New £3k build - Critique request

Associate
I haven't upgraded/built a PC for approx 4 years now. My current build is a 4790k/GTX970 1080p setup which has been doing very well since 2014. I'm in the process of planning out a new build. I'm looking at approx £3k spend (preferably less!), and something that will hopefully keep up with gaming for another 4 years at least. I'm also upping my monitor to a 2560x1440 (yep I know I could manage 4k with the spec below, but I want a 32" monitor, and 4k just ups the budget too much!)

Any wiseguys out there with advice/constructive criticism on the build? Anywhere I could skim the budget without ruining performance? Good match of components?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,924.15 (includes shipping: £15.30)​

Permabanned
Before you do anything just wait a couple of weeks to see the specs of the new AMD CPU's and NVidia GFX cards.

Associate
If its just for gaming and you want to reduce the budget you can probably ditch the spinning disks. A cheaper case wouldn't hurt performance either.

Associate
OP
Yeah I'm hoping Nvidia releases the 2070/2080 very soon as that could very much effect the current GPU prices. The Case I already have sat empty on my desk, so that's the only dead cert on the list so far :)

Soldato
Yeah I'm hoping Nvidia releases the 2070/2080 very soon as that could very much effect the current GPU prices. The Case I already have sat empty on my desk, so that's the only dead cert on the list so far :)

Next gen is mid Q3 , should have been July :(
Added your case since you've got it to the budget . G-sync 1440p 32" added as well as 360 AIO with a silent pump and more power ! As a heads up Alphacool Eisbaer LT (bequiet silent loop OEM) cools better and quieter then Corsair, 360 review on Google search will show you.
Selected Aorus Ti for £30 more - cools better !
Wasn't sure on drives since you already have a PC ....
F you've got a good i7... @8 Pack ram will hit 4000hz nicely or low timings . If you've got the budget then that's a no brainer
Focus Unit for 10 year warranty

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £3,061.37 (includes shipping: £22.50)

Soldato
I haven't upgraded/built a PC for approx 4 years now. My current build is a 4790k/GTX970 1080p setup which has been doing very well since 2014. I'm in the process of planning out a new build. I'm looking at approx £3k spend (preferably less!), and something that will hopefully keep up with gaming for another 4 years at least. I'm also upping my monitor to a 2560x1440 (yep I know I could manage 4k with the spec below, but I want a 32" monitor, and 4k just ups the budget too much!)

You don't need a new CPU. The new CPUs aren't that much faster unless you have specific multi-core applications like heavy Excel work. Certainly not for gaming. This means you can concentrate your budget on the GPU and monitor. It is rumoured that Nvidia will be announcing new GPUs in about a month. I would suggest you go for 3440x1440 rather than 2560x1440. You may also see monitors gain HDMI 2.1 ports.

Soldato

Think OP has bought the tasty expensive case, in theory, could be put in the Hero X370 , easily one of the best ryzen boards currently, swap out the same for £10 more 8 Pack and run at 3466hz :D
That or drop ryzen 7 1700 to give it longer life span :D

Soldato

Here we go again.....

The op has already bought a case (see post #4)

No need for an optical drive unless he requested one.

The psu is more than needed. A good 650W is enough i.e Seasonic Focus Plus.

An NVMe SSD is a luxury. It won't make much difference in real world usage.

Why the expensive HDD ? A regular Barracuda is a lot cheaper and more than fine for a gaming pc.

Same goes for the ram. A 3000MHz - 3200MHz is the best option for price/performance. No need to drop £250 on a 16GB kit when you can get one for £169ish.

Why the 1800X ? The 1700 is cheaper and comes with a decent stock cooler. Speaking of the cooler, that Antec A30 probably isn't much better than the stock Ryzen one. Only 2 heatpipes and a 92mm fan.

Why the Reference 1080 ti ? The Palit Jetstream in my spec is better for £10 less.

Permabanned
An NVMe SSD is a luxury. It won't make much difference in real world usage.

Why the 1800X ? The 1700 is cheaper and comes with a decent stock cooler. Speaking of the cooler, that Antec A30 probably isn't much better than the stock Ryzen one. Only 2 heatpipes and a 92mm fan.

Why the Reference 1080 ti ? The Palit Jetstream in my spec is better for £10 less.

Luxury budget deserves luxury components.
You must learn to put NVMe SSDs in the cheapest builds, from now on. It is a must put there.

Why Ryzen 1800X?! Because it is easier and will not spend time to adjust the settings in order to get the 1700 working at 4GHz.

The MSI graphics card has a 3-year warranty service, instead of only two, for only 10 pounds more.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Luxury budget deserves luxury components.
You must learn to put NVMe SSDs in the cheapest builds, from now on. It is a must put there.

Why Ryzen 1800X?! Because it is easier and will not spend time to adjust the settings in order to get the 1700 working at 4GHz.

The MSI graphics card has a 3-year warranty service, instead of only two, for only 10 pounds more.

This isn't your money to spend. Maybe you forgot that ? Just because the budget is £3K doesn't mean you waste money on unnecessary items. Unless you win the lottery or money is no object then you should concentrate on price/performance.

That is a poor excuse to warrant the 1800X. Even if the 1700 clocks to 3.8GHz it isn't that big of a deal. It isn't going to make a difference.

The MSI gpu has a rubbish cooler on it. So what if it has a longer warranty ? I would rather have a gpu that doesn't thermal throttle and sound like a hairdryer in the process.

Permabanned
and it's a friggin blower card - OP will sure enjoy the heat, noise and lower boost clocks and lower frame rates.

Reference cards throw the warm air directly out of the case. The non-reference coolers move the warm air to the other components in the case.
The reference cards are recommended for multi-GPU setups where the PCI-E slots are close to each other, respectively the cards.

Read before spreading hatred and nonsense.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/273519-reference-card-vs-non-reference-card/

Man of Honour
Reference cards throw the warm air directly out of the case. The non-reference coolers move the warm air to the other components in the case.
The reference cards are recommended for multi-GPU setups where the PCI-E slots are close to each other, respectively the cards.
and the OP is going to run multigpu? herp derp.
#bad

Permabanned
and the OP is going to run multigpu? herp derp.
#bad

There is a good probability that he will.
But even if he doesn't but instead tries to put water cooler on the graphics card, the reference design is the only possible option. :D

I put a decent PSU capable to support SLi, a graphics card that won't put hot air over the M.2 drive.

Permabanned
i beg to differ.

but thank goodness no one listens to you.
actually having these 'hit the troll' posts are quite fun :D

You don't think. You just act like a clueless robot whose only goal is to put some working configuration for the instant, but what happens afterwards, no one will ever know....

Back
Top Bottom