New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
Hi to all, I woule like to buy this monitor which seems to be a real bargain, but I still hesitate between this one and the UltraSharp U2719D.

That would be mainly for office use, Excel, web browsing, some picture editing, movies watching and a little game use like one hour or two on a rallye game on a sunday afternoon ^^

So even I really like the S2127DGF, maybe it too game-oriented for me and that the U2719D will be a more relevant choice with maybe a better image quality for my office use ?

Thank you all!

Associate
Why is this even a question, i would not be interested in the U2719 even if its free, 60hz is unusable garbage. What does better image quality mean in your opinion ? All it might have is more accurate colors, and that`s about it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hi to all, I woule like to buy this monitor which seems to be a real bargain, but I still hesitate between this one and the UltraSharp U2719D.

That would be mainly for office use, Excel, web browsing, some picture editing, movies watching and a little game use like one hour or two on a rallye game on a sunday afternoon ^^

So even I really like the S2127DGF, maybe it too game-oriented for me and that the U2719D will be a more relevant choice with maybe a better image quality for my office use ?

Thank you all!

For me, high refresh rates aren't just about high fps gaming, they're about enabling a far smoother and more responsive desktop experience. After using a high refresh rate monitor for a while, going back to 60hz feels... Obsolete. I'm assuming that you either don't feel the same or haven't experienced high hz. If it's the latter, I'd see if I could demo a high hz display to see how sensitive you are to it before making a purchase decision.

Associate
Why is this even a question, i would not be interested in the U2719 even if its free, 60hz is unusable garbage. What does better image quality mean in your opinion ? All it might have is more accurate colors, and that`s about it.
I knew that my question will sound stupid :p But well, I thought that since the U2791 does not have all the gaming stuff (high res and other options) that should mean that it will provide a better experience to use for work (Excel, etc..). They are sold at almost the same price so that what I thought. Well, I guess I must be wrong :)

For me, high refresh rates aren't just about high fps gaming, they're about enabling a far smoother and more responsive desktop experience. After using a high refresh rate monitor for a while, going back to 60hz feels... Obsolete. I'm assuming that you either don't feel the same or haven't experienced high hz. If it's the latter, I'd see if I could demo a high hz display to see how sensitive you are to it before making a purchase decision.
You're right, I've never experienced high HZ. Always been on 60hz and I didn't think that more HZ could enable a smoother desktop experience for work and things like Excel. Also to be honest, I thought that the 400 cd/m2 of the S2721 vs the 350 cd/m2 of the U2719 could be too bright for someone who does no play often. But I guess I must be wrong on this one too :)

Associate
I've not tried but I'm not sure my PC could run games at 1440, 165hz, or does the refresh rate not impact the pc hardware much?

Refreshrate has nothing to do with your fps, you can keep it running @ 165hz always, and you get whatever fps your hardware will do, no need to reduce the hz.

Soldato
Looking at the G-sync range for this monitor, along with my 1080Ti and overclocked 9900k, I think that it'll perform ok. I tested Destroy All Humans and noticed that with all the eye candy it ran around 130fps or so. At that FPS my 1080Ti was running at full load, and at that its fan was quite audible. Limiting the FPS to 90, as a test, dropped the load on the GPU and so it was much less noisy and still no screen tearing as it used to occur on my old Benq monitor.

Associate
it's just the max brightness, you can always change it to you liking.
Indeed that sounds obvious, sometimes I think I should stop thinking too much :) But still, the U2719 and S2721 are sold at almost the same price... What features does U2719 have that can explain the same price ?
Anyway, thank you for all your precious advices really useful!

Soldato
Ahh ok great, thanks, I have free sync on, to I just set refresh to 165hz and forget about it... Cool, thanks

It's variable refresh rate, if you're hitting 90fps, the screen will be at 90hz in sympathy.

It's not massively different in picture quality to my u2715h, the colours are slightly more saturated - but that could because my u2715h is 5 years old. Unless you are doing photo editing / colour grading etc at a pro level then it's likely fine.

Associate
It's not massively different in picture quality to my u2715h, the colours are slightly more saturated - but that could because my u2715h is 5 years old. Unless you are doing photo editing / colour grading etc at a pro level then it's likely fine.
Thanks for the clarification, I don't think saturated colors will be a problem for my office use so it's perfect.

As I said before, my biggest (and yes, also probably most stupid) fear was that this gamer screen would not be suitable for office use, causing more eye pains... Yes I know, that sounds like an urban legend :) But thanks to the relevance of all the answers that have been given previously I realize that I should stop worrying ^^

Associate
OP
Thanks for the clarification, I don't think saturated colors will be a problem for my office use so it's perfect.

As I said before, my biggest (and yes, also probably most stupid) fear was that this gamer screen would not be suitable for office use, causing more eye pains... Yes I know, that sounds like an urban legend :) But thanks to the relevance of all the answers that have been given previously I realize that I should stop worrying ^^

I Just bought 3 U2719D and i am very happy with them. I bought them becasue i do some photoshop work and the new S2721DGF does not have a sRGB emulation mode and i would have bought some if they did. Also i never used a High refresh monitor so i am not used to one so 60hz is still fine for me. Also higher refresh will need a better GFX card to push thoese higher refresh rates and 1440p res.

I like the button layout and very slim all round bezels of the u2719D plus it has full rotation and full sRGB. I dont game a lot on the pc just here and there and 60hz is good enough for me as i play more on my xbox one soon to be sereis x on my 65" Oled. Plus i think all new games anout 90% of them will be still 60hz anyway on the new consoles

The thing is if you have never used a high refresh monitor you will never miss it until you do use one and you will never go back. I had this problem when I had a CRT back in the day when monitors where 60hz and the top end ones where about 75hz to 85hz refresh and when i went back and tried a 60hz i could see the flicker and i hated it. So the thing is if you use a high refresh monitor and then go use a different computer with a lower one you will hate it.

i found this video amusing as he says this very thing and i use a lot of different computers at work and home and around i will stick to the 60hz for now as i dont mind it at all. plus 4k monitors are still 60hz so they are still trying to catch up. TVs this year are just starting to use higher refresh rates but i still think its going to be years before high refresh rate will be the norm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKkzq39rXxg

but its all up to you at the end of the day, I will go high refresh rate when monitors start to imporve as they never have over the past 10 years i have had LCD as TN,IPS and VA panels all have the same problems like viewing angles and glow and other things but its only the refresh rate that has improved. I am wating for microLED displays and they will be about 5 to 8 years away yet.

At the end of the day it whats best for you.

Last edited:
Associate
The thing is if you have never used a high refresh monitor you will never miss it until you do use one and you will never go back.

100% Agree. Until you've tried a higher refresh monitor you don't realise how good it is.

The jump from 60Hz too 144Hz+ is one of the biggest upgrades a gamer can experience in my opinion.

At the end of the day, your usage of a monitor will ultimately determine what the best is for you as this is quite obviously a gaming monitor.

Associate
I Just bought 3 U2719D and i am very happy with them. I bought them becasue i do some photoshop work and the new S2721DGF does not have a sRGB emulation mode and i would have bought some if they did. Also i never used a High refresh monitor so i am not used to one so 60hz is still fine for me. Also higher refresh will need a better GFX card to push thoese higher refresh rates and 1440p res.

I like the button layout and very slim all round bezels of the u2719D plus it has full rotation and full sRGB. I dont game a lot on the pc just here and there and 60hz is good enough for me as i play more on my xbox one soon to be sereis x on my 65" Oled. Plus i think all new games anout 90% of them will be still 60hz anyway on the new consoles

The thing is if you have never used a high refresh monitor you will never miss it until you do use one and you will never go back. I had this problem when I had a CRT back in the day when monitors where 60hz and the top end ones where about 75hz to 85hz refresh and when i went back and tried a 60hz i could see the flicker and i hated it. So the thing is if you use a high refresh monitor and then go use a different computer with a lower one you will hate it.

i found this video amusing as he says this very thing and i use a lot of different computers at work and home and around i will stick to the 60hz for now as i dont mind it at all. plus 4k monitors are still 60hz so they are still trying to catch up. TVs this year are just starting to use higher refresh rates but i still think its going to be years before high refresh rate will be the norm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKkzq39rXxg

but its all up to you at the end of the day, I will go high refresh rate when monitors start to imporve as they never have over the past 10 years i have had LCD as TN,IPS and VA panels all have the same problems like viewing angles and glow and other things but its only the refresh rate that has improved. I am wating for microLED displays and they will be about 5 to 8 years away yet.

At the end of the day it whats best for you.
Thanks for the link to the video, very funny but also very informative!

I've always been on 60hz, at the office and at home. I work alternately, one week at the office, one week at home... So, if I have a 144hz at home while I have a 60hz in the office, I might be "shocked" by the difference :)

I don't use Photoshop, except to crop some holiday pictures or to improve the brightness, so I'm not concerned by the sRGB emulation mode.

On the other hand, I spend 30 hours a week on Excel (yes I know, it's an exciting hobby!) so it's the most important thing for my choice. The question for me is whether the experience of using Excel with the S2721DGF will be worse, better or the same compared to the U2719D.

100% Agree. Until you've tried a higher refresh monitor you don't realise how good it is.
The jump from 60Hz too 144Hz+ is one of the biggest upgrades a gamer can experience in my opinion.
At the end of the day, your usage of a monitor will ultimately determine what the best is for you as this is quite obviously a gaming monitor.
I don't play often, maybe 5 hours a week on rally games and solo FPS and I only have a Gygabite GTX 1660 OC 6G video card. To be honest I really like the design of the S2721DGF, that's why I'm also attracted to it even if I'm not a real gamer.

Associate
If you're tempted by this monitor there's nothing stopping you running it at 60Hz for now with a view to upping the refresh rate at a later stage if you upgrade your GPU. Just bear in mind you will essentially be paying extra for a high refresh rate that you won't use.

Out of interest, if the U2719D meets you needs why I you considering a new monitor?

Back
Top Bottom