New essential Android apps thread

Man of Honour
Hey guys... any recommendations for a Material dialler/contacts app that has a nice dark theme (preferably just black background with white text)?

EX Dialer with this theme is what I use:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.modoohut.dialer.theme.style_l_al

I prefer EX over everything else I've tried both OEM and 3rd party for the way it just works and lists historical call stats for each contact in their contact card. That and now that it supports gestures for SMS/Call etc.

Soldato
PVstar is my favourite youtube alternative for playback with the screen off.

works well but man the UI is super-sucky!

apk here http://sp.pvstar.dooga.org/apps/PVSTAR_20150115.apk

edit: another alternative if your rooted

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2213945

This one is actually great...2 versions one with xposed (allows sign in), the other a standalone app (this one doesn't have the ability to sign in but the UI is OG YouTube, much better than PV star ewwwwwww and don't think it needs root)

http://ogmods.net/home/ogyoutube?ref=xda&tab=Download

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone recommend a (preferably app-specific) root hider that works with lollipop? RootCloak Plus looked promising but I can't get Cydia to install successfully.

Edit - nvm, looks like there's an Xposed module to block root check for the app in question.

Edit2 - Nope, Xposed isn't compatible yet either. Back to the original question!

Last edited:
Associate
PVstar is my favourite youtube alternative for playback with the screen off.

Alternatively you could just download the video in question and convert to an mp3, some sites do this for you.

Not that I'm suggesting anything illegal here as I have no idea what you're listening too. :p

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a (preferably app-specific) root hider that works with lollipop? RootCloak Plus looked promising but I can't get Cydia to install successfully.

Edit - nvm, looks like there's an Xposed module to block root check for the app in question.

Edit2 - Nope, Xposed isn't compatible yet either. Back to the original question!

Don't think any will work at the moment, since both Cydia and Xposed are not even fully compatible with ART yet, and root hiders heavily rely on either of those.

i'm going on holiday on thursday to usa. I have a couple virtual numbers which are redirected to my mobile. when these calls are unanswered/unreachable they get redirected to a voicemail through the app PF Voicemail. If i was to take my mobile to the usa it'd be unreachable a fair amount of the time and i'd be paying for the redirect from usa to a uk number so can't do this as it'll be very expensive. as the number for the voicemail is just a number the app gives i assume to get the voicemails to go to my account it needs to come from my mobile number so i can't unfortunately redirect the virtual numbers to the voicemail while i'm away and cut out the mobile.

i'm considering leaving my mobile at the office plugged in connected to the wifi. the trouble i have with this is i will still need to get my texts at the very minimum, but also whatsapp, see missed calls etc. I'm hoping there is a way to either, see my phone content and control it similar to remote desktop while it's left in another country with wifi always on, or at the very least read notifications and perhaps even reply to a few of the apps?

Soldato
Right, Pushbullet users. Am I being thick or can I not pull up text messages on my Mac to reply to once the notification disappears?

Associate
Is there anything better than taker for location based automating? I've used Llama in the past but some settings don't work on lollipop.

What is Tasker lacking that you need to find an alternative? I think it's one of the most comprehensive apps available for Android. The potential of it if you have the patience to learn it is unthinkable.

The fact that you can do things like scan for specific cell towers which trigger events is really really cool.

Soldato
What is Tasker lacking that you need to find an alternative? I think it's one of the most comprehensive apps available for Android. The potential of it if you have the patience to learn it is unthinkable.

The fact that you can do things like scan for specific cell towers which trigger events is really really cool.

I've never really liked the interface really, so before I set it up I thought I'd see if there are any decent alternatives.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom