New build

Soldato
^^^ if your son doesn't like that then you'll have to give in to his demands :D

@4K8KW10 that's a mark up , we'll notice the difference and why but OP son wouldn't, not yet . £100 if your a kid is big money :D or 5 steam games on sale

Associate
if you're putting a 2600 in a B350 board, ask customer services to check it has a BIOS that'll support the chip on it. (Else you may need an older Ryzen chip to update BIOS so it can run the 2600).

Soldato
Ventilation in that case looks crap

Small slits at the front . Unfortunately cases like these , got to run them negative pressure as most tend to try and run positive and then it's just asking for trouble .

Not expecting thermals to be to high, but realistically I'm not expecting this case to have a long shelf life . I think I got through a case every other year from ages of 10-20 :D

Associate
OP
So we're now looking at this, with £30 left over on the budget.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £538.82 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

It's a real shame the x470 board is out of stock or I'd have persuaded him to go £10 over to get it

Soldato
So we're now looking at this, with £30 left over on the budget.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £538.82 (includes shipping: £0.00)

It's a real shame the x470 board is out of stock or I'd have persuaded him to go £10 over to get it

Contact OCUK to find when in stock. Personally would order the x470 one and wait till it rolls in .
Shouldn't be to long, come Monday , sure we can take the Gigabyte rep on here to see when batches are arriving . As it looks like x470s went like hot cakes

Soldato
I think its status is on pre-order which means they haven't arrived yet at all.

All boards went pre order before launch, sure I saw few numbers of various boards including the Ultra on launch day but most of been bought. And then goes into pre-order for first come first served on next batch. Could be wrong but know ocuk would have had Aorus boards in at launch day

Other sites have them in bit low numbers , some same price others slightly more. Think OCUK shifted a lot

Permabanned
All boards went pre order before launch, sure I saw few numbers of various boards including the Ultra on launch day but most of been bought. And then goes into pre-order for first come first served on next batch. Could be wrong but know ocuk would have had Aorus boards in at launch day

Other sites have them in bit low numbers , some same price others slightly more. Think OCUK shifted a lot

I suspect it is the global availability because some third-world EU member states have zero supply of any X470 boards.

Associate
OP
After more discussion with the boy child, he decided against waiting for the Aorus board to come back into stock and we've gone ahead with the AB350 board.

Thanks for your help everyone... and stand by for a new thread where I start asking for help with the build! (I'm going to oversee him doing it himself, but I haven't actually put a pc together for about a decade)

Soldato
Latest micro code AGESA 1.0.0.2 is out Fornigjt of bios F23 . Hopefully board that gets shipped to you had F20 bios to Ryzen 2*** CPU to boot. If not, post back on here and sure rep can help

Soldato
I've had an update from OC customer support to say they can't flash the bios to the latest release prior to shipping, so I've told them to go ahead with the delivery anyway. Hopefully the board will have the right release on it, but if not they provided me with the below link with a process to follow from AMD

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx

Gigabyte board , if AMD take a while ... Then believe gigabyte can flash the board since UK based , double check with @GIGA-Man

Associate
OP
I came home from work this evening to find the boy is already well on the way to putting this machine together - PSU in the case, processor and fan assembly plus ram installed on the motherboard.

He just needs to install the board in the case, add the SSD and see if it boots up or needs a bios flash now!

Soldato
I came home from work this evening to find the boy is already well on the way to putting this machine together - PSU in the case, processor and fan assembly plus ram installed on the motherboard.

He just needs to install the board in the case, add the SSD and see if it boots up or needs a bios flash now!

Remember ram in slots 2 and 4 !

Associate
OP
Thanks for the tip with the ram. Just checked on the board and it looks like the slots are numbered (from the fan) 4-2-3-1 whilst alternating black-red-black-red, so that would be one chip in the 1st black slot, and the other in the 2nd red? I would have thought it would be both black slots, then both reds when he buys more.

Also noticed we didn't buy an SSD mounting bracket and the case only has 3.5" bays, so that's going to be fun

Soldato
Thanks for the tip with the ram. Just checked on the board and it looks like the slots are numbered (from the fan) 4-2-3-1 whilst alternating black-red-black-red, so that would be one chip in the 1st black slot, and the other in the 2nd red? I would have thought it would be both black slots, then both reds when he buys more.

Also noticed we didn't buy an SSD mounting bracket and the case only has 3.5" bays, so that's going to be fun

I would check the Motherboard Manual, would have thought the RAM sits in two slots that are the same colour surely (red+red or black+black)

Back
Top Bottom