New Gaming Rig Advice..

Associate
Hi so I am going to be buying the parts for my new build next week and wanted to see if people thought it needed any adjustments etc.

From my old build I am keeping my Power Supply, SSD and HDD. I am going to go for a Ryzen build I think as smoothness of gameplay is more important to me than a few extra frames and I like that there is more future proof with a Ryzen build.

These are the parts I was thinking of buying...

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,028.17
(includes shipping: £12.30)

The parts I am keeping are..

PSU - 550W XFX PRO Core Edition 80 Plus Bronze
250GB Samsung Evo SSD
1 TB 7200 HDD.

I have a few questions when it comes to the new build.

Firstly, is everything I am thinking of picking compatible and what are your opinions? Would you change anything?

Secondly, I currently have Windows 10 installed on my SSD, will it just work in the new build or do I need to wipe the drive and do a fresh install? I'm confused on that bit. Same goes for my HDD.

Thirdly, I am thinking of just using the cooler that comes with the 1700 to start with until I can afford a decent cooler, will it be able to support an overclock?

I should add that I will at the moment be playing at 1080p 144hz, I am going to upgrade to a 1440p monitor somewhere down the line though.

Looking forward to your replies, cheers.

*UPDATE*

Due to unforseen circumstances, a simple RAM upgrade which broke my motherboard has now turned in to a fully fledged upgrade - I decided on the below:

NZXT S340 Case
Gigabyte Gaming 3 B350 Motherboard
GTX 1070 Armor
16GB 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM
Ryzen 1600 CPU with Wraith Cooler.
550W XFX Pro Power Supply
250GB Samsung SSD
1TB 7200rpm Seagate HDD
AOC 144hz 1080p Monitor

You may wonder why it has took 45 pages to get to this conclusion but it's been a tough old ride full of bumps in the road. Couldn't of done it without Plec.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Thanks for the reply. Any reason for the Motherboard you picked over the one I put in my post?

Also I thought Ryzen performed better with faster RAM so 3200 would be better right?

Associate
OP
I picked it because of the better support and a steady stream of BIOS updates.

They do perform better with faster RAM but once you start going over 3000MHz (or to be specific 2933MHz) then it gets harder to to actually obtain these speeds and not all boards are doing it (BIOS updates are helping).

Ok great, thanks. Will the Vengeance RAM I linked and you linked be able to get a decent clock?

550w will definitely be enough for this build?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have thought about getting the 1600 but would you see that as a worthy upgrade from my i5 3570k? If i paired it with a 1070 would it be a good match for 1440p gaming in the future? (Playing at 1080p at the moment but will be upgrading in the next couple years to 1440p)

Associate
OP
Would a 1600 be sufficient for gaming? I don't mind spending a bit more for the 1700 if it's needed but if I can save some money that would be nice. Also would spending a bit more money on the X370 motherboard be a good idea?

Associate
OP
Thanks both. When you say moderate clock Plec, what are we talking? I won't ever go SLI but may want to upgrade my CPU in the distant future so don't mind spending a bit more now to save me the hassle of changing motherboards down the road if I want to get a higher overclock than a B350 allows me (I have no clue on overclocking by the way, this will be the first time I attempt it when I get my new PC)

Associate
OP
Thanks Plec. The main reason for going Ryzen is smooth gameplay as I have said in my opening post, my current set up (i5 3570k) gets small stuttering in a few games and from the reviews i have seen, Ryzen should give me what Im looking for at the expense of a few frames.

Not sure on which B350 to go for as the one I linked in my opening post has more reviews (and good ones), but Stupid said I'd be better going for the Gigabyte one.

Associate
OP
Hehe - he can't be that 'stupid' i would offer the same advice - probably for the same reasons, UK RMA, great quality builds and they keep on top of their BIOS updates. :D

(I know it's auto correct - i have to recorrect it all the time too. Stulid - change your name ;))

Re-reading your OP - but couldn't resist the auto correct ;)

Haha oh dear, sorry Stulid! I know you're not stupid.

Associate
OP
It's OK, he'll only ban you for a week or so :D

What's your full present spec - and what games were stuttering?

With a decent clock on the 3570 coupled with a GTX 1070 at 1080p Gsync i wouldn't expect much stuttering - and would be a cheap upgrade.

It certainly may be worth buying the GTX 1070 first and seeing the results as you would be buying it anyway?

Haha. My current set up is CPU: i5 3570k, GPU: IceQ 3GB 7970, RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz.

I was getting slight stuttering in most games to be honest, it's only slight but it's very noticeable and annoys the hell out of me!

I know it must be a CPU problem as I have tested a few different graphics cards including a 1070 and the problem persisted.

Associate
OP
You certainly did your best with the elimination process - kudos.

I only have a few questions but i'm probably clutching at straws as you've been really thorough:
  • Were they online games that stuttered - and do you have killer NIC on your motherboard in use?
  • Where were the games installed, how full were the HDDs - and is the firmware on your SSD up to date?
  • Were they micro stutters?
  • Was one of the main culprits GTA V or ARMA 3?
Like i said - probably clutching at straws.

Online games mostly, but some single player as well. I suffer most stuttering in Arma 3 (funny you should mention) and Rust. It is a micro stutter, what happens is, the game will be running at say 50fps and for a split second drop right down, stutter then go back to 50fps for example. It does happen on other games other than the two mentioned though. Would say it happens at least once a minute or so.

What is NIC?

I have tried running games that stutter on an SSD instead but see no difference and I haven't checked the firmware actually, will have to look in to updating that.

Associate
OP
On my mobile device at the moment will give a few options to try later tonight.

Could you clarify the following
  • If you have 2 sticks memory installed could you make sure they're in the right slots for dual channel setup.
  • Do you have speed step enabled (almost 100% sure you will as not overclocked)
  • Are you hard wired in via network?
  • Do you have 2 displays
  • Power option setting in windows?
I'll look at your reply when i get back. Like i said I'm probably clutching at straws but micro stuttering can have underlying setup/setting problem. Your rig - especially when you tried it with a 1070 - should be smooth and buttery but stuttering is very relative so i may be peeing in the wind :)

Still worth a couple of tests if it saves money...

(That was hard to write with swipe)

As far as I'm aware they are in the right slots.
Speed step is enabled. I have a wired connection and power options are just on default. I've had this PC now for 4 years and I've always had this stuttering problem, tried so many things to get rid of it but never can find the issue. That's why I'm leaning towards Ryzen as it's been said it gives smoother gameplay.

Associate
OP
Still confused on if i should spend that bit more for a 1700 if it will make gameplay smoother because of all the extra cores and threads or i will see no difference?

Also, stuck on which RAM I should get to compliment Ryzen the best.

Associate
OP
See above post

I had the below post saved in 'post reply' - it hand't posted. I'm posting it now partially completed as you may want give some of the tips a try - relatively straight forward:

I suspect and assuming you've tried all the Nvidia control panel options for this kind of problem?

• I would make sure the memory is in the right DIMMS slots for dual channel - simple check - and if they were can cause micro stutters.
  • Try turning off speedstep - outside chance - if it works great if not turn it back on again.
  • Windows power option - try zero power saving e.g. Power saving - maximum performance, never sleep, don't turn off HDD, PCI Express link power management to OFF, etc...
  • Try disabling one of your displays if you have 2 - make sure your primary is your primary.
  • Disable any features you aren't using in the BIOS - e.g. third part SATA controller you may not be using
Basically, turn off any power saving features and give it a whirl - if it helps - start turning each one back on again until you hit the problem again. There are other things to try but it would have been an overwhelming and demoralising post to read...

Thanks for the detailed reply Plec, tried everyone of these and the problem persists. Really is a mystery.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £909.17
(includes shipping: £12.30)

That's what I have now, anything you'd change before I order? I am confused on the RAM situation as I know that faster RAM performs better with Ryzen but I don't know which ones are able to achieve the higher speeds at the moment.

Associate
OP
So you'd suggest getting a 3000mhz rather than 3200? I wont ever be able to achieve the full 3200? I may just use the cooler that comes with the CPU for the time being as I've heard it's pretty decent. I will be trying to do overclock this time round, I never have done it before so I'm slightly nervous about it.

Associate
OP
Right so I've done some thinking and I think I may just keep my 3570k, get a decent air cooler and try overclock, if I don't try I'll never know will I and could have saved my some money for the time being!

I am still going to go along and purchase the GTX 1070 Armor as I think my graphics card is the weakest part of my build right now and definitely does need an upgrade.

I have a few questions about my current build..

1. What cooler would you suggest that I purchase?
2. What clock speed do you think I could get my 3570k to?
3. My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) ATX Motherboard
- Will a BIOS update help maybe with any stuttering? I have never done one and my version is from 2012 so should update it really shouldn't I?
4. In my current system I have this RAM - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/king...al-channel-kit-khx1600c9d3x2k2-my-094-ks.html - I think another 8GB of RAM in my system may give it a nice boost so I have 16GB, my motherboard only supports up to 1600mhz (I think) unfortunately and I can't seem to find my current RAM in stock anywhere, can I get another 2x4 sticks to go alongside it or do you recommend buying a complete new set of 2x8? Just thinking of saving some money.

Cheers.

Associate
OP
Sorry Beady, missed your update.

As, above - BIOS update primarily to ensure card compatibility and better stabiliy.

Glad you're trying the card solution/clock first - nothing to lose and hundreds (£s) to gain if you were to have success.

And a moderate stable clock, for first attempt, is always a safe way forward. You can always increase if you feel the need - i like to lean towards 'a decent clock to voltage ratio' rather than maximum sustainable clock.

Cooler - do you want air or an all in one solution?

And how much do you want to spend? (lots of choices and sizes)

I noticed an overall improvement with 16GB - using 64 bit windows - and more and more games are utilising this. I got it for apps but gaming was an added bonus.

No problem mate.

An air cooler I think would do the job, I have been looking at Noctua as seem to have very good reviews but don't know if I need to spend that amount. Budget is between 20-50 quid for a cooler.

Which RAM do you think I should get? Is 1600mhz definitely the most I can get out my board?

Cheers.

Associate
OP
2d7egdz.jpg

While I'm in my PC getting it ready for the 1070, is my RAM in the right slots?

Back
Top Bottom