New essential Android apps thread

Soldato
Has Microsoft pulled support for adding hotmail as an exchange account now? Push was great to have, now I'm stuck with having my phone set to poll every 15 minutes??

Quite the opposite. Everyone is having their accounts migrated on to to their full exchange server infrastructure.

What app are you using?

Last edited:
Soldato
Is their any podcast apps that also sync to windows 10 app? So can carry on listening on laptop?

Pocketcasts (which is excellent) is available on Android and W10. It has a syncing feature but I'm not sure if it syncs listening point (e.g. listened to 10minutes of podcast X) or just listened/not listened status.

Soldato
I used pocketcasts on my phone and tablet, the syncing does indeed sync the listening point, even on episodes which aren't necessarily downloaded on to both devices. So I can be halfway through listening to one on my phone and if I want to continue to listen on my tablet but haven't downloaded that particular episode, I can hit download and then when it's ready I can start playback from where I left off on.

Both my devices are android but I should imagine it'll be the same across platforms too.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I tried out the new Action Launcher update yesterday. Bought the pro version and everything.

It's genuinely really excellent. And I'll replace Nova with it once it adds support for unread counters and app drawer folders as well as some stuff Nova has like icon swiping.

I prefer Action's settings UI, more logical and polished than Nova's. Also like the app drawer Nougat mode and the slide out app list (like Windows phone, but better).

Man of Honour
I like Vehicle Smart :D
Each one of those Fail/Passes cost around £50, normally welding.

vehiclesmart.jpg

Associate
What's an alternative for ESFile Explorer as it's getting a bit too adware for me. I only really copy from my NAS to tablet so nothing too complicated needed :)

I downloaded the apk file for ES File Explorer version 3.2.5.5 and have set it not to update. It worked fine with Lollipop and also with Marshmallow.

That's the last version before they got greedy and added all the stuff to persuade you to pay for the Pro version.

Back
Top Bottom