New Alienware Q3 2020

Associate
Yeah, I started the return process earlier today. Haven't heard back yet though.
I've had fun and games with Dell this morning: Made the slight mistake of clicking Return on the order page and although I put in the comments that I would like a replacement, I got an email this morning confirming collection and refund

So then had to call Dell and get bounced around the departments. First department could only cancel the collection/refund > transferred to tech support, as they need to authorise a replacement > wrong tech support > transferred to a different tech support. Eventually managed to convey the issue to the support agent and email the pictures over. They agreed to replace the monitor, so I'm just waiting on the email to confirm the next steps.

Advice for anyone in a similar situation would be to call or What's App them directly

Associate
I got the Aw2721d just before the weekend. I have backlit bleed in the exact same bottom left spot as reported here. Also have bleed coming through the bottom right, can see this agaisnt light colors and on desktop in normal use which is way to distracting. Will give it another chance with a replacement If i can.

Permabanned
One thing I have discovered with the new G-Sync module, plugging in a normal secondary monitor everything works fine, but plugging in a Freesync, even with Freesync disabled, and it stops the primary 38" from running at any refresh rate other than 60Hz. I am fine with this I have several secondary monitors I can use, but be aware this may be an issue if you plan on using a secondary monitor and it happens to be Freesync. Well, it could be the specific secondary monitor - the one I have is an LG, but I don't have any other Freesync monitors to try. I'm just going to buy a new secondary, but I will be making sure it's not Freesync!! Actually I just realised I do have another Freesync monitor but that's an LG too.

Last edited:
Associate
For anyone wondering about return process, there doesn't seem to be any cost. I've initiated return process through the same site you track your order status, got auto confirmation and then one day later Dell customer support contacted me through e-mail. They will send DHL to pick it up. I'd rather send it on my own by nevermind. They also wanted any document related to my payment where they can see account number for a refund, so I sent them transaction confirmation from my bank. There was no mention of any cost. Will see how long it takes them to make a refund, this is something that was improving greatly at different retailers and some give you 3 day guarantee from the day the item arrives at the their facility. EU law says 14 days I think.

So all in all it works the same as everywhere else but it is not fully automated and requires actual contact with customer support through e-mail.

Soldato
So I've spent a bit more time with the 27 now and specifically looked to see the difference between HDR on and off in games.

I think Call of Duty Cold War acts as a fantastic example of the difference, it really does show it off when enabled vs disabled through the in game options. I certainly have no issues with the monitor in gameplay etc at this point, it's performing terrifically well, looks great and if there's supposed to be any fan noise from the G Sync chip I'm certainly not hearing it. :)

It's a shame people are experiencing so many panel problems however.

Associate
Just finished testing my AW2721D that I received today. I am coming from BenQ XL2720Z TN panel so the first difference I saw was how good colours look compared to BenQ. 144hz to 240hz is not that much of a difference than when I was coming from 60hz to 144hz but when I switched to 144hz for a sec I quickly noticed a difference. I guess I am lucky with a panel because there is zero backlight bleeding and IPS glow is only visible when room is completely dark and Ive put full black screen on Eizo monitor test site. When I turn lights on its not visible at all and I play 95% of a time with light on so it not a problem for me, my eyes hurts too much when I play in a dark room. 1440p looks way sharper than 1080p, the only downsides I have with this monitor is that I cant lower it that much as I would like to, I think there is still some space left to lower it but it just not letting me do that, like I am stuck on level 8 but there is still some space to lower it, hope someone will understand me and help me if thats the only issue in my case.
Apart from that I only wanted to ask you guys what are your colour settings? I am currently on Standard with lowered brightness & gamma abit, I also like the RPG one all colours look better than on Standard but red is too red for me.

Soldato
I can grab the AW3821DW for a little over £1k with the wife's dell advantage for NHS staff. I'm coming from an old Dell 3008 panel and have been trying to buy a new monitor for months but the LGs are like hens teeth and the G9's are a lottery. Is there any reason not to buy this? I'm gaming and using Revit professionally on it (WFH)?

I only have a 980TI at present so I know I'm not going to hit 144hz but I'm stuck at 60hz now anyway, that can wait. I am trying to build a new PC but it's just about impossible atm, I've only managed to buy the case so far.

Last edited:
Soldato
its the best of the UW screens imo until we get mini led screens. And at £1040 (which is what I paid as well) its fairly priced.

Just hit the buy button with an extra year on the warranty for £1088, its coming tomorrow apparently lol. My budget for a panel was £1500 on my upgrade so i feel like I've saved £400. I've had a Dell 3008 since release and its been fantastic so I'm quite pleased to be buying another Dell

Associate
AW3821 arrived yesterday, not had a chance to tinker with it properly but first impressions are really good. Very little IPS glow and no bleed.

Paid £1271 with a 5 year warranty .. if you phone them up they will haggle a little bit. If you can get it for £1040 with an NHS discount then i would absolutely go for it.

Permabanned
How do you guys find the contrast those of you that have had 30" Dells prior to this?

I think the current batch of fast panels are a bit less contrasty then the previous models, but I didn't own a 30" Dell so I can't really say. Contrast is not really something that bothers me. Speed is far more important to me, and these new panels are really fast.

Associate
aw2721d just arrived ( a day late) but no BLB or stuck pixels. set it on 144mhz and you can click 10bit colour (without FRC)

really impressed so far and its sat next to my Eizo 27inch pro display (nearly £2k). calibrated them both with hardware calibrator and they are very similar

Associate

I apologise about my above posts, I can't figure out how to include a quote in my post (edit: Only just noticed there is a place to write text after you scroll down past the images). I know, I feel like an idiot. Anyway, in response to LackyT, my monitor is exactly the same as yours with BLB in the same spots. I'm returning mine. I don't know whether or not to get another one as I have a feeling the whole batch might have this issue. Every image I have seen of the AW2721D has BLB in the lower left of the screen.

To be completely honest, I can't work out if i've got bad BLB or actually its just fine. If I take a picture of the AW3821DW in complete darkness, the camera will pick up a similar image to the one posted by LackyT..

A little bleed in the corners is pretty standard for these panels, and my older AW3418DW had the same. @Greebo - have you had a chance to inspect your panel yet?

Caporegime
To be completely honest, I can't work out if i've got bad BLB or actually its just fine. If I take a picture of the AW3821DW in complete darkness, the camera will pick up a similar image to the one posted by LackyT..

A little bleed in the corners is pretty standard for these panels, and my older AW3418DW had the same. @Greebo - have you had a chance to inspect your panel yet?

Not yet, too busy working. Will have by the weekend

Associate
@Greebo

Thanks I have seen this before as I have been trying to compare, but every time I look at one of these or LG etc they look washed out. Without seeing one myself I can't determine. So going to go 48cx instead although did get a good code for extra £100 off which was swaying me a little, and with Dells no fault return was willing to try.

Associate
Well I am still at the 'awaiting approval' stage for my replacement for the bright pixel. The replacement request was raised by a rep last Thursday evening after I sent pictures. It hasn't processed at all since then.

Previously with dell I have been sent refurbished monitors for warranty replacements. However as this was reported within 24 hours of receipt anything short of a brand new display will be returned for a refund instantly.

I appreciate it's December and covid is still having an effect but 5 working days of 'awaiting approval seems a little long to me given they claim next day shipment for replacements.

Soldato
I have a 14:59 - 15:59 delivery time confirmation today. I'm both excited and anxious as historically I am incredibly unlucky when buying anything that either has moving parts or is electrical.

Back
Top Bottom