New build - i7

Man of Honour
OK, when did you get one of those? :D

It doesn't help, bud - just makes for longer threads, believe me i tried - but the OP seems clued up and if he has the funds the 9900K will keep him happy for years. As, i said, each to their own... :) (Don't take offence @Omaeka - this is a general discussion - not a scathing indictment on your choices).
Thing is, if one wants to keep the CPU for longer, then a multicore (12/16 core) part a la amd ryzen 3000 is probably the better choice. Eg 3570k Vs 3770k from yesteryear.

I realise it's not an apples for apples comparison but these drip drip flaws, which ultimately are affecting performance, just seem to be a 'one news bulletin' wonder and then completely forgotten again by main stream media, and by default the main stream consumer. Teflon INTEL.
Computing flaws don't make the news outlets money lol

Soldato
Thing is, if one wants to keep the CPU for longer, then a multicore (12/16 core) part a la amd ryzen 3000 is probably the better choice. Eg 3570k Vs 3770k from yesteryear.
Preaching to the choir, but guessing you're reaching for a broader audience. :D But, agreed - there's no hiding from future multicore coding/games from now on...

Computing flaws don't make the news outlets money lol
Embarrassing blue chip companies usually fills mainstream media briefs - i just don't think they understand.

@Plec

Think this 3333 memory kit is the one you meant (you've been speccing it too recently), for the same price:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

True, @Danny75, good spot - thanks.

Soldato
With the amount of hyperthreading flaws...might as well switch off the hyperthreading in 9900k and use is as a 9700k! Lol :D

hyper threading and SMT ... rather have pure core counts then artificial but rumored Zen3 pushing 3 threads per core does seem like a pretty sweet idea !

heat load intels HT puts on is off putting and in games... makes no difference really unless your an AoS nut and want a ton of 4k action :D

@Plec consoles game developers will only develop for what they have in front of them - given 8 cores and 16 threads, then they'll make do with that for 5 years. At the start games wont be impressive but like all consoles, what they are able to push out at the products end of life cycle is incredible !
DX12 and vulcan really need to get a move on and be shoved down PC developers throats !
Key to a well developed Game is that its able to run on the Lowest System, as well as tax the greatest system with full bells and whistles ! Anno 1800 can be played pretty much on any i3 2 core rigs , but play 4k Ultra and brings 2080 GTX and i7 to its kness when a full map is populated and in last stages of game play
still 90% of steam games are i3/i5 recommended games , guessing it'll take end of Zen5 to finally see 6/8 cores in Steam Hardware hit 50% :(... currently they are at 3% .... 2/4 cores 80% << what game developers need to get working to sell copies of games !

just having my fingers crossed for Ryzen 3*** hitting 5ghz OC and cheaper then intel .

Soldato
@Plec consoles game developers will only develop for what they have in front of them - given 8 cores and 16 threads, then they'll make do with that for 5 years. At the start games wont be impressive but like all consoles, what they are able to push out at the products end of life cycle is incredible !
DX12 and vulcan really need to get a move on and be shoved down PC developers throats !
That's the hope - we've been sat on old rehashed engines for too long - totally saturated now for newer breeds of CPU.

Key to a well developed Game is that its able to run on the Lowest System, as well as tax the greatest system with full bells and whistles ! Anno 1800 can be played pretty much on any i3 2 core rigs , but play 4k Ultra and brings 2080 GTX and i7 to its kness when a full map is populated and in last stages of game play
still 90% of steam games are i3/i5 recommended games , guessing it'll take end of Zen5 to finally see 6/8 cores in Steam Hardware hit 50% :(... currently they are at 3% .... 2/4 cores 80% << what game developers need to get working to sell copies of games !
Yep, agreed, the perennial problem of coding for multi-faceted systems. That said - i'm sure with redeveloped engines, from the core up, some of these issues could be addressed - they cater well enough for the multi-GPU universe, they could start making contingencies for those with multiple cores. The i3/i5 user should still be accommodated for, no doubt (they would crap all over their potential revenue if not) - but i would argue that you can't leave users with 4+ cores in hand, laying idle, as the hardware industry makes continual strides. In this case the past 2 years and counting - time and cores are not stopping and gamers/enthusiasts will start demanding that their spangly (not so new in some cases) hardware be taxed. Fine balancing act i know..

just having my fingers crossed for Ryzen 3*** hitting 5ghz OC and cheaper then intel .
As long as it's within '**** you, INTEL' distance, i don't care if it hits that magical 5GHz - but it would be media/sales gold for AMD if they get that headline.

Man of Honour
hyper threading and SMT ... rather have pure core counts then artificial but rumored Zen3 pushing 3 threads per core does seem like a pretty sweet idea !
Yeah. Pure core count is always preferred. Hence my reasons for waiting to see what ryzen 3000 does.
If it performs up to expectations (and discounting SMT/HT) even if there is a slight single core deficit. 12/16c ryzen > 8c intel if keeping the CPU for any length of time. Not to mention pcie 4.0 on x570...

Soldato
Yeah. Pure core count is always preferred. Hence my reasons for waiting to see what ryzen 3000 does.
If it performs up to expectations (and discounting SMT/HT) even if there is a slight single core deficit. 12/16c ryzen > 8c intel if keeping the CPU for any length of time. Not to mention pcie 4.0 on x570...
You are 'so' going to dip your toe in... /does best 'vacuous teenage girl' impression.

Man of Honour
You are 'so' going to dip your toe in... /does best 'vacuous teenage girl' impression.
Not my money to spend, so idgaf what op spends his money on, really :p
Despite what people may think, there is a wrong and right answer. And the wrong answer is buying an intel CPU right now.

Man of Honour
(which is why I've stopped speccing builds currently)
The right answer is to wait and see if ryzen 3000 is as revolutionary as rumours claim it will be.
That way, if it is that good...then buy it. Or if you are a die-hard intel lubetaker fanboy, then the prices of their CPUs should drop.
If it isn't that great...then well...you were going to get an intel anyway...

Associate
You would have to be off your head to buy into an expensive intel chip at the moment, what with there security issues, thermal and power issues, possibility of loosing hyperthreading and of course the new Zen 2 chips due out imminently and likely going to decimate the 9900k and everything else.

Soldato
Not my money to spend, so idgaf what op spends his money on, really :p
Nah, i meant you're going to break and buy Zen 2 :D

Despite what people may think, there is a wrong and right answer. And the wrong answer is buying an intel CPU right now.
Shhhh - wrong thread for that. :)

The right answer is to wait and see if ryzen 3000 is as revolutionary as rumours claim it will be.
That way, if it is that good...then buy it. Or if you are a die-hard intel lubetaker fanboy, then the prices of their CPUs should drop.
If it isn't that great...then well...you were going to get an intel anyway...
Totally, agree - i think we (myself, you, Orbi, Danny) have been singing from this hymn sheet now for a couple of months now. But now the choir is getting louder than the organist. Danger is we start to sound like 'die hard AMD butt boys' to the uninitiated. It's hard to bring members up to speed in a couple of paragraphs - especially given AMD's efforts before Ryzen. But, we try...

I want choice - and for INTEL to be forced to drop their time honoured ridiculous price structure. Win, win...

Man of Honour
Nah, i meant you're going to break and buy Zen 2 :D
Totes lol. Mitx build in the neo-g mini ;)
12/16c ryzen 3000
32gb ram
Current 1080ti
Full solid state storage (1tb nvme and 1tb sata3)
CPU and GPU with aio solutions (h100i V2 and evga aio - both current)
That's the plan. :D

Rip 3770k 2012-2019

Soldato
Totes lol. Mitx build in the neo-g mini ;)
12/16c ryzen 3000
32gb ram
Current 1080ti
Full solid state storage (1tb nvme and 1tb sata3)
CPU and GPU with aio solutions (h100i V2 and evga aio - both current)
That's the plan. :D
I wouldn't be surprised if you were just buying the 3700X(sic) to justify your purchase of the neo-g :D . I look forward to your build pics as that case is almost ITX perfection with vertical slot and gap from window (which should be a panel :p).

EDIT: Just re-read - your considering 16 core?

I may go for 8c/16tX - undecided, as i may not have it long. I may play with Ryzen 4000 - i can't see any requests for upgrades coming my way in 2020 (i can see a lot in latter 2019 if Zen 2 hits the ground running). If not 12c/24tX max.
Full ATX, Gigabyte for me - and looking hard at the Phantek P600S with additional side panel - along with the Dark Rock Pro 4.
Yep, 32GB too - unsure of speed but 3400+...
And dumping 1070 for RTX 2070 - kinda, what the hell purchase.
And all new SSDs (i have a couple of small ones) - although this will be expensive - may even get an NVMe, although i have zero need. We'll see - easy to speculate when not punched into a screen as a final amount.

Rip 3770k 2012-2019
Your new Roblox server?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I wouldn't be surprised if you were just buying the 3700X(sic) to justify your purchase of the neo-g :D . I look forward to your build pics as that case is almost ITX perfection with vertical slot and gap from window (which should be a panel :p).
EDIT: Just re-read - your considering 16 core?
yeah, if ps5 is gonna be octa-core, then it might follow that more games are going to be multithreaded in the (not too distant) future. and if, like op, i'm going to keep my cpu for 7+ years, then the only sensible route is a 12/16 core cpu.
definitely 12 core at minimum. 16c if the boost clocks are similar to the 12c counterpart, and not a crazy amount of money extra.

Your new Roblox server?
nah. flog it on the bay lol.

Soldato
OP
Thank you so much guys, not going to upgrade GPU as I'm only on 1440p and had no issues with it - he's only 3 years old I can't throw him out yet, 5 year minimum tenancy :p ... plus swapping out GPUs is doable for me, so I don't mind doing that in a few years.
Is this a full PC except drives and GPU? Aren't their supposed to be like, wires and stuff? Lmao exactly why I'm getting it built!

Can't be changing to i9 now, I'm afraid. It's the rules.

IT IS AN i9! I never even realized, thought it was a i7 9900k. This is new levels of excitement :eek:

That's almost double 5 :cool:

I had no clue the i9 was even a thing, sounds like some over the top cpu for running a server or something, even though it aint.

Soldato
Thank you so much guys,
Sod them, direct all your thanks this way! :D (Although, good spot by @Danny75)

Aren't their supposed to be like, wires and stuff? Lmao exactly why I'm getting it built!
All cables come with motherboard and case - and if pre-built you'll need to be sure to ask for you sata leads/cables as you will be fitting your drives?

Is this a full PC except drives and GPU?
Yep, although the addition of the 2070 would be a nice jump if you have the funds at 1440p.

Soldato
OP
Sod them, direct all your thanks this way! :D (Although, good spot by @Danny75)

Hey! I didn't even know the i9 was a thing until someone said haha, but thank you :D

All cables come with motherboard and case - and if pre-built you'll need to be sure to ask for you sata leads/cables as you will be fitting your drives?

Would the cables in my current PC not be enough? There is one going into the motherboard and one going into the PSU right? I'll have to look. Being honest though, I just plugged the SSDs in and they kinda just... hang out, yeah that's the word for it.

Yep, although the addition of the 2070 would be a nice jump if you have the funds at 1440p.

Even now I can keep 144fps in near enough every game unless it wants something out of the CPU, a big reason for the upgrade was that in anything CPU intensive I saw bad chugging and stuttering, It is definitely a lack of CPU power and it is very noticeable in the two main games I play which are Kenshi and Black Desert.

Soldato
I didn't even know the i9 was a thing until someone said haha
Shhh - people never read the full thread - act like you knew all along.

Would the cables in my current PC not be enough? There is one going into the motherboard and one going into the PSU right? I'll have to look. Being honest though, I just plugged the SSDs in and they kinda just... hang out, yeah that's the word for it.
You will need the extra cables for your modular PSU - i'm sure they will supply these. Case cables pre-attached to case - but will have other bits'n'bobs which i'me sure they'll add. As for SATA cables and motherboard extras - i would still ask for them - but again they probably supply them. Doesn't hurt to remind OcUK that you will want all superfluous fittings...

Even now I can keep 144fps in near enough every game
Doobly-what-now? At 1440p?

EDIT:
and they kinda just... hang out, yeah that's the word for it.
Oh, and ask for some free zip ties along with the Haribo.

Soldato
OP
Shhh - people never read the full thread - act like you knew all along.

Have you heard about those i9 processors?! Wow.

You will need the extra cables for your modular PSU - i'm sure they will supply these. Case cables pre-attached to case - but will have other bits'n'bobs which i'me sure they'll add. As for SATA cables and motherboard extras - i would still ask for them - but again they probably supply them. Doesn't hurt to remind OcUK that you will want all superfluous fittings...

Actually I just thought about Windows, isn't your copy of Windows tied to your motherboard or something odd like that? Ending up with no OS could be a problem.

Doobly-what-now? At 1440p?

Yeah no joke, since I got a 144hz monitor I've played DMC5, Re2, Kenshi (altho it chugs) and BDO (dips in cities) and all solid 144fps. So near enough!

EDIT:
Oh, and ask for some free zip ties along with the Haribo.
To keep the SSDs stable or did something just go over my head?

Back
Top Bottom