New essential Android apps thread

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Not a chance IMO. The majority of people just won't be bothered to changeover as whatsapp does what they need with no real issues.
Very true, it was hard enough convincing people to install Whatsapp back in the early days.

"Introducing Google Allo, a smart messaging app that helps you say more and do more. Express yourself better with stickers, doodles, and HUGE emojis & text. Allo also brings you the Google Assistant, preview edition."

Eurgh. That is NOT a good reason to try it out.

Haha, yeah I can see that getting real old real fast too.

Soldato
It certainly looks a better chat client than WhatsApp, but yeah, I can imaging most people wont be bothered in switching as it's a kind of 'all or nothing thing'. If even 60% of your mates switch, you still can't group chat with everyone.

It's not showing as available to me in the Play store yet, but here is APK Mirror.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
WhatsApp is getting a big update very soon. The additions include 2 step auth, video calling, gif support and a few other bits.

Whatsapp will be the go to messaging app really. It's already too big to bin off for another.

I think Allo will have its time in the near future if Facebook falls foul of WhatsApp, even though they promised to not change how it functions and only improve it. Otherwise it will go the Google hangouts route, just a bit nicer for the masses.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It doesn't do sms like iMesaage, it's more of the direction Hangouts will likely go via merger once Google have assessed the uptake of Allo

Soldato
Anyone use them apps that give you money for monitoring what you do? Sound odd I k ow but a few people I know are doing it.

Applike - you have to install crap games and play them for a while to build up Mcoins which then you exchange for cash. ** No referral links - EVH ** use that and we both give each other bonuses

Viewslogic - you install on your phone and connect it to your sky/virgin box and it monitors what you watch. I cant get it to work but you get £5 Amazon vouchers a month

Embee - moitors what you do on your phone, you build up points to then exchange for cash.

Google rewards - think everyone knows about that one?

Anyone know of any others?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Seeing reviews come in, the backwards step in privacy, poor SMS fallback/support, no and way of backing up/restoring conversations doesn't really tempt me to Allo any more. It works nicely messaging wise but underneath not so much.

Soldato
Makes me wonder if Google are losing the plot on the software development end of things. Allo was a disaster from the moment they advertised the thing and even diehard supporters are just giving up defending it after seeing the full facts.

To top that off, Nougat still has a lot of issues (it's fine on my 6P) and the rollout was far from smooth due to inconsistent battery issues. To top it off their use of Material Design is getting worse - Pixel Launcher, YouTube which seems to get a new UI everytime I launch it.

Making a WhatsApp competitor that no one will have remotely even heard of (hello Duo) is going fail horribly. Either make it a core part of your OS like G.Music etc or it'll be ignored.

Soldato
Same. The ones that monitor your phone usage sound particularly intrusive.

Very true. Bit what can these people really do to anyone?

Ok yes they might find out your bank details and do what ever with your details bit at the end of the day it's fraud and can be sorted at no loss to yourself. Only time and a big pain in the arse.

These apps are from the play store so do they not need to be a credible company?

Back
Top Bottom