New Gaming Rig Advice..

Associate
Hi so I am going to be buying the parts for my new build next week and wanted to see if people thought it needed any adjustments etc.

From my old build I am keeping my Power Supply, SSD and HDD. I am going to go for a Ryzen build I think as smoothness of gameplay is more important to me than a few extra frames and I like that there is more future proof with a Ryzen build.

These are the parts I was thinking of buying...

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,028.17
(includes shipping: £12.30)

The parts I am keeping are..

PSU - 550W XFX PRO Core Edition 80 Plus Bronze
250GB Samsung Evo SSD
1 TB 7200 HDD.

I have a few questions when it comes to the new build.

Firstly, is everything I am thinking of picking compatible and what are your opinions? Would you change anything?

Secondly, I currently have Windows 10 installed on my SSD, will it just work in the new build or do I need to wipe the drive and do a fresh install? I'm confused on that bit. Same goes for my HDD.

Thirdly, I am thinking of just using the cooler that comes with the 1700 to start with until I can afford a decent cooler, will it be able to support an overclock?

I should add that I will at the moment be playing at 1080p 144hz, I am going to upgrade to a 1440p monitor somewhere down the line though.

Looking forward to your replies, cheers.

*UPDATE*

Due to unforseen circumstances, a simple RAM upgrade which broke my motherboard has now turned in to a fully fledged upgrade - I decided on the below:

NZXT S340 Case
Gigabyte Gaming 3 B350 Motherboard
GTX 1070 Armor
16GB 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM
Ryzen 1600 CPU with Wraith Cooler.
550W XFX Pro Power Supply
250GB Samsung SSD
1TB 7200rpm Seagate HDD
AOC 144hz 1080p Monitor

You may wonder why it has took 45 pages to get to this conclusion but it's been a tough old ride full of bumps in the road. Couldn't of done it without Plec.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Associate
OP

Thanks for the reply. Any reason for the Motherboard you picked over the one I put in my post?

Also I thought Ryzen performed better with faster RAM so 3200 would be better right?

Caporegime
I picked it because of the better support and a steady stream of BIOS updates.

They do perform better with faster RAM but once you start going over 3000MHz (or to be specific 2933MHz) then it gets harder to to actually obtain these speeds and not all boards are doing it (BIOS updates are helping).

Associate
OP
I picked it because of the better support and a steady stream of BIOS updates.

They do perform better with faster RAM but once you start going over 3000MHz (or to be specific 2933MHz) then it gets harder to to actually obtain these speeds and not all boards are doing it (BIOS updates are helping).

Ok great, thanks. Will the Vengeance RAM I linked and you linked be able to get a decent clock?

550w will definitely be enough for this build?

Associate
i managed to get a gtx 1070 for MSI GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G OC. 1920 Cuda Core PCIE 3.0 8 GB GDDR5 256-Bit Graphics Card - Black
£335.99

Since i am not allowed to post competitor links, all i have to say is look around ;)

despite that, when i bought pc parts most of it came from overclockers uk which is this website and in my signature apart from that i got graphics card else where.

Associate
To throw a spanner in the works, consider the Ryzen 1600 over the 1700. Save on the processor and go up to an X370 motherboard like the ASUS Prime. I suggest X370 over B350 for overclocking potential. You have capacity to upgrade your processor if/when games demand a full fat 8 core cpu.

The stock cooler on Ryzen processors are comparable to £20 aftermarket coolers so are very capable of a modest overclock. They will certainly tide you over until budget permits to buy a more exotic solution.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have thought about getting the 1600 but would you see that as a worthy upgrade from my i5 3570k? If i paired it with a 1070 would it be a good match for 1440p gaming in the future? (Playing at 1080p at the moment but will be upgrading in the next couple years to 1440p)

Associate
OP
Would a 1600 be sufficient for gaming? I don't mind spending a bit more for the 1700 if it's needed but if I can save some money that would be nice. Also would spending a bit more money on the X370 motherboard be a good idea?

Soldato
1600 would be fine for gaming and the b350 is a good a match. The x370 will give you better clocks, more odss and sods and guaranteed crossfire - but i would save the money and get the b350 and a moderate clock.

EDIT: Stulid beat me to it :)

Associate
OP
Thanks both. When you say moderate clock Plec, what are we talking? I won't ever go SLI but may want to upgrade my CPU in the distant future so don't mind spending a bit more now to save me the hassle of changing motherboards down the road if I want to get a higher overclock than a B350 allows me (I have no clue on overclocking by the way, this will be the first time I attempt it when I get my new PC)

Soldato
When you say moderate clock Plec, what are we talking?

3.8Ghz with minimum voltage possible. They can hit 1600x speeds but i like the middle ground as less heat and less volts - basically i prefer better clock to volt ratios. So if you were only considering a moderate clock the B350 board would be more than capable - and saves you quite a bit of cash.

I won't ever go SLI but may want to upgrade my CPU in the distant future so don't mind spending a bit more now to save me the hassle of changing motherboards down the road if I want to get a higher overclock than a B350 allows me (I have no clue on overclocking by the way, this will be the first time I attempt it when I get my new PC)

The B350 will take the same CPUs if that's what you mean? - they just have less bells and whistles and added features for higher clocks (plus more BIOS tweaks) - but people are getting decent clocks on the B350s. And if you're never going to consider crossfire (i'm a single card solution myself - as never enjoyed my dalliance with SLi) the B350 suits you even more.

Associate
OP
Thanks Plec. The main reason for going Ryzen is smooth gameplay as I have said in my opening post, my current set up (i5 3570k) gets small stuttering in a few games and from the reviews i have seen, Ryzen should give me what Im looking for at the expense of a few frames.

Not sure on which B350 to go for as the one I linked in my opening post has more reviews (and good ones), but Stupid said I'd be better going for the Gigabyte one.

Soldato
but Stupid said I'd be better going for the Gigabyte one.

Hehe - he can't be that 'stupid' i would offer the same advice - probably for the same reasons, UK RMA, great quality builds and they keep on top of their BIOS updates. :D

(I know it's auto correct - i have to recorrect it all the time too. Stulid - change your name ;))

Thanks Plec. The main reason for going Ryzen is smooth gameplay as I have said in my opening post, my current set up (i5 3570k) gets small stuttering in a few games and from the reviews i have seen

Re-reading your OP - but couldn't resist the auto correct ;)

Associate
OP
Hehe - he can't be that 'stupid' i would offer the same advice - probably for the same reasons, UK RMA, great quality builds and they keep on top of their BIOS updates. :D

(I know it's auto correct - i have to recorrect it all the time too. Stulid - change your name ;))

Re-reading your OP - but couldn't resist the auto correct ;)

Haha oh dear, sorry Stulid! I know you're not stupid.

Soldato
Haha oh dear, sorry Stulid! I know you're not stupid.
It's OK, he'll only ban you for a week or so :D

Tmy current set up (i5 3570k) gets small stuttering in a few games and from the reviews i have seen,

What's your full present spec - and what games were stuttering?

With a decent clock on the 3570 coupled with a GTX 1070 at 1080p Gsync i wouldn't expect much stuttering - and would be a cheap upgrade.

It certainly may be worth buying the GTX 1070 first and seeing the results as you would be buying it anyway?

Back
Top Bottom