New essential Android apps thread

I have that, but I like with Dropbox/OneDrive I can have the actual file on my PC/laptop seconds after taking it.

Google Photos they're stored better for the long term, but Dropbox/OneDrive seems easier for almost instant use.

I'll be honest I think getting the files from Google Drive is way easier than Dropbox, don't know about OneDrive.
It does seem instantaneous to me.

Oh yeah, sorry, you said getting them from Drive. G Photos is great, but then I need to download the photo(s) etc. This is why I've liked Dropbox for this. If I go cycling, take some photos, when I get home the jpg's are already there on my hard drive. If I do literally want it that second, take a photo, open the Dropbox app (I guess to wake it) and the photo appears in the folder a couple of seconds later. I know it's very little difference, but it doesn't cost anything, so I figure why not have the option.

I love Photos for overall storage, albums, searching etc, but not so much for instant access.

Personal experience but when giving up OneDrive I found it incredibly infuriating.

Tldr I had a few years of large storage and didn't renew as I wasn't using it. If you don't manage your files before your storage plan ends you can't even look at them to decide what to keep or delete to make space. Couple that with not being clear if things are deleted locally only or everywhere and I honestly won't go near it ever again.

Appreciate that's not what you were asking about but perhaps I just wanted to rant :p

can someone explain to me what bloody donkey at android decided it was a wise idea to stop google wallet from working at all until you update the app, BUTTTT, they don't tell you there is an update required, and even bigger BUTTTTT, the update requires a full restart of the phone.

I don't get it.

I can be in stores trying to pay contactless and just not able to get it to work. I spend too long thinking i must just be in the wrong spot, to then eventually give up and restart the phone, now with a long queue behind me, of customers watching me just stand there staring at my phone and not doing anything with my til.

God it's a stupid design.

Same. Never had any issue like that at all. I don't think I've ever had it not work.

Have you turned off auto updates?
I think there is an error as updates sometimes seem to not happen until I manually so it, even though auto updates are on, however that's really another issue. It shouldn't be that when an update is needed, the app just totally stops working for contact less payments, and with no ability to know this. You can still do everything within the app, just not tap to pay.

It should say "payments disabled as update required"

On another note, anyone know if there's a way to stop android auto stealing phone calls control/output?

I have a Bluetooth headset I use, and now have android auto device in my van, however it won't let me disable phone calls on the android auto device, it keeps putting it back to selected.

I guess really what I think adbroid needs is the ability to prioritise devices and say "if x is connected, no matter the order of connection, this will be the device that handles the calls"

Anyone use Nova launcher and the Google at a glance widget?

Mine has changed to their 'new' non pixel device (I have a Pixel 7 Pro) design and its horrible. Switching to the pixel launcher and it displays as it used to, but I don't like the Pixel launcher. Anyone else had this happen, is there a way to get it back to the pixel UI?

Have installed Another Widget from the play store which is a work around for now.

anyone know of a camera app that puts the photos taken in that app into a different folder? every app i try puts them in the same folder as the rest of my photos.

the reason i want this is because i'm tired of having my work photos mixed in with personal, and in particular, google photos when they do that "1 year ago today" or "here's an album we think you'll like" and it's just full of dirty work shots.

Any browser recommendations? Ditched Chrome as it was overly aggressive with it permissions, stopping me from doing basic tasks. Switched to FF but miss being able to drag down to refresh and it just gets janky at random times/sites.

Any browser recommendations? Ditched Chrome as it was overly aggressive with it permissions, stopping me from doing basic tasks. Switched to FF but miss being able to drag down to refresh and it just gets janky at random times/sites.
Try duck duck go

Might be because I'm using FF beta but there's pull to refresh in Settings -> Customise -> Pull to refresh.

As well as Duck Duck Go, I've been happy with Vivaldi as my Chromium backup.

You don't change between profiles, the apps are in different profiles and effectively two different parts of the phone. I have two Gmail apps, for example. One mine, one work. You can turn the work profile off on your days off and no work things will come through. Your personal is always on, so calls, messages etc come through. Work stuff only comes when you have worked enabled. I remember trying to use an iPhone and felt sorry for my collegues that didn't have this...

Back
Top Bottom