New essential Android apps thread

Man of Honour
Can someone else try this please with SwiftKey?

Gif search !wtf! and see if i gives results? For me it shows nothing as if wtf is banned... Gboard is fine:

rps20191215_171419_583.jpg

rps20191215_171433_691.jpg

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Is anyone else having any issues with Google Photo's backing up?

It just hangs there at 'Getting ready to back up' but never actually backs up any new photos.

If I uninstall any updates via the Play Store it fixes it, but as soon as I let it update it breaks it again. Its not a problem on my old 2XL or my other half's Pixel 3 regardless of version used.

I've seen a handful of others with the same issue but its certainly not widespread. I've send feedback and tried just about everything I can think of save a factory reset which I'm thinking of doing in the next few days, although I can't see it fixing it as it seems to be an app update that is the cause.

Anyone else seen or heard of this before?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
So I think I know what is causing the above issue.

I did a factory reset of my phone yesterday evening and it was fine, until the Google Play System updated itself. Now photo uploading is broken again. :mad:

Google please.

Associate
Ok bit of a specific request but I'm hoping someone might be able to help. My other half is struggling to get up in the mornings and while we were talking about it last night I remembered there used to be a sleep app on which you could set a 'latest time to wake up' and it would monitor your sleep and wake you up when you were in a light sleep close to that time. I remember there being a few different apps around the same theme about 5-10 years ago (jeez is it really that long!).

Now she does have a galaxy active watch which could track her sleep so what I'm thinking is - have any of these sleep apps moved on since that time and can tie in to the fitness trackers which are out there now? Happy to do some testing myself for a few days if anyone can point me in the right direction? Cheers

Soldato
Ok bit of a specific request but I'm hoping someone might be able to help. My other half is struggling to get up in the mornings and while we were talking about it last night I remembered there used to be a sleep app on which you could set a 'latest time to wake up' and it would monitor your sleep and wake you up when you were in a light sleep close to that time. I remember there being a few different apps around the same theme about 5-10 years ago (jeez is it really that long!).

Now she does have a galaxy active watch which could track her sleep so what I'm thinking is - have any of these sleep apps moved on since that time and can tie in to the fitness trackers which are out there now? Happy to do some testing myself for a few days if anyone can point me in the right direction? Cheers

Used to be called Sleep as Android - just called Sleep now, has "Wearables" integration, and I can see Samsung gear/Galaxy on the list of supported wearables

Soldato
Since Touchpal got removed from the Playstore I can't find a keyboard I like. I liked the feature of being swipe down on a key for the symbol and swipe up to make it a capital letter.
Anybody know of any other keyboard that has this feature? I suspect it was unique to Touchpal so I'll be stuck with whatever the last version was :(

Soldato
Since Touchpal got removed from the Playstore I can't find a keyboard I like. I liked the feature of being swipe down on a key for the symbol and swipe up to make it a capital letter.
Anybody know of any other keyboard that has this feature? I suspect it was unique to Touchpal so I'll be stuck with whatever the last version was :(
Just search for the APK on Google and it will still be available to download outside of the playstore.

Anyone tell me how to stop chrome going back 2 steps when I want it to go back 1?

For instance,

Open a new tab. Start typing ocuk and it suggests the watched thread link I always use.

I then click that and get the list of threads that have new replies. I click jump to first new post, read the thread, click back and now I'm back to new tab page, not the watched thread.

Then I do it again, go back, this time watched threads page, not the new tab as it did last time.

Do it again, new tabs etc.

****ING annoying!

Man of Honour
One of Chrome's quirks I bet. Don't get that in Firefox!

Speedtest.net app has recently rolled out an update for a free private VPN connection with 2GB of data which seems to be per month (?), just did a speedtest run using it and speeds are actually very decent, 60Mb down and 22ms latency when on my WiFi and the test relaying through the VPN server. Might be useful as a one stop VPN connection for those out and about and connecting to a public or unknown WiFi network and just want a bit of extra security I guess.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Having just lost my "lifetime" Cerberus account, can anybody recommend any similar apps or is Samsung find my mobile pretty decent now?

Soldato
Having just lost my "lifetime" Cerberus account, can anybody recommend any similar apps or is Samsung find my mobile pretty decent now?
googles own find my device is very good, it does not have the functionality of Cerberus but can lock, call, wipe and find the device when you need to.

Back
Top Bottom