• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New 5870 - suspect may have been used/opened

Soldato
I had a PS3 with one broken seal - then another one (looked like normal tape) on the top

I initially refused it and asked for another one - but they were all like it

when I opened the box up - I sussedd it - Sony had re-opened them to put in a firmware update CD

Soldato
does anyone wonder what happens to products returned, but opened (perfectly legally), under DSR regs ?

What do you think :p

Do you see huge numbers of "returned and discounted" items on retailers web pages? no?.......... hmmm i wonder why :)

In any case i expect this thread will vanish soon enough, if not then good on ocuk. If it does then you have to ask why? too close to the mark for comfort maybe?

/dons tinfoil hat

Associate
WOW I would have gone absolutely ****ing ape****, why didnt you return it.

As far as I am concerned, if you buy something 'new' then it should turn up 100% sealed in absolute mint condition, no exceuses, no exceptions whatsoever

I didn't return it because the cpu is working and to be honest I couldn`t be bothered.

Soldato
I didn't know anybody used the driver CD's, i just get the drivers off the net. :p

perhaps the online retailers can send cards that have been returned under DSR back to the manufaturer for re-test and re-furbishment ?

be interesting to hear what really happens - may not be anywhere near as some people think ...

FYI I bought my 4890 from elsewhere - an Asus one (was not in stock at ocuk at the time) - and that wasn't sealed, nor was the internal anti-static bag - but I;m sure they just come from Asus like that - certainly the card looked new

graphics cards are quite easy as its difficult not to make a mark on the PCI-E connector if its genuinely been used ...

Soldato
Seems like most people here who got it have opened box so how can they all be used products considering the card has only been available for a few days!? As said it's most probably sapphire testing the cards / cd/game being rushed in at the last minute...etc that affected some cards and not others. Although that tattered 4890 vapour with cigarette smell is just ridiculous.

As for the cpu if you think about it, if the box seal was intact when you received it then no one other than intel could've touched the chip could they?

Soldato
perhaps the online retailers can send cards that have been returned under DSR back to the manufaturer for re-test and re-furbishment ?

be interesting to hear what really happens - may not be anywhere near as some people think ...

FYI I bought my 4890 from elsewhere - an Asus one (was not in stock at ocuk at the time) - and that wasn't sealed, nor was the internal anti-static bag - but I;m sure they just come from Asus like that - certainly the card looked new

graphics cards are quite easy as its difficult not to make a mark on the PCI-E connector if its genuinely been used ...

Yup on close inspection there should be some faint tell tale vertical scratches as its a tight fit on to the copper contacts.

I think items under the DSR are just checked and restocked. Under DSR it has to go back as you received it.

D13

D13

Associate
Is anyoen out there that bought a powercolor? what were your experiences.

On release I bought a sapphire 4870x2 and noticed that the seal (had clearly been peeled away and then replaced), everything inside was fine except the cd cases were badly creased, I didnt really think anything of it as it literally just came out so I thought it couldnt be used.

I ended up sending the first one back as the release drivers were so bad I thought the card was damaged, the internals though were (again fine) but (again) one of the seals had been pealed away.

I ended up sending it back as the poor drivers and noise of the card was just too much, I wanted the power but now I knew I would have to watercool. I ended up buying 'another' one this time gainward.

This was even worse as the actual backplate was physically bent at 90 degrees and I had to bend it back but it worked ok.....

Damn

Soldato
You really think people who work for ocuk [the tech team] have the time to check through cards to find the best one,
what with vast builds to get through a week, not to mention that I dont think anyone that works ocuk owns a 5870.
I think you are reading into it to much IMO.

Soldato
It's a worry when you buy things like video cards that you may get an under performer, I wish components like these came shrink wrapped so we could all get a fair chance of a good'un!

D13

D13

Associate
It's a worry when you buy things like video cards that you may get an under performer, I wish components like these came shrink wrapped so we could all get a fair chance of a good'un!

I agree, whenever I buy something and it gets delivered literally sealed in shrink wrap it makes me very happy :)

Associate
Aren't they all intial reference cards coming from the same manufacturing place, ferried out to HIS, Saphire, XFX, etc for them to slap on their own sticker and bung into their retail packaging with last minute bundles?

Soldato
Aren't they all intial reference cards coming from the same manufacturing place, ferried out to HIS, Saphire, XFX, etc for them to slap on their own sticker and bung into their retail packaging with last minute bundles?

As I understand it, Nvidia and ATI provide the schamtics to the likes of XFX, Shappire etc.. to manufacture the cards, NV / ATI don't manufacture them at all.

Back
Top Bottom