New £3k build - Critique request

Soldato
Yep, not the bet contact and VRM count t on all z370 boards are I .the low count. ultra getting another version in a few weeks.
If you have a look at leaked H370 ASRock and Gigabyte/Aorus board, you'll see top end boards have the same VRM count at z370 flagships !
VRM mount is bit of a shame on Gigabyte, vrm design on vendors down to Intel - guessing not enough time testing boards and being told it's pretty much the same as KabyLake = a lot fewer .
I stuck 17kwm thermal pads on a K3 and my itx . Dropped from 116c stress test with no direct airflow to 85c , during gaming their 60-70c even before new pads .
Prob explanation with X470 Aorus 7 actually has proper heatsinks like the old days

Soldato
Unfortunately whatever I choose, I know there will always be something on the horizon that may be better in some way. That's the nature of PC components isn't it? :) Good thing is, I don't intend on changing the spec for many years to come, so i don't need it to have any kind of future proofing. Once it's bought, it will sit in my PC case for a good 4-5 years before I consider doing this again.
Orbitalwalsh, speaking of the Seasonic focus 750w, whilst it is decent I have read it does has an aggressive fan profile and is a bit noisier than the Corsair I was considering. The seasonic has a 120mm fan that has to spin a bit faster than the corsair's 135/140mm fan. I do like things nice and peaceful, so I'm still leaning towards the Corsair which has served me well in my current PC.
The Case would accept that Alphacool 420mm radiator at the front, but my plans are to put it up top which restricts me to a 360mm radiator. I'm sure it will suffice :) Thanks dude.

The RMi is £22 cheaper. Uses the same fan as the HXi.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £148.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
OP
RM model is a bit bigger than the HX, but I'm not at all short on space in this case! Gonna spend that saved tenner on some beer :) Cheers lee32uk.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Nice to see some discounts appearing on the GFX cards. Not quite down to what they should be, but that's £120 less than the card I was looking at only a few days ago.

Soldato
If you want to last 4 years+ then hang fire to see what the 8 core Intel cpu will be like. 6 cores is fine now but 4 years from now you could see 8 cores being the norm for PC users. Just now 6 cores is a minimum we'd recommend. 6 cores in 4 years could be like 4 cores are now...minimal

Caporegime
If you want to last 4 years+ then hang fire to see what the 8 core Intel cpu will be like. 6 cores is fine now but 4 years from now you could see 8 cores being the norm for PC users. Just now 6 cores is a minimum we'd recommend. 6 cores in 4 years could be like 4 cores are now...minimal

Have to agree, not like your current system is a bag of nails. New cards and new cpu's around the corner. Just revisit this thread in a few months imo :)

Soldato

Not really, look at stream hardware and lots of people still rocking older i5s and that's not going to change any time soon . Most users don't change their systems till it breaks and games companies will always do minimum spec settings to allow the most amount of users to play. There after money at the end of the day .
8 core will be next year , z390 is meant for current coffeelake but sure it'll support 7mn . Chances are of Intel pulling off 8 core on current node is slim. Would have to solder the heat spreader for a start .
Rather see decent IPC increase then more cores. Jumped from i7 860 to i5 7600k and got better formable due to the changes from first gen to 3rd, after that not so much :/
If you get the 8700k, you won't be changing it for 5/6 years easily . Your GPU though..

Associate
Not really, look at stream hardware and lots of people still rocking older i5s and that's not going to change any time soon . Most users don't change their systems till it breaks and games companies will always do minimum spec settings to allow the most amount of users to play. There after money at the end of the day .
8 core will be next year , z390 is meant for current coffeelake but sure it'll support 7mn . Chances are of Intel pulling off 8 core on current node is slim. Would have to solder the heat spreader for a start .
Rather see decent IPC increase then more cores. Jumped from i7 860 to i5 7600k and got better formable due to the changes from first gen to 3rd, after that not so much :/
If you get the 8700k, you won't be changing it for 5/6 years easily . Your GPU though..

Back in the old days, we used to get large jumps in CPU performance. Intel has given us 5% the past few years as they had no competition, they still made a bucketful from us.

Soldato
Lots of people dont' spend 3k on a PC. This request for a 3k PC critique means he's in the top 1% of gamers in terms of component spend on a PC. As such the "normal people" slant doesn't fit here.

but as you say, wait a little and then '8 core intel comes out' wait a little more then 10 core comes out- spiral - either you get it now , or you get something which has a 100% set launch date.
or if wanting 8 core, might as well quote X299 systems, as 8 core is already here - just not Z platform :)

Soldato
True, but when the latest gen of CPU's is about to release an 8 core, he should hang fire and see how they pan out against price and availability.

I'd get the ball rolling with a new monitor, GPU and ssd for your old system and hang fire and see what pans out. That way you get some new shiny toys to tinker with (albeit a little bottlenecked until you get your new CPU) at least you'll have something to satisfy that upgrade itch. SSD should help with general "nippiness" of your older machine in the mean time too. The new GPU and new screen can be tinkered with so that you're ready to go with settings etc when you get your newer stuff in the future.

Soldato
true, ryzen 2700x is just next month, but for intel, wasnt listed on vendor roap maps for this year, z390 just states current coffeelake , but things change through the year and guessing AMD could put a lot of pressure on Intel to speed things up :D

Associate
OP
If I was going to buy tomorrow, I would stick to the spec I laid out earlier (ish), but I am indeed gonna wait a little while and see what Nvidia/AMD/Intel announces soon, and also at least until the new Coffee lake motherboards come out. A couple of months or so maybe until my patience will run out and I will just HAVE to buy something :) This poor X71 case is sat on my desk empty and sad :(

Caporegime
@diblob if you're going to do that then do *not* get the Gigabyte Gaming card, it's doesn't handle the Ti's heat very well. It's awesome on the 1080, but the Ti kicks out a load more heat due to the big amount of extra shaders.

edit - Just saw that you changed to the Gaming X, much much better.

Associate
OP
Well it took a few weeks to build up my funds, but I eventually bought the lot! A few changes since my original plan, but overall pretty similar. I also picked up a 35" 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor from elsewhere, as OC just didn't have the right monitor in stock for me. Will be building it up starting Monday and can't wait to get started on it!
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,831.84 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Back
Top Bottom