1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New essential Android apps thread

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by Rilot, Jan 10, 2014.

1. mrk

Man of Terrible Jokes

If you are on Samsung, you have a few more options like tracking its location over time etc too.

2. Fairly sure the answer is no

Sgarrista

What happened

3. V_R

Sgarrista

The dev going back on their word basically. Turns out 'Lifetime' actually means 6 or 8 years.

But as mrk said, Androids built in 'Find my Device' is all most folks need.

4. Fairly sure the answer is no

Sgarrista

I'm a lifetime guy too. So I'd lose it now as well?

5. petridish

Gangster

I got the free lifetime version years ago during a sale or something but that expired about a year or two later with an email from the dev saying obviously they can't run a business like that. At the time I had a rooted Nexus 4 and it made sense to have it installed but I think by the time it expired I was on a non rooted Samsung and didn't see the need to buy it.

It was a good app but I do think it's time has passed unless you've got a pixel phone where you can get use of all the features more easily

6. Fairly sure the answer is no

Sgarrista

I liked the idea of the app should my phone be stolen. But its never happened and all these years I've never directly used the app ever. Guess it wasn't needed after all other than peace of mind knowing I can remotely wipe the app, get photos of the person who stole the phone etc.

7. JRJ

Hitman

Lost already if you hadn't purchased when the email came out, logged in on the 27th to find my account deleted.

8. JRJ

Hitman

Cheers @mrk not really bothered with it for the last 3 generations as I've always had Cerberus setup but I've enabled everything to try it.

9. JRJ

Hitman

Same here my S8 and S10e never needed rooting so most of the functions were redundant anyway so not gonna miss much

10. Orcvader

Capodecina

Has anyone else noticed you don't seem to get a notification any more when you update an app or you install a new app from the Play store? I'm noticing this on both my OP7TP on A10 and S5e on A9. I had the issue in early December but it only affected updated apps and was fixed a short while after, then the issue recently came back again, this time also affecting newly installed apps.

EDIT: Oh, seems it really is broken again: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...ations-no-longer-showing-up-for-updated-apps/

11. Fairly sure the answer is no

Sgarrista

yep same doesn't show when i download an app now. is frustrating as i click download, leave it to do it's thing and with the intention of the phone reminding me to now use this new app as it's in the notifications as a new app, but as it's no longer there it's easy to forget about it

12. Orcvader

Capodecina

There's been an update: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...ions-no-longer-showing-up-for-updated-apps/#3

Well that's frustrating. Sometimes when I notice an app updates I usually check it to see what new features it has and/or if it fixed a bug I noticed previously. And as above, it's a nice way of knowing when a new app has finished installing, especially if it's a large app.

13. Fairly sure the answer is no

Sgarrista

updates i'm not worried about. it's not having one for new installed apps that's annoying imo