New £3k build - Critique request

Permabanned
I don't have an issue with recommending AMD. I have an issue with people making stupid hardware suggestions though, such as a 16 core cpu for gaming.

First of all, you never ever recommend AMD-based configurations. And second - will the 16-core processor run games? Yes, it will. Will the 16-core processor last for at least 5 years? Yes, it will.
Will the stupid crappy i7-8700K be already obsolete this autumn? Yes, it will.

Just look at how many poor people ask to replace their crappy i5! And please stop, you! :mad: :mad:

Soldato
First of all, you never ever recommend AMD-based configurations. And second - will the 16-core processor run games? Yes, it will. Will the 16-core processor last for at least 5 years? Yes, it will.
Will the stupid crappy i7-8700K be already obsolete this autumn? Yes, it will.

Just look at how many poor people ask to replace their crappy i5! And please stop, you! :mad: :mad:

I can find you a few builds where I have suggested Ryzen if you want me to make you look stupid :rolleyes:

Any cpu can run games. Spending a third of the budget on the cpu is just plain stupid. Even more so for 4K where the gpu is more important.

And as for the 8700K being obsolete by Autumn then maybe you should start a new thread on that and see how many people agree with you. My guess is about Zero percent.

The i5 has been the goto choice for gaming since the early days of pc's. Of course hardware moves on so they are no longer the goto cpu. My i5 3570K still handles gaming perfectly fine though and it has lasted me 5 years or so.

Permabanned
Your advice has been pretty dumb dude from what I've seen. Stop it and let others with better advice give it.

Which advice? The one that says that gaming is threads starved and games require more than a quad core with eight threads?
The advice that helps people to avoid the scary micro-stuttering? Why do you ignore that micro-stuttering exists and never speak about it?
Or the advice that by the autumn, Intel will release i7-9700K that is proper and the old 8700k will get zero sales then?

Soldato
Which advice? The one that says that gaming is threads starved and games require more than a quad core with eight threads?
The advice that helps people to avoid the scary micro-stuttering? Why do you ignore that micro-stuttering exists and never speak about it?
Or the advice that by the autumn, Intel will release i7-9700K that is proper and the old 8700k will get zero sales then?

Just quit whilst you are ahead. With each post you make yourself look more and more ignorant.

You seem to like making outrageous claims on things. The fact of the matter is the i7 8700K is the best cpu currently available for a pure gaming pc. Like it or not that is a fact. So please remove your AMD tinted glasses. A 16 core cpu has no place in a gaming pc. Go and read some reviews of the 1950X and see how it fares against the 8700K at 1080p/1440p. My money is on the i7 coming out on top. So why would anyone pay out an extra £600 for no gain ?

As for micro stuttering that can be caused by any number of things, so stop trying to make out the cpu is the sole cause.

Permabanned
The fact of the matter is the i7 8700K is the best cpu currently available for a pure gaming pc. Like it or not that is a fact.

It is a fact only in your dreams. Who spends 3000 pounds and plays on 1080p?! That is what is really stupid.
Please, stop insulting. I haven't said a single bad word against you :D

Look:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/best-cpu-for-gaming
Best CPU for gaming
Intel Core i5 8400
Cores: 6 | Threads: 6 | Base clock: 2.8GHz | Turbo: 4GHz | Socket: LGA 1151 v2
Approx. $179 / £156

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-pc-gaming-cpus-processors/
The best gaming processor
Intel Core i5-8400

Soldato
@4K8KW10 I think @lee32uk was referring to 8700k in general as the most powerful for gaming due to highest overclock, IMC, IPC and ram speed ability - but we all agree its a VERY expensive chip, its a VERY hot chip and was a panic more by intel. look at the Z370 and seeing thr H370 boards in coming have equal vrm count and better features then flagship z370 shows it was a rushed job and little in the way of communication with vendors. Z390 is meant to correct this and is still for Hex Coffeelake - 8 core chip cant happen and not on roadmap for this year unless intel can pull something out of the hat with current node. needs to be 7nm or start soldering to help temps , but an 8 core is going to need some series VRM coverage !
I personally use 8700k at 5.1ghz for its sheer power - not currently a fan of intel and nvidia at the moment but needed the quickest CPU there was

i5 8400 and ryzen 1600 is indeed the best gaming for price and performance , but we are British. sales numbers, we only do K chips and Z boards haha EU and asia have far bigger no K and no Z board sales which is a shame . and most new gamers joining PC master race have only heard about intel.

OP if, your after the fastest possible frame rates, go i7 K hands down . looking for a bit more system life span, multitasking , and cheapness , ryzen 1600+ b350 chip set .
If you want to match closely to the i7 K but fancy AMD, 2700x and X470 board- but pricing wise , it wont be far off intel build .

Just avoid x299/x399 as you have no need - specially when x499 is Q4

Soldato
It is a fact only in your dreams. Who spends 3000 pounds and plays on 1080p?! That is what is really stupid.
Please, stop insulting. I haven't said a single bad word against you :D

Look:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/best-cpu-for-gaming
Best CPU for gaming
Intel Core i5 8400
Cores: 6 | Threads: 6 | Base clock: 2.8GHz | Turbo: 4GHz | Socket: LGA 1151 v2
Approx. $179 / £156

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-pc-gaming-cpus-processors/
The best gaming processor
Intel Core i5-8400

Where have I suggested a 1080p build ? Pretty sure the spec I posted above has a 1440p monitor in it.

Also those articles are showing the price/performance option. If the op has the budget for an i7 which he does then that is clearly the best cpu.

Look how well the 1950X does in gaming versus the 8700K. I would be pretty miffed if someone suggested buying it for it to be soundly beaten by a cpu costing £600 less.

2lkzdeb.jpg

Also from your article:

The core i7-8700k is generally the fastest processor for gaming purposes. There are a few games where the additional cores and threads help the i9 pull ahead, but most current games still won't tax much more than a 4-core/4-thread processor, let alone the 6-core/12-thread i7-8700K.

Associate
Poor guy... comes on asking for advice then gets 3 pages of arguments :( (although it does clearly appear as though there is one person causing it all!)

If it was me, I'd just get a 1080ti, new monitor and a Seasonic Focus GOLD PSU (650w) and save nearly half your budget. Your current CPU, board and RAM wont be a bottleneck for gaming at all.

Soldato
Poor guy... comes on asking for advice then gets 3 pages of arguments :( (although it does clearly appear as though there is one person causing it all!)

If it was me, I'd just get a 1080ti, new monitor and a Seasonic Focus GOLD PSU (650w) and save nearly half your budget. Your current CPU, board and RAM wont be a bottleneck for gaming at all.

Always the same unfortunately when @4K8KW10 decides to post in a new build thread.

I agree that his current cpu is still more than capable though. I guess it depends if he just wants new shiny hardware.

Associate
Yeah I've not been on here that long, but have noticed a trend with a few individuals on here!

Exactly buddy, if my old as hell Xeon doesn't bottleneck a 1080ti then there's no way the OP's will either. New shiny hardware is always nice though. I don't need to upgrade and likely wont for some time, but I'm really keen to see what the new Ryzen's are like, which is also what I'd be doing if I was the OP, I'd also wait for the Nvidia announcement, if there's no new cards, then spank 900ish on a 1080ti and wait it out for the CPU/mobo/RAM.

Permabanned
Poor guy... comes on asking for advice then gets 3 pages of arguments :(

The title of the thread clearly states - critique request ;) What do you expect in such a case - standing ovations how great the system is?!

As stated above:

Drawbacks:
- no upgrade path possible with future processors on this platform;
- the chip is hot and needs delidding;
- the chip is expensive;
- not the best time for this purchase - rather wait three days and get an idea what the Ryzen 2000 series have to offer.
- and more.

Soldato
The title of the thread clearly states - critique request ;) What do you expect in such a case - standing ovations how great the system is?!

As stated above:

Drawbacks:
- the chip is expensive;
- not the best time for this purchase - rather wait three days and get an idea what the Ryzen 2000 series have to offer.
- and more.

Why would he need an upgrade path ? The 8700K will be good for at least 5 years maybe more. He would still be able to buy a new cpu/board down the line for less than it would cost to buy a 1950X and X399 board.

The 1950X has a TDP of 180W. You think that cpu runs nice and cool under load ? :rolleyes:

The 8700K is expensive, yet you are suggesting he buys a £929 1950X cpu ? The mind boggles.

The Ryzen 2000 series is just mainly a refresh. What are you expecting ?

The only drawback is you continually posting in this thread, or any other build thread.

Associate
OP
You're a passionate lot I must say :), but that's great, and the advice here has helped. I'm pretty much on the right path for now. So to put a halt to the heated debate, my current thinking is heading towards the following:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,938.14 (includes shipping: £15.30)

1) CPU Remains unchanged, the 8700k is the one for me! Heat should not be an issue with the AIO cooler in mind. Delidding may not even be needed.
2) Mobo has changed to allow for a better options for positioning the NvMe drive above OR below the GFX card depending on heat dissipation to the NvMe drive.
3) RAM has changed but only a little, nothing much to worry about here.
4) GFX card I've moved on to the MSI 1080ti Trio as it has much better cooling and is damn near silent.
5) PSU changed from an 850w down to a 750w.
6) NvMe drive remains as a boot drive for Windows and apps.
7) I already have 2 x 500Gb Samsung SSDs in my current PC which are getting transferred over. These will be my game drives and should do the job nicely.
8) HD for data storage will remain, and I prefer the WD RED Pros for the speed and the additional 2 years on warranty. I'm not set in stone with these, but I think they'll do.
9) AIO CPU cooler has also changed to the bequiet 360mm. I'm liking the look of the superior cooling and the quieter fans on this over the Corsair AIO.
10) I'm still looking at 1 32" 2560x1440 monitor for now, and I have found other adequate models not on this site, Mebbe 4k in the future If I deem in necessary but for now I'm sticking to 1 £300-£400 budget for monitor. 4k seems to double that!

Overall I'm liking the look of the build so far, and the advice here has definitely tweaked my original thinking a bit for the better. You have been most helpful. Keep up the good work!

Associate

As stated above:

Drawbacks:
- the chip is expensive;
- and more.

You're a bit of a pellet but you do make a couple of reasonable points. If buying now and the money has to be spent, 8700k, but as you point out, It's a dead end platform.

The delid comment is delving into the realm of fantasy.

It is expensive, but then it's Intel and it's the fastest consumer gaming chip... So no real surprise there. It's not outrageously priced though. I'd take up more issue with the motherboard needed to run it, as you said, dead end path.

Finally, 100% agree, I'd wait for ryzen to see what's what... Actually ignore that, I'd stick with what he has and get a gpu.

OP, I'd go with a Seasonic PSU, 10 year warranty and platinum PSU for a modest power requirement isn't needed imo.

Soldato
Pump is silent on the silent loop, must run at 100% - Alphacool recommends it specially for coffeelake chips.
Can't remember but if that case takes 3*140mm rad set up then Alphacool do an Eisbaer 420 version ( OEM for silent loop)
Get the focus 750w PSU!!!

Although I am intreged to hear were comments of current LGA being a dead platform ... In theory LGA 1151 first version socket for z170/270 can take coffeelake with some serious bios tweaks but it was all done to amount of power draw the draw blank pins were used in V2 . Z370 was a bit of a joke that H370 and z390 corrects . Normally it's two chips to a socket. They vendors will be pleased if it's scrapped for a new one , more money is made from new boards then recycling :/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
@diblob the hx750i is an unnecessary spend. just get an antec earthwatts gold pro or seasonic focus plus gold (the antec is a seasonic rebrand - so get whichever is cheaper). 550w is sufficient, but 650w if you want to be safe.
also the PM961 sits below the 690evo in nvme ssd performance. get the SM961 instead
and last (and potentially more controversial) are the heatsink design for the vrms on gigabyte boards - it's gonna get toasty, esp a gaming k3 with a 8700k, i know gigabyte have a good rma service, and can't bash them for it, but might possibly suggest the asrock z370 extreme4 instead

Associate
OP
Unfortunately whatever I choose, I know there will always be something on the horizon that may be better in some way. That's the nature of PC components isn't it? :) Good thing is, I don't intend on changing the spec for many years to come, so i don't need it to have any kind of future proofing. Once it's bought, it will sit in my PC case for a good 4-5 years before I consider doing this again.
Orbitalwalsh, speaking of the Seasonic focus 750w, whilst it is decent I have read it does has an aggressive fan profile and is a bit noisier than the Corsair I was considering. The seasonic has a 120mm fan that has to spin a bit faster than the corsair's 135/140mm fan. I do like things nice and peaceful, so I'm still leaning towards the Corsair which has served me well in my current PC.
The Case would accept that Alphacool 420mm radiator at the front, but my plans are to put it up top which restricts me to a 360mm radiator. I'm sure it will suffice :) Thanks dude.

Back
Top Bottom