• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New 5870 - suspect may have been used/opened

Soldato
Why dont you give the cards a test drive ? If its a good clocker like the ones ViRuS2k has then it may be worth keeping.

Soldato
Why dont you give the cards a test drive ? If its a good clocker like the ones ViRuS2k has then it may be worth keeping.

Its not a new once the box beem tempered with,, its second hand like I said in my prev post,so you at least want some kind of a refund:mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes thats fair enough I suppose. If I walked into a shop to be faced with a sealed and open card I would want the sealed one.

Last edited:
Associate
Well add me to that list my end seal on the box was broken and no products inside the box were factory sticker sealed i just assumed that it was ocuk checking all products were in the box.
Either that or some naughty person has been checking for the best card speeds ?? TBH as long as it works and the warrantys honured coudnt give a monkeys.

Caporegime
Its often more likely, especially with short time to release that things like Dirt 2 vouchers, which might not be for all regions, or codes for different versions for different regions, get shipped separately and distributors slip them into the box as and when they get them in.

OCUk were offering, whatever game it was, with half the cards they sold, not sure if they were putting them in the boxes or not, but its a similar deal, they get a tonne of the vouchers and depending on which region they are in which version they are supposed to be selling distro's stick them in boxes.

THe only "used" card we've seen here is the guy whose had missing items and smelt of cig smoke, which was a 4890, not a 5870.

The simple fact is you RMA stuff, then send stuff back and the odd card slips through as 99.9% of the time companies will just ship you replacements rather than repairs, when they ship new ones, they ship a whole new box and bin the rest, thats how its done. Occasionally you'll end up with a repaired item in a new box that gets through the net, they should have ordered a crosshipped replacement for that, which does suck, but the fact a used item slips through the net is completely normal, for every company.

Considering I'm normally the one to have a go at OCUK, that should tell you something.

Stickers not being right, on obviously new items, is just not a big deal.

Associate
Well, im not having a dig at OcUK as i love buying my hardware from them but I think there could be some not very trustworthy people working for them.

When i bought my Retail E7500 cpu from them and opened the box i noticed that on the cpu heat spreader there where markes around the the top of the heat spreader, same markes a heatsink would leave after some time, so it's possible i got one that was used, or other.

And it's funny that my E7500 cpu doesn`t overclock very well, when other people here seem to be able to get 4GHz+ easy from this chip without using lots of vcore.

Last edited:

D13

D13

Associate
Well, im not having a dig at OcUK as i love buying my hardware from them but I think there could be some not very trustworthy people working for them.

When i bought my Retail E7500 cpu from them and opened the box i noticed that on the cpu heat spreader there where marks around the the top of the heat spreader, same markes a heatsink would leave after some time, so it's possible i got one that was used, or other.

And it's funny that my E7500 cpu doesn`t overclock very well, when other people here seem to be able to get 4GHz+ easy from this chip without using lots of vcore.

WOW I would have gone absolutely ****ing ape****, why didnt you return it.

As far as I am concerned, if you buy something 'new' then it should turn up 100% sealed in absolute mint condition, no exceuses, no exceptions whatsoever

Soldato

When i bought my Retail E7500 cpu from them and opened the box i noticed that on the cpu heat spreader there where marks around the the top of the heat spreader, same markes a heatsink would leave after some time, so it's possible i got one that was used, or other.

Im not suggesting this happens at ocuk but its happened at all 5 resellers i have worked for. When a member of the "in crowd" staff wanted a new chip or some memory or a gfx card they would usually throw a few quid at the lads in returns to book some stuff out for testing and find them the best one. Rest go back into stock.

I wont name the places for obvious reasons ( all in manchester area ) and tbh it makes no difference who they are, as im sure it goes on in most places that handle their own returns and have a tech dept where things are tested. Maybe some places have strict rules and managers who stop this kind of thing, but i would think most places dont care as long as the BIG boss doesnt find out. Hell i bet half the managers do it for themselves anyway :rolleyes: I still keep in touch with friends from all the places and i know for a fact they all still do it, if i wanted a good chip i could pull a favor or two and get one in exactly the same way i suspect.

As regards cpus, there is NO reason what so ever for the retailer opening the packaging on intel or AMD cpus... the markings and ID can be read from the outside and serial numbers recorded. Any cpu that comes as retail and is opened would be refused on the spot my me. OEM of course are different and will come in a small plastic cpu holder.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Those bubblewraps are normal, ive had stacks of cards in those so i wouldn't worry, and its probably just been opened to give the cards a check before they shipped out, quality control.

Last edited:
Soldato
Retail Intel CPUs have VERY obvious seals that you would have to break to open.

also they are not possible to be re-attached.

if those seals were there and intact - any marks can only have come from Intel testing I would imagine

Im not suggesting this happens at ocuk but its happened at all 5 resellers i have worked for. When a member of the "in crowd" staff wanted a new chip or some memory or a gfx card they would usually throw a few quid at the lads in returns to books some stuff out for testing and find them the best one. Rest go back into stock.

I wont name the places for obvious reasons, and tbh it makes no differance who they are, as im sure it goes on in most places that handle their own returns and have a tech dept where things are tested. Maybe some places have strict rules and managers who stop this kind of thing, but i would think most places dont care as long as the BIG boss doesnt find out. Hell i bet half the managers do it for themselves anyway :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Still, I'd like to know why someone felt the need to break the seal on the driver cd and actually use it. I sent a webnote. I suppose I will have to wait until Monday for a reply.

Associate
Im not suggesting this happens at ocuk but its happened at all 5 resellers i have worked for. When a member of the "in crowd" staff wanted a new chip or some memory or a gfx card they would usually throw a few quid at the lads in returns to book some stuff out for testing and find them the best one. Rest go back into stock.

I wont name the places for obvious reasons ( all in manchester area ) and tbh it makes no differance who they are, as im sure it goes on in most places that handle their own returns and have a tech dept where things are tested. Maybe some places have strict rules and managers who stop this kind of thing, but i would think most places dont care as long as the BIG boss doesnt find out. Hell i bet half the managers do it for themselves anyway :rolleyes: I still keep in touch with friends from all the places and i know for a fact they all still do it, if i wanted a good chip i could pull a favor or two and get one in exactly the same way i suspect.

As regards cpus, there is NO reason what so ever for the retailer opening the packaging on intel or AMD cpus... the markings and ID can be read from the outside and serial numbers recorded. Any cpu that comes as retail and is opened would be refused on the spot my me. OEM of course are different and will come in a small plastic cpu holder.

Eh why not name them, im sure OCUK would not mind you naming these crooks. More buisness for them.

That frankly is a disgrace, though im not suprised. Im sure in a lot of custom made rigs, returned items, are stuck in the machines, cause frankly 90% of people will never check, the 10% who do get a apology and a free gift.

Seriously puts me off spending so much.:(

D13

D13

Associate

I wont name the places for obvious reasons ( all in manchester area ) and tbh it makes no difference who they are, as im sure it goes on in most places that handle their own returns and have a tech dept where things are tested. Maybe some places have strict rules and managers who stop this kind of thing, but i would think most places dont care as long as the BIG boss doesnt find out. Hell i bet half the managers do it for themselves anyway :rolleyes: I still keep in touch with friends from all the places and i know for a fact they all still do it, if i wanted a good chip i could pull a favor or two and get one in exactly the same way i suspect.

this is very very sad if true (it seems highly plauisble and likely).
In this instance though it seems very possible that the absent seal could be due to the need to add the dirt 2 voucher codes.

Did anyone get a 5870 with both seals on?

Soldato
Eh why not name them, im sure OCUK would not mind you naming these crooks. More buisness for them.

That frankly is a disgrace, though im not suprised. Im sure in a lot of custom made rigs, returned items, are stuck in the machines, cause frankly 90% of people will never check, the 10% who do get a apology and a free gift.

Seriously puts me off spending so much.:(

They are all competitors of course so i cant name them.

In any case without proof i could be taken to court for libel/slander whatever knowing how things are these days :p

My point is that things like this DO go on. Now ocuk assure us that they dont, and i have no reason personally to doubt that.

Ive had only good things to say about the service and products from ocuk over the years, but to hear reports that people are getting obviously tampered with retail products does make me think twice.

As for the defense of quality control being a reason to open up retail boxed stuff. Sorry but thats not a fair excuse to open things at will. And in any case if that was being done then the retailer should put their own sealing sticker on stating "checked by quality control" or some such thing. There are 2 other online retailers i can think of who do this, as they stick warranty labels on all items.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom