New build - i7

Soldato
Have you heard about those i9 processors?! Wow.
i7 out of i9 cats will have. (poor pun)

Actually I just thought about Windows, isn't your copy of Windows tied to your motherboard or something odd like that? Ending up with no OS could be a problem.
Depends if it's an OEM or retail copy. That said, i've never had a problem moving Windows from different computers - via Microsoft chat or phone call, just blag it. If not buy a cheap key from bay ~£10.

Yeah no joke, since I got a 144hz monitor I've played DMC5, Re2, Kenshi (altho it chugs) and BDO (dips in cities) and all solid 144fps. So near enough!
Ah, you mean they're running on your 144Hz monitor - you won't be getting a steady 144FPS on all titles, far from it, with settings on ultra (Your GPU bound games will have far less average. Although, I don't recognise some of the titles). Try running MSI after burner or see if the games have an in game FPS display - or benchmark. I'm afraid you'll be slightly disappointed at your actual, average FPS if you play on ULTRA in RE2 (if the remake version) - Google YouTube RE2 GTX 1070 1440p. Look up BDO gameplay at 1440p on a 1070 too *Some of the other games look CPU bound - but i'm not a gamer...

Your 1440p - 144Hz monitor would benefit more from a 9700K and a RTX 2070 combo (if funds were an issue), unless you plan to upgrade GPU soon? That said if you play mostly niche games with low quality GFX and are mostly CPU bound this wouldn't be such an issue...

EDIT: I tried getting some RE2 examples - but gameplay in examples were too different for comparison. So below is a comparison of the 1070 with the RTX 2070 in 7 popular games to give you an idea of expected FPS in top tier games *You're only interested in the 1440p examples:

To keep the SSDs stable or did something just go over my head?
To tidy cables - so they're not hanging - as you will have a windowed case (but was more a comment in jest).

**Excuse all the edits - working late on something else, at the same time, while still drinking like it's a Friday night...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
i7 out of i9 cats will have. (poor pun)

Depends if it's an OEM or retail copy. That said, i've never had a problem moving Windows from different computers - via Microsoft chat or phone call, just blag it. If not buy a cheap key from bay ~£10.

I've tied my Win10 to my email so even if it flags my motherboard on the computer swap I think I can just sign into Outlook through Windows Update and it will authenticate.

Ah, you mean they're running on your 144Hz monitor - you won't be getting a steady 144FPS on all titles, far from it, with settings on ultra (Your GPU bound games will have far less average. Although, I don't recognise some of the titles). Try running MSI after burner or see if the games have an in game FPS display - or benchmark. I'm afraid you'll be slightly disappointed at your actual, average FPS if you play on ULTRA in RE2 (if the remake version) - Google YouTube RE2 GTX 1070 1440p. Look up BDO gameplay at 1440p on a 1070 too *Some of the other games look CPU bound - but i'm not a gamer...

Your 1440p - 144Hz monitor would benefit more from a 9700K and a RTX 2070 combo (if funds were an issue), unless you plan to upgrade GPU soon? That said if you play mostly niche games with low quality GFX and are mostly CPU bound this wouldn't be such an issue...

EDIT: I tried getting some RE2 examples - but gameplay in examples were too different for comparison. So below is a comparison of the 1070 with the RTX 2070 in 7 popular games to give you an idea of expected FPS in top tier games *You're only interested in the 1440p examples:

Ah, I'm not playing them on Ultra, settings are customized to hit 144fps. They do chug sometimes though, Re2 is flawless in the campaign but the 4th survivor and ghost survivors chug a lot because of the speed you run through the levels, and I think that is something to do with the 3570k struggling to load all the enemigos and rooms as you speed through. Kenshi is 144fps solid when a cell is loaded, problem is the game is bigger than the Isle of Wight so it's split up into hundreds of cells and when each loads up the FPS gets murdered for a few seconds, especially on triple game speed. Again I blame that on the 3570k. Devil May Cry 5 is flawless though, the optimization in the game is nuts.

The 2070 is definitely a monster but I don't have any desire to upgrade yet. I went from a Radeon 4850 to a GTX670 to a GTX1070 and each was a biiiig jump, much more than 30% and it felt amazing :D

To tidy cables - so they're not hanging - as you will have a windowed case (but was more a comment in jest).

**Excuse all the edits - working late on something else, at the same time, while still drinking like it's a Friday night...

Honestly thought you meant to zip tie my gonads LOL

Soldato
I've tied my Win10 to my email so even if it flags my motherboard on the computer swap I think I can just sign into Outlook through Windows Update and it will authenticate.
You hopefully won't have an issue - and as mentioned a quick MS Live chat usually resolves it.

Ah, I'm not playing them on Ultra, settings are customized to hit 144fps. They do chug sometimes though, Re2 is flawless in the campaign but the 4th survivor and ghost survivors chug a lot because of the speed you run through the levels, and I think that is something to do with the 3570k struggling to load all the enemigos and rooms as you speed through. Kenshi is 144fps solid when a cell is loaded, problem is the game is bigger than the Isle of Wight so it's split up into hundreds of cells and when each loads up the FPS gets murdered for a few seconds, especially on triple game speed. Again I blame that on the 3570k. Devil May Cry 5 is flawless though, the optimization in the game is nuts.
Sounds like the GTX 1070 is doing all that you ask of it for the games you play and the way you play them. The GTX 1070 is/was a great card and still performs well at 1440p even on high settings - and your 3570K will be a bottleneck on some titles (this will become a non issue with your upgrade.). The performance jump from the GTX 670 must have been very satisfying - it's worth the wait and price drops if you're happy with performance.

You'll probably enjoy the next incarnation of cards, if and when your game catalogue warrants it.

Honestly thought you meant to zip tie my gonads LOL
Yep, elastration (castration by banding) - is usually my 'last' go to method for getting members to tidy cables :D

Back
Top Bottom