*NEW* 2015 Dell Inspiron 15 - 7559, i7 6700HQ/GTX960M owners thread

Associate
Can someone not post up the site but post up the name of the best/cheapest extra 8GB ram stick i can put in this laptop, and ansewr my SSD question above I assume I can put it in just checking though, also could someone post the name of the better wifi card I can upgrade to i believe its the killer one? or is the standard decent enough? :)

Associate
Google is your friend, I will list the upgrades I made below where you find them is up to you.

Crucial 8GB DDR3L - make sure it's L needs to be as it's 1.35v

Crucial MX200 250GB M2 Sata SSD Type 2280 - needs to be Sata not Pci-e

Killer Networks wireless AC 1535

Brings the spec up nicely I've found. There is also a massive thread on this laptop should be in the first few hits if you google the Dell Inspiron 7559.

Good luck.

Soldato
OP
I've always thought of Killer networking products as snake oil... Is it better than any other branded AC adapter? Mine came with an Intel AC 3165 wifi card, no complaints after updating to the latest driver from Intel, won't be swapping it out personally

Associate
I've always thought of Killer networking products as snake oil... Is it better than any other branded AC adapter? Mine came with an Intel AC 3165 wifi card, no complaints after updating to the latest driver from Intel, won't be swapping it out personally

Yea True enough, I only did it as higher end laptops come with them and its 2x2 as opposed to 1x1 channel card. The Intel did the job just fine as does this, more placebo than anything but at 30 notes though it was worth a try.

Associate
think ill give the killer card a miss then, hmm wondering whether instead of dropping like some cash on an M2 SATA, if i should just clone the HD onto my 1.0TB samsung 850 evo SSD? and stick this inside it instead since ive already got this lying around at home what do you think?

I was going to buy a dual channel kit for it as I thought that would be better but does it not matter?

Soldato
Your 850 Evo will be fine if 1tb of space is enough for you. I would buy a 128gb M2 Drive for the operating system and then use the Evo for other stuff. I like a separate O/S drive personally.

You just need another 8GB stick and it will be dual channel. You do not need matching brands anymore. Just make sure it's the correct speed and voltage.

Associate
Your 850 Evo will be fine if 1tb of space is enough for you. I would buy a 128gb M2 Drive for the operating system and then use the Evo for other stuff. I like a separate O/S drive personally.

You just need another 8GB stick and it will be dual channel. You do not need matching brands anymore. Just make sure it's the correct speed and voltage.

sweet thanks for your help! :)

yeah may just buy a separate M2 drive anyway then! :)

Associate
I just know I personally don't need the 1TB of space from the 5400rpm HD, and having used one of those before I know how aggrivatingly slow they can be, so putting SSD's in is the first priority

Soldato
Just wondering is the process of transferring the Windows installation from the 1TB SSHD drive to a M2 SSD drive (that has small capacity) an annoying thing to do?

If you buy a Samsung SSD drive you can use Samsung Magician data migration software which will do everything for you. It will Re-size the partitions automatically.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

Also as the PC comes with Win 10 you can download and create a Win 10 recovery USB from Microsoft and do a fresh install. You just need to boot up the PC and sign into your MS account first so it saves the activation of the system.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Last edited:
Soldato
I just know I personally don't need the 1TB of space from the 5400rpm HD, and having used one of those before I know how aggrivatingly slow they can be, so putting SSD's in is the first priority

If you don't mind having your O/S on the same drive I would just use the 850 drive. You will not gain any speed advantage from buying an M2 drive as the 7559 uses Sata M2 drives.

Associate
If you don't mind having your O/S on the same drive I would just use the 850 drive. You will not gain any speed advantage from buying an M2 drive as the 7559 uses Sata M2 drives.

cool thanks for this info may just keep my SSD drive then as ive got the same drive in my pc atm, running my OS and and keep all my files on it too! :)

although tempted to buy a small pci-e m2 ssd, for my PC to use for boot but heard that these wont necessarily quicken anything up bootwise?

Associate
Moogley is this the one im after? it just says for MAC but wasn't sure if this would work anyway ha probably a very nooby question but yeah let me know asap? :)

Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM Memory for Mac
CT8G3S160BMCEU
Brand: Crucial
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Series: Crucial
Form Factor: SODIMM
Capacity: 8GB
Specs: DDR3L PC3L-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3L-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64 • lead free • halogen free • for Mac

Associate
and Moogley don't suppose you can confirm how well this laptop runs with the m2 and ram upgrades on h1z1, or CS:GO can you? temp wise and stuff? :)

im not expecting it to blow me away as its a cheap model just more of a portable comp i can take with me when I go to my mates or girlfriends and can still enjoy the occassional game on it obviously with an external mouse!

then when my friend comes down ill hook it up to one of my 25" ultrasharps and let him game via the laptop which should be satisfactory for my needs! :)

Soldato
Moogley is this the one im after? it just says for MAC but wasn't sure if this would work anyway ha probably a very nooby question but yeah let me know asap? :)

Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM Memory for Mac
CT8G3S160BMCEU
Brand: Crucial
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Series: Crucial
Form Factor: SODIMM
Capacity: 8GB
Specs: DDR3L PC3L-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3L-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64 • lead free • halogen free • for Mac

The specification looks good should do the job nicely. I see no reason why it will not work in your laptop as far as I'm aware Mac's use standard Sodimm's. The one I had a while back certainly did....

Soldato
and Moogley don't suppose you can confirm how well this laptop runs with the m2 and ram upgrades on h1z1, or CS:GO can you? temp wise and stuff? :)

im not expecting it to blow me away as its a cheap model just more of a portable comp i can take with me when I go to my mates or girlfriends and can still enjoy the occassional game on it obviously with an external mouse!

then when my friend comes down ill hook it up to one of my 25" ultrasharps and let him game via the laptop which should be satisfactory for my needs! :)

I no longer have the machine only had it to do a review. It has a 4GB 960M and tbh will run them games with ease. I had it running GTA V with decent settings and it ran well.

The cooling is very good on this machine so the temps will be good with no throttling. It can get a little noisy but no more than expected for a small ish laptop with decent internals.

How are you getting it so cheap ?

Associate
I no longer have the machine only had it to do a review. It has a 4GB 960M and tbh will run them games with ease. I had it running GTA V with decent settings and it ran well.

The cooling is very good on this machine so the temps will be good with no throttling. It can get a little noisy but no more than expected for a small ish laptop with decent internals.

How are you getting it so cheap ?

went onto dells live chat haggled with the customer service agent first think he knocked me down to around £696, for the basic £750 one.. then looked into their VIP section for anybody at uni or in a small business, the company i work for order dell precisions for the developers and stuff around here, so assumed they had some kind of deal set up with DELL mentioned all this in an email to the guy they told me to email about sales, and somehow managed to either go under the radar or actually be eligible!

hence the £674.10 pricetag! tried selling me it for £710 with windows 10 pro but considering i hate windows 10 in general and will be debating whether or not to put my own copy of windows 7 pro on it its safe to say ill be going for the cheaper option!

thank you for all your help and info that 8GB ram stick is only £30 so going to pick that up! then decide whether or not an m2 SSD's worth it or just to stick my evo from the xbox that ive barely been using in it! :)

Associate
I see. Guess the only beef I have with it is the soft-touch material. Some people say if you scratch it even lightly, it will be very noticable and would not go away...I guess it baffles me a little on which Dell use aluminum chassis, and then decide to cover it up with soft-touch mat...I much more rather they just have it like the XPS 15 :( (But I guess Dell'd rather save that look for the XPS to charge for a higher price premium...)

I paid £675 for my 7559 and I really like the touch material actually, makes the laptop feel more premium. Its true that it picks up fingerprints really easily, but they wipe off so not a massive issue for me.

To be fair, for the specs its a crazy value laptop, so I think that the fact that they bothered to try something other than cheap feeling plastic is actually quite impressive/admirable.

As for the screen, I have the BOE and it really isn't bad at all. My one criticism is that it feels a bit dim when gaming (especially in dark scenes), but its got great viewing angles, doesn't use PWM and mine at least looks great. I think this panel lottery thing has been massively over-hyped, and from what I've read elsewhere the alternate LG screen is more colour accurate but also much more dim.

Glad I got the BOE in that case because I wouldn't want to go dimmer than what I have.

Back
Top Bottom