New Build - En-suite error - Shower facing door

Soldato
OP
You could ask to look at the plumbing and heating drawings, if they send them to you (no reason why they shouldn’t) you can say to them you want it changed.
I’ve not been on any plumlife sites, they seem to be a northern developer.

i got given this drawing which clearly shows the correct position of the shower, but not all the plumbing.

Qji9fvk.jpg

Associate
i got given this drawing which clearly shows the correct position of the shower, but not all the plumbing.
That’s it then. Just say it’s not as per the drawing and you would like it changed and for the inconvenience (delays, extra fees etc, something like that) you would like a proper mixer shower put it in instead thanks very much.

Soldato
We have an electric shower in our en-suite so not uncommon. In fact it is the only shower we currently have in the house!

The tight wads fitted a 8.5KWh shower which was rubbish, luckily a few months ago it broke and I replaced it with a 10.5KWh shower which is great.

When we re-do the bathroom I will fit a shower but that impressed by the 10.5KWh shower unsure if I will go plumed direct from the combi or not.
Remember guys to make sure that the mains cable supplying these showers is capable of supply higher amps for higher rated showers or you could have a fire from too much load for the new shower :)

Soldato
Remember guys to make sure that the mains cable supplying these showers is capable of supply higher amps for higher rated showers or you could have a fire from too much load for the new shower :)

Ours is fine... However I thought most new builds would have the right cable anyway?

Soldato

Qji9fvk.jpg
Based on this I'd be challenging the shower position but not the door. The door isn't shown so difficult to challenge but the shower position clearly is.

Bear in mind it's unlikely to even cost the developer a penny as they will likely charge it back to the subcontractor at fault.

Caporegime
Bear in mind it's unlikely to even cost the developer a penny as they will likely charge it back to the subcontractor at fault.

Pretty much this.

Whoever is at fault will foot the bill not the company your buying from.

Legally I think you could hold them to the drawings so they have to fix it. You shouldn't care if it costs someone a lot of hassle and money because it's their fault. Surely if they are building hundreds of these homes all the exact same they should know what the set up is by now?

Soldato
..have you checked with new neighbours did everyone (other than showhouse) get the adjustment - joint action ?

Soldato
OP
I met with the salesman and the Clerk of works yesterday on site to go an view the ensuite. This was the first time I had access to my plot.

i could probably live with the shower position but the sink is in the way somewhat of accessing the cubicle which would bug me.

What is far worse though is that the sink is over the toilet, you have to almost sit diagonally on the toilet so the sink isnt touching your chest.

They say they is no way that they can do any more work on the estate as they are handing over the houses today.

I said if you are not going to do the work then i want compensating so I can get the work done by someone myself before i move in.
They said they were going to have a meeting today to discuss an will let me know today.

I just had this email from the sales man.

"Just to confirm that handover didn’t take place today. I will update you once I have received the revised dates.
In the meantime, we have consulted with the developers and it has been agreed that we can move the shower arm and its attachment from the wall facing the shower door (but not the main control unit) to one of the side walls. Please can you let me know which wall you would prefer this to be fitted on?

Unfortunately at this stage in the build programme, we are unable to make any more alterations to the sink unit."

No mention of compensation...

Soldato
I met with the salesman and the Clerk of works yesterday on site to go an view the ensuite. This was the first time I had access to my plot.

i could probably live with the shower position but the sink is in the way somewhat of accessing the cubicle which would bug me.

What is far worse though is that the sink is over the toilet, you have to almost sit diagonally on the toilet so the sink isnt touching your chest.

They say they is no way that they can do any more work on the estate as they are handing over the houses today.

I said if you are not going to do the work then i want compensating so I can get the work done by someone myself before i move in.
They said they were going to have a meeting today to discuss an will let me know today.

I just had this email from the sales man.

"Just to confirm that handover didn’t take place today. I will update you once I have received the revised dates.
In the meantime, we have consulted with the developers and it has been agreed that we can move the shower arm and its attachment from the wall facing the shower door (but not the main control unit) to one of the side walls. Please can you let me know which wall you would prefer this to be fitted on?

Unfortunately at this stage in the build programme, we are unable to make any more alterations to the sink unit."

Laughable and not being able to get snags closed down because they've handed over the development is a load of rubbish.

I'd be standing my ground and saying it's not my problem. I.e. "please install it in accordance with the drawings you provided and advise once this has been completed."

Caporegime
While it's not to plan, I agree, it's really not that big a deal is it? I mean honestly it's not a HUGE issue. I'd be happy enough with it as it is. I really don't get the huge fuss? Sure there may be an issue with the shower spraying outside the shower but that's easily remedied. Take the offer of placing the rail and shower head on a side wall and stop worrying.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
For paying new house prices, I’d want it exactly as it was sold to me.

What they’ve done is unacceptable, the whole layout looks ridiculous now.

Associate
While it's not to plan, I agree, it's really not that big a deal is it? I mean honestly it's not a HUGE issue. I'd be happy enough with it as it is. I really don't get the huge fuss? Sure there may be an issue with the shower spraying outside the shower but that's easily remedied. Take the offer of placing the rail and shower head on a side wall and stop worrying.

Though the shower issue wouldn't be a big deal to me, having to sit diagonally on the toilet would! I would seriously stand your ground and back out if they refuse. They give you drawings, they should stick to them.

Soldato
I

That's total rubbish.

Speak with the developer, tell them you will not be instructing your solicitor / mortgage company to complete unless it is resolved.

The sink position alone is enough to halt this.

Ignore the Clerk of Works they represent the contractor teams interests.

Soldato
That's total rubbish.

Speak with the developer, tell them you will not be instructing your solicitor / mortgage company to complete unless it is resolved.

The sink position alone is enough to halt this.

Ignore the Clerk of Works they represent the contractor teams interests.

Spot on.

We are currently waiting on our developer to satisfactorily advise on a boundary concern before I'm prepared to exchange and won't be exchanging until it's fully closed down and I'm happy with the response.

Back
Top Bottom