New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
If you're tempted by this monitor there's nothing stopping you running it at 60Hz for now with a view to upping the refresh rate at a later stage if you upgrade your GPU. Just bear in mind you will essentially be paying extra for a high refresh rate that you won't use.

Out of interest, if the U2719D meets you needs why I you considering a new monitor?
No, I currently have a Samsung S24D590, 60hz with a TFT PLS screen. I want a new monitor and I don't know which one to choose between the U2719D and the S2721DGF. Almost the same price, that's what confuses me!

I understand that if I take the S2721DGF, I will be paying extra for the higher refresh rate but as I said I really like the design. And you're right, I can change my GPU in the future.

But what justifies the same price for the U2719D? The fine design and the factory calibration at 99% sRGB coverage are not important for me, so is there something else?

That's why comparing the Excel experience is something very important and that's why if I'm sure that there won't be any difference well then I'll take the S2721DGF, otherwise of course I'll take the U2719D :p

Last edited:
Associate
From a brief check, looks like the U2719D is aimed more at image editing etc, with the factory calibration and 99% sRGB coverage being the main differences.

If you aren't bothered by those things then the S2721DGF seems the way to go given you also game.

Man of Honour
No, I currently have a Samsung S24D590, 60hz with a TFT PLS screen. I want a new monitor and I don't know which one to choose between the U2719D and the S2721DGF. Almost the same price, that's what confuses me!

I understand that if I take the S2721DGF, I will be paying extra for the higher refresh rate but as I said I really like the design. And you're right, I can change my GPU in the future.

But what justifies the same price for the U2719D? The fine design and the factory calibration at 99% sRGB coverage are not important for me, so is there something else?

That's why comparing the Excel experience is something very important and that's why if I'm sure that there won't be any difference well then I'll take the S2721DGF, otherwise of course I'll take the U2719D :p

In your case, I'd get both and take a week to decide before sending one back.

Soldato
Can you really get a nicer 'Excel experience' with better sRGB coverage? :p I'd actually say higher refresh rate and scrolling would be better for Excel/Office use tbh...

If you wasn't aware, you can get 15% off the Dell monitor prices with a NHS/Student discount code if you can grab one. So would make the S2721DGF only £331 which is a steal (hence I have one arriving Monday :D)

If you do want the U2719D the same discount scheme offers 20% off U and AW monitors.

Associate
From a brief check, looks like the U2719D is aimed more at image editing etc, with the factory calibration and 99% sRGB coverage being the main differences.
If you aren't bothered by those things then the S2721DGF seems the way to go given you also game.
Correct. Those things are really not important for me. So that's a good argument for the S2721DGF :p

Can you really get a nicer 'Excel experience' with better sRGB coverage? :p I'd actually say higher refresh rate and scrolling would be better for Excel/Office use tbh....
I was mainly concerned about the clarity and the sharpness of the text. Maybe 'Excel Experience' wasn't really the right name for that :p

Soldato
I would also like to know how the text clarity is on this, sometimes the anti glare coating makes text look a little soft.

Its fine, the screen is great tbh; if you are after perfect colour quality and factory tuned then pickup the Ultrasharp because thats what it's built for. It's also less gamey looking. Ultrasharps are also good for gaming, but the vsync tearing annoys me.

Associate
OP
I came form three samsung 24" 1200p res monitors and got three u2719d and the anti refelct coating is much better on the dells, much less grain to it and also the text is razor sharp. Just to point out i can read smaller text better on the dell compaird to my samsung as its a higher DPI meaning the text was bigger on the samsung and smaller on the dells and i could read it better on the dells which was strange but must be down to how good the screens are.

The U2919D and s2721DGF use the same anti reflect coating.
Screen Coating
Anti-glare, 3H Hard Coating

Associate
I think most of the dell screens these days use practically the same coating tbh. Most likely the same.
The U2719D is a 8-bit panel so technically not as capable as the S2721DGF for image editing either. Provided of course, that you have some calibration tool. Both my S2721DGF's reach way above 100% srgb.

Associate
OP
I think most of the dell screens these days use practically the same coating tbh. Most likely the same.
The U2719D is a 8-bit panel so technically not as capable as the S2721DGF for image editing either. Provided of course, that you have some calibration tool. Both my S2721DGF's reach way above 100% srgb.

wrong,

sRGB. That standard remains by far the dominant colour format for Windows, Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, and every other gaming platform you can think of. Game developers create graphic assets in sRGB with almost none even considering other color space definitions. The format reached its max potential with 8-bit, 16.7 million colours.

Major movie studios created a much wider color gamut called DCI-P3 & with 10-bit, 1.07 billion colours. While sRBG is standard definition, DCI-P3 and its relative Rec. 2020 were created for ultra HD and HDR movies

If you want a bottom line right now, it’s that sRGB works fine for gaming because games are created with sRGB by default. Unlike movies, TV shows, and design, where DCI-P3 and other wide gamut formats have become the norm. However, while sRGB definitely suffices for gaming, DCI-P3 may be up your alley because it saturates colors and some people enjoy that effect.

Good monitors with DCI-P3 will have a sRGB emulation mode to fix the over satarated colours for that type of work.

also all sRGB monitors are 8 bit these S2721DGF are not true 10bit they are 8-bit + FRC (FRC is a type of dithering to approximate the extra colors.) so not real 10bit as they would cost way more than these if they where true 10bit.

also calibration of a screen you can not reduce the colours to make it sRGB you have to calibrate the screen for the type that it is.

Associate
Its fine, the screen is great tbh; if you are after perfect colour quality and factory tuned then pickup the Ultrasharp because thats what it's built for. It's also less gamey looking. Ultrasharps are also good for gaming, but the vsync tearing annoys me.
Ok thanks for the additional confirmation, now I clearly understand the difference between the two screens. And even if I don't play often, I guess it's always better to play in good conditions without having to worry about vsync tearing.

the screens are very close, similar coating, similar size etc. i find the ultrasync to be slightly more uniform and more accurate but this is a 1-2% difference...
Ok, I'm finally starting to understand that my eyes won't cry tears of blood if I use Excel on an S2127DGF :D

wrong,

sRGB. That standard remains by far the dominant colour format for Windows, Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, and every other gaming platform you can think of. Game developers create graphic assets in sRGB with almost none even considering other color space definitions. The format reached its max potential with 8-bit, 16.7 million colours.

Major movie studios created a much wider color gamut called DCI-P3 & with 10-bit, 1.07 billion colours. While sRBG is standard definition, DCI-P3 and its relative Rec. 2020 were created for ultra HD and HDR movies

If you want a bottom line right now, it’s that sRGB works fine for gaming because games are created with sRGB by default. Unlike movies, TV shows, and design, where DCI-P3 and other wide gamut formats have become the norm. However, while sRGB definitely suffices for gaming, DCI-P3 may be up your alley because it saturates colors and some people enjoy that effect.

Good monitors with DCI-P3 will have a sRGB emulation mode to fix the over satarated colours for that type of work.

also all sRGB monitors are 8 bit these S2721DGF are not true 10bit they are 8-bit + FRC (FRC is a type of dithering to approximate the extra colors.) so not real 10bit as they would cost way more than these if they where true 10bit.

also calibration of a screen you can not reduce the colours to make it sRGB you have to calibrate the screen for the type that it is.
Thank you for this detailed explanation!

So if it's not a real 10bit, will it still make a difference while watching a movie when the option is activated or will it be barely noticeable compared to 8bit?

Associate
Just ordered one of these, can't really complain at £331 either.
Hoping it's a nice little step up from my older Dell s2716dg, still deciding if I should keep it as a second monitor but I'll likely be looking to sell it to cover some of the cost of this new model

Associate
Just ordered one of these, can't really complain at £331 either.
Hoping it's a nice little step up from my older Dell s2716dg, still deciding if I should keep it as a second monitor but I'll likely be looking to sell it to cover some of the cost of this new model

How did you get so cheap if you don't mind me asking?

Associate
Well, mine has been great for about a week until now...

It’s suddenly developed a faint vertical yellow line running down the screen. It’s about 5-10cm in from the left. Visible in Windows and the bios... I’ve unplugged and turned off for a while.

It seemed to happen at the same time as the mouse plugged into started randomly lagging.

So this is my third. First had a significantly cooler dimmer tint on right side. Second had a blurry green cluster of stuck pixels on the left.

Not sure what to do now! Order a 4th?!

Permabanned
Well, mine has been great for about a week until now...

It’s suddenly developed a faint vertical yellow line running down the screen. It’s about 5-10cm in from the left. Visible in Windows and the bios... I’ve unplugged and turned off for a while.

It seemed to happen at the same time as the mouse plugged into started randomly lagging.

So this is my third. First had a significantly cooler dimmer tint on right side. Second had a blurry green cluster of stuck pixels on the left.

Not sure what to do now! Order a 4th?!

That sucks! Did Dell replace them?

Associate
Yeah that's pretty poor.

My panel seems OK.

Not sure about the bottom right corner, it has bleed which is to be expected (unfortunately) on an IPS screen and I seem to lose a bit of colour when not looking at that corner face on (almost as it viewing from a poor angle).

I sit about two foot away from the monitor so maybe normal but I don't recall ever seeing it on my previous monitors...

Back
Top Bottom