New build

Associate
OP
... and we're back to square one. It would appear that the fan assemble got installed the wrong way around, so the little bump on it is ever so slightly blocking the first RAM slot. Unscrewing and rotating the fan led to the back plate coming off the motherboard so that has to be unscrewed from the case too

Soldato
... and we're back to square one. It would appear that the fan assemble got installed the wrong way around, so the little bump on it is ever so slightly blocking the first RAM slot. Unscrewing and rotating the fan led to the back plate coming off the motherboard so that has to be unscrewed from the case too

Yeah I had to Install my AMD cooler with the bump facing the rear of the case at it blocked the RAM slots, Pain in the backside but atleast ill remember for next time

Associate
OP
The motherboard manual isn't exactly clear, but I eventually found a table that shows when using two sticks of ram you can go either both red or both black

Associate
OP
Getting close now, but looks like the boy has had enough of fiddling with cables for now.

Next holdup is that the case has 3 fans with molex connectors, but the psu only has 2 molex cables. I'm assuming it's possible to pick up an adapter to convert one of the multitude of sata power connections into an additional molex?

Soldato
Getting close now, but looks like the boy has had enough of fiddling with cables for now.

Next holdup is that the case has 3 fans with molex connectors, but the psu only has 2 molex cables. I'm assuming it's possible to pick up an adapter to convert one of the multitude of sata power connections into an additional molex?

Yep, maplins or eBay :)

Associate
OP
PC is now all put together, but when it's turned on we just get the fans powered up and lots of red lights on the motherboard.

MB1.jpg
[/url]
mb2.jpg
[/url]
mb3.jpg
[/url]

I'm guessing that means we're going to need to flash the bios somehow?

Soldato
PC is now all put together, but when it's turned on we just get the fans powered up and lots of red lights on the motherboard.

MB1.jpg
[/url]
mb2.jpg
[/url]
mb3.jpg
[/url]

I'm guessing that means we're going to need to flash the bios somehow?

Yes, there's two ways, AMD can supply a loan boot kit (cheap CPU to flash, or board can be sent to gigabyte for them to flash - have to pay postage I believe

Associate
OP
Just came up with another possible option - find the cheapest 2nd hand AMD chip that's supported by the MB and use that to flash the bios ourselves.
That sounds a bit risky though so I think I'll dig out the details for gigabyte and drop them an email about sending the board over to them.

Shame though, the boy did a pretty good job with the cable management, although you can't really tell from those pictures

Soldato
Just came up with another possible option - find the cheapest 2nd hand AMD chip that's supported by the MB and use that to flash the bios ourselves.
That sounds a bit risky though so I think I'll dig out the details for gigabyte and drop them an email about sending the board over to them.

Shame though, the boy did a pretty good job with the cable management, although you can't really tell from those pictures

No worries, @GIGA-Man is one of the reps on here . I think AMD send out the cheapest AM4 available on loan and then you send it back

Associate
OP
I've told the boy to drop Gigabyte an email with a short explanation and asking them to help. I really want him to feel like this is his project, rather than him helping me put it together for him

Associate
OP
It's been a while but here's an update...

After leaving the RMA process in my son's hands for a little over a month and seemingly getting nowhere, I took over.

Two emails later, we have an RMA number from gigabyte. All we need to do now is print out the form, box up the board and send it back for a bios update.
They've advised that we can leave the processor connected to the board when we return it, which would give them the opportunity to check that the new bios actually works with it, and it won't add much to the postage costs weight wise

Soldato
It's been a while but here's an update...

After leaving the RMA process in my son's hands for a little over a month and seemingly getting nowhere, I took over.

Two emails later, we have an RMA number from gigabyte. All we need to do now is print out the form, box up the board and send it back for a bios update.
They've advised that we can leave the processor connected to the board when we return it, which would give them the opportunity to check that the new bios actually works with it, and it won't add much to the postage costs weight wise

good to hear- seen extreme cases Gigabyte asking for full system to either nail down a big fault or prove a point .

hopefully RMA goes quickly for you, should have a turn around time of 7 days - if a little longer give the Rep a shout on here

Associate
OP
It's going to be a few days before we even send it off - got to wait till I have access to a printer late next week.

I'm just wondering whether it's worth removing the cooler, or if I should leave that attached too when I send it off

Soldato
It's going to be a few days before we even send it off - got to wait till I have access to a printer late next week.

I'm just wondering whether it's worth removing the cooler, or if I should leave that attached too when I send it off

aftermarket cooler or stock? if it fits in the box then just leave it on . not sure the amount of weight it adds

Back
Top Bottom