New essential Android apps thread

You don't change between profiles, the apps are in different profiles and effectively two different parts of the phone. I have two Gmail apps, for example. One mine, one work. You can turn the work profile off on your days off and no work things will come through. Your personal is always on, so calls, messages etc come through. Work stuff only comes when you have worked enabled. I remember trying to use an iPhone and felt sorry for my collegues that didn't have this...
Thanks for explaining. I'll try and see what it's like. Can you auto change work profile at set times and days to avoid the need to manually do it?

Tbh, if dragging down the notification bar and tapping a toggle is too much for you, you might have bigger issues :p (The actual answer, I have no idea, I've never looked. It really is so simple to toggle)

Might be because I'm using FF beta but there's pull to refresh in Settings -> Customise -> Pull to refresh.

As well as Duck Duck Go, I've been happy with Vivaldi as my Chromium backup.
Thank you. I would have been half tempted to go back to Chrome - FF is increasingly janky on my S23U.

Thank you. I would have been half tempted to go back to Chrome - FF is increasingly janky on my S23U.
Another option I'll throw in the mix is Brave. It's what I use across all devices personally and find it pretty good although once in a blue moon I've needed to turn off some of the privacy shields to get website payment things to show properly, the majority are ok though. Has pull down to refresh as well.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Another option I'll throw in the mix is Brave. It's what I use across all devices personally and find it pretty good although once in a blue moon I've needed to turn off some of the privacy shields to get website payment things to show properly, car majority are ok though. Has pull down to refresh as well.

I like Brave on Android. It's been a bit jank on my pixel 8 pro though.

Is there anything that might boost my audio when listening to Audible? For example, Pocket Casts has something built in that will boost sound levels, but I find Audible quiet at times. Is there anything I can do?

Joplin. It's not very polished but I don't know of a better free cross-platform markdown/note syncing app. Essential because it gets used every day. Anyone know a better one?

I have a love/hate relationship with Firefox for Android, I want to use it because I like having full control over privacy via Add-ons (uBlock, Privacy Badger and LocalCDN) but I find it slower than Chromium based browsers and quite buggy (I'll admit the bugs are foldable specific).

They've just significantly increased the number of add-ons you can easily install on Android (without using collections on the beta). However, the webpage to find add-ons isn't useful? Doesn't appear you can filter by add-on category for example. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/android/

Does anyone know of an Android compatible Firefox add-on for discount codes? I kinda like the one built into Edge browser but it didn't always automatically try to apply potential codes.

Is there anything that might boost my audio when listening to Audible? For example, Pocket Casts has something built in that will boost sound levels, but I find Audible quiet at times. Is there anything I can do?
This thread reminded me to look for something. There are a few audio boosters in the app store, but none seem to do anything with Bluetooth headphones, but one called Xbooster has a graphic equalizer, which I can adjust the top end, making the voices in an auido book sound a little louder. I'll try it as I cycle today!

I'm really picky with my Android games, typically liking a few tower defense games (Kingdom Rush, Bloons, Robotek and Radiant Defense) and usually going back to them in pursuit of a new game.

One I'm absolutely loving though is Survivor.io - quite addictive and can offer a challenge.

Anyone know of a decent youtube app, for someone paying for youtune premium, but it just removes YouTube shorts completely?

I don't ever want to watch them, but some how find myself 30 minutes later breaking out of the transce they put me in and I don't know how it happens.

Now I see youtube app promotes shorts more than normal videos, so I'm looking to go to a better all without this junk, but key is to not waste my premium I'm laying 3 Ugandan dollars per month to have

Bit of a random one this, but anyone having issues with gif's in Whatsapp playing too fast when posted?

It seems to only be when posted from Gboard (as opposed to the ones that Whatsapp offer)

Only seems to affect whatsapp, fine in messages. Have tried reinstalling Gboard etc but no dice.

Bit of a random one this, but anyone having issues with gif's in Whatsapp playing too fast when posted?

It seems to only be when posted from Gboard (as opposed to the ones that Whatsapp offer)

Only seems to affect whatsapp, fine in messages. Have tried reinstalling Gboard etc but no dice.
This actually happened to me (Samsung S23 Ultra) when first got it.

Sorted its self after a google store update for Whatsapp though.

Are there any most have apps or widgets specifically for galaxy tablets? I've just bought a galaxy s9 ultra and it's been a while since I've had a tablet.

Any Nine email users? Just noticed it's not syncing with my Microsoft account, tried to remove and readd but it's coming up with an unknown error. A look on both the reviews and Reddit, I'm not the only one. I also only just noticed the developers are no longer actively working on it and instead have a new email app (OfficeMail Pro) which is cloud based and also subscription.

Moved over to K-9 Mail but it means my Microsoft account won't sync via EAS, so things like my calendar and contacts won't sync over. Added the account again to Gmail just to access those.

Last time I tried to use Gmail and Outlook for emails I noticed ads, hence why I'm avoiding them.

Regarding Gmail app, I only see ads on the Promotions tab. They take up the first 4 messages. I know not helpful but I can live with that, scrolling to the 5th onwards for "remaining promotions". I don't see ads in the main inbox or on the 3 other tabs (social / update / forums).

Back
Top Bottom