New Build - En-suite error - Shower facing door

Soldato
OP
Well they got a point. With your left hand point the shower into the corner while with your right turns on the water. When up to temperature straighten it up.

If your door opened outwards, would it not crack onto the sink? Ignore. Just saw the door is hinged the other side.

They have changed the door to a folding door.

Get as much of the issues / faults spotted BEFORE you take ownership and insist on having them dealt with. Once you take ownership, and the builders move on, you're in the hands of the customer care and "clean up" teams. Some of whom are top notch, others are bloody awful. There is a whole industry based on "post new-build fixing".

Can I insist in haveing this dealt with or do I just have to accept it? I know i can move the head around but I dont feel i should have to on a brand new "luxury" home. I dont have to on my current 130 year old terrace.

Soldato
Whilst we have a folding door our shower does not spray directly on to it but parallel.

This would bug me forever, I don't think you should accept it or at least get some further compensation chucked your way...flooring/lighting/turf etc.

As you say it is a new 'luxury' home, and as such should at least be to the spec you were expecting.

Associate
Can I insist in haveing this dealt with or do I just have to accept it? I know i can move the head around but I dont feel i should have to on a brand new "luxury" home. I dont have to on my current 130 year old terrace.

You can insist on what you like. Whether they choose to do anything is between you and your builder :)

Most I can see they would offer is to place the shower rail (not the shower unit) on the wall you want it and replace the two tiles they presumably had to drill originally.
To move the shower unit too, they'll have to redo the pipework, the wall and the shower and the tiling. Which is a bigger job entirely.

Salesman's promises are worth nothing unless they're on paper or a signed off document.

Soldato
I would be pretty annoyed, just for starters on the fact that the sink is now in the path to you entering the shower and it is closer to the toilet, which you said was already in your face anyway when sat on the loo.

Associate
I would be pretty annoyed, just for starters on the fact that the sink is now in the path to you entering the shower and it is closer to the toilet, which you said was already in your face anyway when sat on the loo.

That would pretty much be my main concern actually, that the sink is blocking a lot of your exit from the shower.

Also they tiled the area between sink and shower on how the setup is supposed to be which obviously is now not tiled on your setup

Edit: Is this DWH? If so you've done well not having a more disastrous issue based on my experiences of the past 2 years :p

Soldato
That's definitely Crest Nicholson. Why are they fitting an electric shower in a new build? They're useless. Premium house builders my backside.

I would refuse to complete until they have sorted everything. I'm guessing paperwork will already be in place by now though.

Soldato
That's definitely Crest Nicholson. Why are they fitting an electric shower in a new build? They're useless. Premium house builders my backside.

I would refuse to complete until they have sorted everything. I'm guessing paperwork will already be in place by now though.

We have an electric shower in our en-suite so not uncommon. In fact it is the only shower we currently have in the house!

The tight wads fitted a 8.5KWh shower which was rubbish, luckily a few months ago it broke and I replaced it with a 10.5KWh shower which is great.

When we re-do the bathroom I will fit a shower but that impressed by the 10.5KWh shower unsure if I will go plumed direct from the combi or not.

Soldato

My new build also has an electric shower in the ensuite. The combi boiler wouldn't manage two showers so it feeds the main shower in the bathroom with the ensuite being an AquaLisa electric shower. Works okay for me and at least it's not a cheap £80 one.

Soldato
Looking at your photo above from the show house, the sink is approx 1 tile (if not less) from the toilet. Given that your new sink is 1 tile further over I can't see how the two are not going to be a reasonable distance apart at all. It's surely going to look very odd.

What a mess up, but as you say to re-work it will be a massive amount of work which I am sure they won't do or indeed give you anything decent for :(

Associate
What is the point in that boxed cavity if they're not using it for anything? Seems like a waste of space. Could have had a wider shower with that space?

In the situation though, the folding door that they have fitted isn't anywhere near as nice as the full panel glass door in the showhome. I particularly like how in the showhome it opens up to be flush against the wall and it ends perfectly where the bathroom door starts. So when the shower door is open, it's not in the way at all. Your folding one is.

Their suggestion of turning the shower head sideways will work to an extent but there will still be quite a lot of fine spray coming out of the shower. Have they taken a picture of a different home to yours? It looks a lot wider.

A suggestion for getting it fixed, are you able to say that the sink currently blocks to access to the shower which isn't suitable for people with disabilities? In the show home, this issue is solved by the sink being where the boxed cavity is. There may be a standard relating to this?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Whilst we have a folding door our shower does not spray directly on to it but parallel.

This would bug me forever, I don't think you should accept it or at least get some further compensation chucked your way...flooring/lighting/turf etc.

As you say it is a new 'luxury' home, and as such should at least be to the spec you were expecting.

Exactly, im also a bit insulted by the email enlightening me that a shower head will turn to the side. And that email took a week to come.

You can insist on what you like. Whether they choose to do anything is between you and your builder :)

Most I can see they would offer is to place the shower rail (not the shower unit) on the wall you want it and replace the two tiles they presumably had to drill originally.
To move the shower unit too, they'll have to redo the pipework, the wall and the shower and the tiling. Which is a bigger job entirely.

Salesman's promises are worth nothing unless they're on paper or a signed off document.

I don't think I will be happy with that as the the shower head tube will have to stretch across the left corner of the cubicle.

Exactly, until it gets handed over and I gain access I wont know for sure. The whole layout is a mess.

That would pretty much be my main concern actually, that the sink is blocking a lot of your exit from the shower.

Also they tiled the area between sink and shower on how the setup is supposed to be which obviously is now not tiled on your setup

Yes, they also managed to save on a few tiles on my layout :(

edit: Is this DWH? If so you've done well not having a more disastrous issue based on my experiences of the past 2 years :p

No its a company called Plumlife.

No its a company called Plumlife.
Im not too far down the line, i think the solicitor has just begun searches.

Looking at your photo above from the show house, the sink is approx 1 tile (if not less) from the toilet. Given that your new sink is 1 tile further over I can't see how the two are not going to be a reasonable distance apart at all. It's surely going to look very odd.

What a mess up, but as you say to re-work it will be a massive amount of work which I am sure they won't do or indeed give you anything decent for :(

Until I get access maybe next weekend I cant see If I will be resting my chin on the sink whilst on the toilet. They haven't provided any photos of that area.

What is the point in that boxed cavity if they're not using it for anything? Seems like a waste of space. Could have had a wider shower with that space?

Exactly, why not use the cavilty to run all the pipes for th eshower unit. They must have had to saw through all the back wall batons to fit the piping.

In the situation though, the folding door that they have fitted isn't anywhere near as nice as the full panel glass door in the showhome. I particularly like how in the showhome it opens up to be flush against the wall and it ends perfectly where the bathroom door starts. So when the shower door is open, it's not in the way at all. Your folding one is.

I agree. The correct layout is very nice use of space and I prefer the original door.

Their suggestion of turning the shower head sideways will work to an extent but there will still be quite a lot of fine spray coming out of the shower. Have they taken a picture of a different home to yours? It looks a lot wider.

A suggestion for getting it fixed, are you able to say that the sink currently blocks to access to the shower which isn't suitable for people with disabilities? In the show home, this issue is solved by the sink being where the boxed cavity is. There may be a standard relating to this?

My home should be the same as the showhome, i think its just the camera making it look bigger.

Not a bad idea with the disablilty access. My brothers wife has M.S and uses crutches, i think the sink position would cause access difficulty for somebody like her.

Associate
Hi,

Im in the process of waiting for new build to complete. I have bought off plan and had not access to the house.

I just had an email saying that they builder has positioned the boxed in cavity adjacent to the shower on the wrong side of the en-suite room. This meant they could not fit the normal swing door and have instead replaced with a folding door.

They sent me a picture.

YfDcGmW.png 478BB3F.jpg

I am kind of OK with the door, but I noticed the shower unit and head are on the wall facing the door??
In the showhouse the unit is correctly fitted on the right side wall with all the piping etc within the boxed in cavity.

5fpeZFb.png BEBYMou.jpg xD4ZTqo.jpg

I dont understand why they have not fitted the shower correctly to the left wall and had all the piping within the cavity.

I am not happy that the shower head is facing the door because.

1. Possibility of getting wet and water going outside when turning on the shower as its coming at you. I assume the water would be cold as first so wouldn't want to get in and close the door until the water temperature is right.

2. More chance of the water seeping through the fold in the door over time with a constant spray on it.

Here are plans to compare the showhouse first then my actual layout showing positions of everything.

bl6zlYC.jpg XdVVCMT.jpg

I have replied saying that I am not happy and await their reply, but I cannot see them wanting to move the shower now it is all tiled.

Does anyone know if there are any British standards or rules that say you are not to have the shower facing the door? I have found a couple of websites saying its bad practice but would love an british standard or similar to show them.

Cheers

Out of interest who is the contractors building the house? And since when did they start supplying electric showers?

But you should definitely kick up a storm. After 'll you've spent a lot money on the house!

Associate
There are lots of builders who supply electric showers.
I think you have two options: either tell them you want the en-suite built as per the drawings (something that the builder will only be too happy to tell you if you wanted something moved around that wasn’t already wrong “we’ve done it as per the drawings, not going to change it now”)
Or you can stick with what you’ve got and use it to negotiate something else like built in appliances or upgraded carpet or something. It would probably be easier for them to do something like that (the carpet etc) as it’s means less hassle organising trades.
Who is the builder out of interest?

Associate
You could ask to look at the plumbing and heating drawings, if they send them to you (no reason why they shouldn’t) you can say to them you want it changed.
I’ve not been on any plumlife sites, they seem to be a northern developer.

Soldato
Had my en-suite re-tiled 3 times because the contractor the builder hired used the wrong spacing between the tiles and did a **** poor job of it. Entailed ripping it all out, re-boarding and full re-tiling. 3 times.

If you're not happy, stand your ground or push for discount. Ultimately if you're not happy and just 'settling' it'll annoy you regardless and unless the discount is significant enough to get it rectified at your own cost and still be in pocket, I'd just push it back to them.

Soldato
I am in the process of buying a new build and wouldn't be accepting the builder trying to pass the problem on to me.

I'd be challenging why it is even being raised with me as something to review or agree to and that it sits with the developer to ensure its installed in line with the plans presented when putting down the deposit. I wouldn't be entertaining the idea at all and simply saying the house needs to be constructed in accordance with the agreed plans.

They are trying to pass on their poor performance to you to agree to instead of doing the works properly.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your comments.

You are right It would bug me forever how it is now.

I'm going to stand my ground, they will probably offer me the remaining plot but I prefer the bigger garden on my plot.

Back
Top Bottom