New Build - En-suite error - Shower facing door

Soldato
...What is far worse though is that the sink is over the toilet, you have to almost sit diagonally on the toilet so the sink isnt touching your chest....
I thought this would be the biggest issue. Hope you get somewhere with it, expecting you to accept it is just a joke and a complete fingers up to you.

Soldato
OP
I said last week it was unacceptable and want it putting right or compensation to get it fixed myself.

I've just had another email from sales..

"As a gesture of good will instead, we would like to offer you £500 towards the cost of legal fees.

Please let me know if this is acceptable."

Does anyone know the minimum distance from the centreline of a toilet to sink?
I found some websites that states 15 inches but I want to quote an official code.

Last edited:
Associate
So that tells you they can't be bothered or it will cost more than £500 to put right with their discounted supplier rates. Joe Public ringing up the tiler, plumber etc to get this fixed will be paying more.

If they subcontracted out the work to a plumber or tiler originally, they will probably be able to bring them back to rectify and cost them [the house builder] very little. They are avoiding it either for timescales or an overdose of cant-be-arsed.

Caporegime
I said last week it was unacceptable and want it putting right or compensation to get it fixed myself.

I've just had another email from sales..

"As a gesture of good will instead, we would like to offer you £500 towards the cost of legal fees.

Please let me know if this is acceptable."

Does anyone know the minimum distance from the centreline of a toilet to sink?
I found some websites that states 15 inches but I want to quote an official code.

I'd ask for 5 times that amount or them to fix it.

Soldato
OP
So that tells you they can't be bothered or it will cost more than £500 to put right with their discounted supplier rates. Joe Public ringing up the tiler, plumber etc to get this fixed will be paying more.

If they subcontracted out the work to a plumber or tiler originally, they will probably be able to bring them back to rectify and cost them [the house builder] very little. They are avoiding it either for timescales or an overdose of cant-be-arsed.

They told me its not possible for the contractor to come back and fix it .. bot going to happen.

So i can only assume they have fallen out with the contractor or signed off this room.

I'd ask for 5 times that amount or them to fix it.

Yes, im thinking the same sort of amount.

Part M covers sanitary ware in domestic properties and covers spacing around toilets; 450 either side from the centre and 750 in front.
Have a look at the document and search for sanitary there will be a diagram showing the space around it.

Part M: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...BR_PDF_AD_M1_2015_with_2016_amendments_V3.pdf

Awesome find mate!! :)

Google wasn't coming up with anything useful for me.

I will send him these extracts.

LAd8A6m.jpg

Cheers

Caporegime
tbh to fix that it would probably cost about £2.5K if you know a cheap plumber.

your talking new tiles. more tiles too. new pipes as well being routed through the correct location. complete reseal of new shower. as well as the door you orginally wanted. then relocating sink may need new piping too which could mean ripping up the floor, etc.

in fact it could easily become a £5K job.

have you tested or used the shower? turn it on for 20 minutes and see if there is any leaks below etc. downstairs does the ceiling get wet. you never know they could have messed it up and it needs re-done anyway. same with sink and toilet flush it a few times and leave the sink running. if there is a leak they would need to come out anyway. so then you can say they may as well do the job properly.

you never know a leak may just happen. if you haven't checked it all out.

Caporegime
They told me its not possible for the contractor to come back and fix it .. bot going to happen.

So i can only assume they have fallen out with the contractor or signed off this room.

Well they can just employe someone else to do the work.

Ring up some plumbers, get a ball park figure and a few extra £££ and demand that if they're not willing to resolve the issues themselves.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
moving that cavity has really screwed the whole room as it means they had to relocate the washbasin, which then has a knock on effect for the WC

the layout they have given you simply doesnt work all because of 1 slight mistake

they realise they have screwed up so relocate the basin slightly right so it doesnt impede entrance to the shower..but this then moves it closer to the toilet, its just one mistake covering another mistake

until its rectified, the room wont work, it will bug you every morning you get into the shower or want to sit comfortably having a dump

Soldato
OP
moving that cavity has really screwed the whole room as it means they had to relocate the washbasin, which then has a knock on effect for the WC

the layout they have given you simply doesnt work all because of 1 slight mistake

they realise they have screwed up so relocate the basin slightly right so it doesnt impede entrance to the shower..but this then moves it closer to the toilet, its just one mistake covering another mistake

until its rectified, the room wont work, it will bug you every morning you get into the shower or want to sit comfortably having a dump

Exactly

Jjy4yYD.jpg

Caporegime
yeah I'd ask for £5K. then accept anything above £3K.

i reckon you should be able to get it all fixed for £2.5K (however I would want the extra £500 as good will gesture / compensation for all the hassle) but I personally wouldn't bother actually getting it fixed after getting the cash. I'd keep the cash until you want to refurbish the en-suite in 5-10 years time. Then get it all done properly for free. Basically a free refurb in 5-10 years time.

Associate
Should you choose to get it fixed yourself, then make sure you get either
a) spare tiles supplied by the house builder
b) the product code for the tiles, and confirm with the distributor that they are still made, and still available

Our house builder has to replace the tiles in our bathroom, the ones they put up are no longer made, and so they have to replace the lot, not just the area they need to work on. All for the sake of a spare box of tiles.

Soldato
OP
Had a reply.

"The details you have provided are regulations which relate to meeting disability access requirements in a w.c. They don’t relate to an ensuite.

Our offer of £500 legal fees stands. Please let me know whether you wish to intend to proceed with the purchase of the property."

Soldato
Had a reply.

"The details you have provided are regulations which relate to meeting disability access requirements in a w.c. They don’t relate to an ensuite.

Our offer of £500 legal fees stands. Please let me know whether you wish to intend to proceed with the purchase of the property."

Are you prepared to walk away from the house? Has the rest of the development sold? If the developer thinks they can sell the house to somebody else, I suspect they won't bend over too far and try to call your bluff (£500 or walk away)

Back
Top Bottom