• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** NEW AMD R7 & R9 SERIES NOW IN STOCK & AVAILABLE!! **

Associate
7950 xfire will be faster and give more beef for your monitor, but 290X is a single card. It'll probably cost more though...

Your call.

Thanks, tough one! Would a Corsair TX 750 psu be okay for the job? Also, I'm unsure of whether 2 x 7950 IceQ Boost would fit? I have a Z77 Asrock Extreme 4 motherboard.

Soldato
They will hover around R280X prices, afterall same card, but of course for Crossfire upgrade its better to stick with HD 7970 for ease.

I was just going to ask whether 7970 and 280X can be crossfired, so thank you for that :)

thats a very good question, don't bank on it. we may get more info on that soon.

I wouldnt be surprised if somehow they are locked as different series of cards (so even though you are crossfiring the same chip, the balancing may not be equal).

As a general point, Im not convinced re-branding the old chip in the new series is the right thing to do - just seems a little underhanded to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, you're going to bottleneck those cards somewhat.
You really need an i7 to get the most out of them.

If not, you're better off with a powerful single GPU with the i5.

Soldato
As a general point, Im not convinced re-branding the old chip in the new series is the right thing to do - just seems a little underhanded to me.

I agree, and was hoping for architecture improvements (GCN2.0 or whatever) across the board but it's mostly just the same.

It's not that interesting, but atleast we're getting better price/performance.

Soldato
I agree, and was hoping for architecture improvements (GCN2.0 or whatever) across the board but it's mostly just the same.

It's not that interesting, but atleast we're getting better price/performance.

Are we ?? I don't see any improvements in price/performance, I see low to midrange prices have actually increased. I thought 270 would be a 1536 jobby. So we've lost our beloved 7850 and 7950, I can see why they did it too the buggers!! Also we should be bloody on 20nm bynow !!!

Soldato
Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Toxic OC 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Card @ £269.99 inc VAT

GX-324-SP_400.jpg

Only £269.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

before i buy one will this fit in a prodigy with side window?

Associate
lol no its red one but iv heard before that a 7970/50 vapour x wouldnt fit

The card needs to be a dual slot to fit in the prodigy. Length doesn't matter but you'll need to remove the 5.25" bay or its very difficult to install the power connectors.

A small amount of cards have cooler shrouds which make them take up a bit more than 2 slots, these ones will have some trouble in the prodigy. Looks like the 280x toxic will fit fine but probably best to wait for some pics from other angles to make sure its a true dual slot cooler.

Back
Top Bottom