PWM and mine at least looks great. I think this panel lottery thing has been massively over-hyped, and from what I've read elsewhere the alternate LG screen is more colour accurate but also much more dim.

Glad I got the BOE in that case because I wouldn't want to go dimmer than what I have.
Glad to hear you are liking your DELL 7559, but I prefered the look of the ASUS N551VW-FW238T which got i7-6700HQ, 15.6" Full IPS HD Screen, 960M 2GB, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB SSD + 2TB HDD, and managed to find one brand new at £695 plus £25 delivery on the "auction site". Cannot wait for it to arrive and I would most likely replace the 2TB with my SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD :D

Last edited:
Associate
All in all this is good news, competition on useable 15" gaming laptops under £1k sound perfect.

I must admit my Samsung Gamer 7 is still rocking on, i7-2670QM, Radeon HD 6970M and a beautiful bright 120Hz 1080p 17" 3D screen. Plays Diablo, StarCraft 2 and even Battlefield with reasonable settings.

Its heavy though! :)

PS: Moogleys - the LG TV is still kicking a** ;) !

Associate
but for a budget gaming laptop, for instance as a second machine or a mobile machine theres no real competition for the price and the spec you receive yes you can't use a thunderbolt with it but if your only using it occasionally on a desk and buying it as a mobile device then surely its good enough? :) or atleast I hope ordering mine today, as a machine I can use at the girlfriends and also a machine I can set up for a friend as a second machine for when were having a little blast of H1Z1 or CS:GO Spec level games together ha! :)

Soldato
It's a great machine for the price. The 960m is fairly capable and runs most games with decent settings.

I found the screen horrid. I have no idea which panel it was but it was a bit washed looking and the contrast was well off. You can buy cheap decent panels so could be an option if you get one with a bad screen.

For £750 I doubt you will find much as good with the hardware include tbh.

Associate
I have to agree with Moogleys. Mine arrived on friday and I'm really chuffed with it. For the price its an absolute steal. Having always built my pc's on a budget this feels like I've got a real capable machine for once and the fact i'm mobile means I can sit in the living room now.

My screen isn't particularly great, i'm no expert but I find the text round the edge like the tabs in steam aren't crisp and slightly blurry.

If I could sort that out i'd give it a 10/10.

Caporegime
I have to agree with Moogleys. Mine arrived on friday and I'm really chuffed with it. For the price its an absolute steal. Having always built my pc's on a budget this feels like I've got a real capable machine for once and the fact i'm mobile means I can sit in the living room now.

My screen isn't particularly great, i'm no expert but I find the text round the edge like the tabs in steam aren't crisp and slightly blurry.

Considering the screen clarity is so critical, especially on that screen size, that is disappointing to hear and would be a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:
Associate
Like I said I'm not an expert and my other laptop is a Macbook with retina so it might just be that. I also noticed that the settings were at 125% magnification so might try play with it. I read that you can alter the saturation and other settings and see a significant improvement. In games I haven't noticed anything similar round the edges btw.

Soldato
Considering the screen clarity is so critical, especially on that screen size, that is disappointing to hear and would be a deal breaker for me.

It's still better than a lot of cheaper laptops and for Gaming it's perfectly fine considering the cost. If you have nothing else to compare it too you will more than likely find it acceptable. I had my G751 at the time and yes sat next to that it looked pretty awful tbh but the G751 cost more than twice the price so this is to be expected.

You can easily replace the screen and you can find decent panels for under a £100 if you find it not up to scratch. But tbh if all you are doing is a browsing and gaming then it will more than likely be fine.

I found the WiFi a bit flakey too but that might have been early drivers as most people seem to have that sorted now.

I still think for the price (Under £700 if you haggle) it is a great machine but you have to expect some corners will have been trimmed to get this hardware at the price point....

Associate

The Screen crispness is likely down to windows 10 scaling the screen to 125% drop it to 100% and it is fine as it's 1:1 with the 1080P res.

Associate
I've just literally bit the bullet and ordered mine - £696.58 all in without any haggling due to Dell now offering 7% off all Inspiron & XPS machines worth over £499 when discount code LOVE7 is used :)

Many thanks - Liam.

Associate
So far I've only really installed Xcom 2 and Dota 2 but the gfx seem to be on the highest and it runs like a dream. So happy with it. Trying to convince friends to get one as well while they are such a good price.

Back
Top Bottom