• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** NEW AMD R7 & R9 SERIES NOW IN STOCK & AVAILABLE!! **

Soldato
I have to agree. Looks a lovely piece of kit.

I'm actually going to break my golden rule if this card reviews well, and is cool and quiet, it's obviously not the best bang for buck right now, as you still cannot beat the 7950's especially the HIS. But instead of going b for b i'm going to buy the card I really want.

Although the new cards are re-badges, I don't feel like spending close to £200 (HIS now £199) on an EOL card, as good as that card is.

Also this R9 280x should beat a 7950 when clocked.

Soldato
Guys

AMD say no to the games with new cards, so first thing I have to remove the games otherwise they will have me shot. :(

I'm genuinely confused, deciding between a 280x or 290 atm - ref your post above - the listings still state Golden game voucher for the 280x's - is that correct ? or just not updated yet ?

OcUK Staff
OP
I'm genuinely confused, deciding between a 280x or 290 atm - ref your post above - the listings still state Golden game voucher for the 280x's - is that correct ? or just not updated yet ?

Refresh your cache, as they no longer do. The 290x BFs we've taken pre-orders for will get gold as I promised on those, but new orders will not.

Associate
I guess i would'nt see not much performance gain going to a R9 280 from a 7970??

Any ideas is any of the R7 260 or R9 270 cards are under 10" in length, thinking of replacing the 560Ti in my Silverstone Sugo G05 HTPC system but doesnt house cards over 10" :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Any ideas is any of the R7 260 or R9 270 cards are under 10" in length, thinking of replacing the 560Ti in my Silverstone Sugo G05 HTPC system but doesnt house cards over 10" :(
I wouldn't bother with the R7 260...it would only be on par with your GTX560Ti at best (might not even be that), and slower if you use AA or high res texture etc. (due to its weak 128-bit memory bus).

Soldato
Refresh your cache, as they no longer do. The 290x BFs we've taken pre-orders for will get gold as I promised on those, but new orders will not.

Wow, that has just totally put me off preordering. I'm fully aware this is not ocuks fault, but I'm very annoyed with amd atm. I'm just going to wait it out now as all enthusiasm has been curbed.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Basically the 280X is replacing the 7950, hence the low price of £230. Reference 280X is 50mhz slower on the core than the 7970ghz edition.

If you want a 280X at 7970ghz speeds (1050 core) you need to pay £250+. Going off ocuk's pricing.

Confirmation below.

Mt3oMTj.jpg

Associate
Anyone have any views about TrueAudio? I like the idea of bringing back Hardware 3d audio acceleration (still mourn my old Aureal Vortex 2)... however, AMD's implementation throughout the new range is kinda patchy (280 hasn't got it, 290 has IIRC etc)... :confused:

Really hope the 290X is awesome cos the rest of the 'new' range is fairly underwhelming IMHO... :(

Soldato
i have 2 his 7950s and i dont see me upgrading or actually paying more for the same performance. though i might be pushed if you would stock REFERENCE R9 cards with STOCK ati cooler as those coolers ROCK, you just cant beat coolers that push air from within pc out the back of your pc.....

the TOXIC card might look the part but its just circulating all that hot air around your pc lol

Caporegime
Sapphire Toxic review:-
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-r9-280x-toxic-edition-oc-3gb-review/

What an animal, beats the R280X Matrix Platinum with ease and when overclocked is very very close to reference GTX 780 in games and benchmarks.

Very very impressive!!!

With a bit of luck this will force others to design a better PCB to unlock more of this Tahiti Chips performance.

At this time if i was in the market for an R9 280X this is the only one i would conceder.

Associate
Don't you find it odd that the 280x sapphire review above only compares to nvidia products wouldn't it have been more logical to compare to a 7950/7970? What an odd collection of games to bench also.

Back
Top Bottom