New essential Android apps thread

Man of Honour
Google Now's weather function. Works really well, and is integrated into the persistent search bar.

rps20170210_080510_321.jpg
rps20170210_080400_118.jpg
rps20170210_080441_353.jpg

Soldato
Might seem silly but need an app that displays the alarm time on the lock screen and possibly a countdown in hours/minutes until it's due.

Have this thing lately where I wake in middle of the night, think I forgot to set alarm, enter my pin code numerous times as i'm half asleep and then once I know it's working, can't get back to sleep, lol.

Man of Honour
Do you use Nnva Launcher? The persistent search bar option allows you to add weather (toggle option). Or you can add it as a widget (Add Widget > Nova Launcher (top) > Quick Search bar. You can configure it from Nova settings, under Desktop > Persistent search bar options.

Associate
mrk;30489269 said:
Do you use Nnva Launcher? The persistent search bar option allows you to add weather (toggle option). Or you can add it as a widget (Add Widget > Nova Launcher (top) > Quick Search bar. You can configure it from Nova settings, under Desktop > Persistent search bar options.

I was having a bit of trouble with this as I couldn't find the weather option in the persistent search bar section. Turns out that before I could see the option I needed to activate "Allow weather in search bar" in the Labs section in Nova settings.

RaV

RaV

Associate
Yaata SMS - Nice customisable sms app, small size.
MiXplorer - Solid file manager, but not currently on the play store.
Facebook Messenger Lite - Stripped down version. works great with no battery drain. easiest to find on APKmirror. If facebook do add adverts into the main messenger app then this will become a necessity.
Monospace - A minimal notes and writing app.
Shuttle+ Music Player - A solid no nonsense player. Got it free through the amazon store.
Flixster - Current film releases & reviews from rotten tomatoes(if you like rotten tomatoes)
Boost - For reddit
Signal - as a Whatsapp alternative.
#Squaredroid - add borders to images without it cropping into the photo.
PocketCast - for Podcasts. perfect interface and feature set.
Nova Launcher - Because its Nova and its great.
Google Wallpapers - Wallpapers that change every 24 hours. Is actually surprisingly decent!
Simple Currency - for very simple and clean currency comparison.
Sleep - Smart alarm clock with sleep cycle tracking

Man of Honour
joffy;30489485 said:
Thanks for the suggestions, liking Timeline. Which data source option do you find most accurate?

There is no such thing as a weather app that is most accurate, you have a 86% chance of getting the weather right by saying what it did the day before.

I use YoWindow :)

Soldato
Chaps, I've just noticed something amiss with Google Photos on my 6P and the wife's OP3. The Chromecast icon is missing upon viewing a photo within the app. Am I the only one seeing this?

Upon having a photo on the screen, there used to be a cast icon in the top right. I can't see such a thing anymore, and it seems Google have recently redesigned the UI too, which looks worse on Album mode :(

Soldato
Kainz;30491770 said:
Chaps, I've just noticed something amiss with Google Photos on my 6P and the wife's OP3. The Chromecast icon is missing upon viewing a photo within the app. Am I the only one seeing this?

Upon having a photo on the screen, there used to be a cast icon in the top right. I can't see such a thing anymore, and it seems Google have recently redesigned the UI too, which looks worse on Album mode :(

Nope, still there for me, next to the 3 dot button right?

App version is 2.8.1.146834365 on my 6P if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom