New Gaming Rig Advice..

Associate
OP
It's OK, he'll only ban you for a week or so :D

What's your full present spec - and what games were stuttering?

With a decent clock on the 3570 coupled with a GTX 1070 at 1080p Gsync i wouldn't expect much stuttering - and would be a cheap upgrade.

It certainly may be worth buying the GTX 1070 first and seeing the results as you would be buying it anyway?

Haha. My current set up is CPU: i5 3570k, GPU: IceQ 3GB 7970, RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz.

I was getting slight stuttering in most games to be honest, it's only slight but it's very noticeable and annoys the hell out of me!

I know it must be a CPU problem as I have tested a few different graphics cards including a 1070 and the problem persisted.

Soldato
I know it must be a CPU problem as I have tested a few different graphics cards including a 1070 and the problem persisted.

You certainly did your best with the elimination process - kudos.

I only have a few questions but i'm probably clutching at straws as you've been really thorough:
  • Were they online games that stuttered - and do you have killer NIC on your motherboard in use?
  • Where were the games installed, how full were the HDDs - and is the firmware on your SSD up to date?
  • Were they micro stutters?
  • Was one of the main culprits GTA V or ARMA 3?
Like i said - probably clutching at straws.

Associate
OP
You certainly did your best with the elimination process - kudos.

I only have a few questions but i'm probably clutching at straws as you've been really thorough:
  • Were they online games that stuttered - and do you have killer NIC on your motherboard in use?
  • Where were the games installed, how full were the HDDs - and is the firmware on your SSD up to date?
  • Were they micro stutters?
  • Was one of the main culprits GTA V or ARMA 3?
Like i said - probably clutching at straws.

Online games mostly, but some single player as well. I suffer most stuttering in Arma 3 (funny you should mention) and Rust. It is a micro stutter, what happens is, the game will be running at say 50fps and for a split second drop right down, stutter then go back to 50fps for example. It does happen on other games other than the two mentioned though. Would say it happens at least once a minute or so.

What is NIC?

I have tried running games that stutter on an SSD instead but see no difference and I haven't checked the firmware actually, will have to look in to updating that.

Soldato
What we thinking Plec?
On my mobile device at the moment will give a few options to try later tonight.

Could you clarify the following
  • If you have 2 sticks memory installed could you make sure they're in the right slots for dual channel setup.
  • Do you have speed step enabled (almost 100% sure you will as not overclocked)
  • Are you hard wired in via network?
  • Do you have 2 displays
  • Power option setting in windows?
I'll look at your reply when i get back. Like i said I'm probably clutching at straws but micro stuttering can have underlying setup/setting problem. Your rig - especially when you tried it with a 1070 - should be smooth and buttery but stuttering is very relative so i may be peeing in the wind :)

Still worth a couple of tests if it saves money...

(That was hard to write with swipe)

Associate
OP
On my mobile device at the moment will give a few options to try later tonight.

Could you clarify the following
  • If you have 2 sticks memory installed could you make sure they're in the right slots for dual channel setup.
  • Do you have speed step enabled (almost 100% sure you will as not overclocked)
  • Are you hard wired in via network?
  • Do you have 2 displays
  • Power option setting in windows?
I'll look at your reply when i get back. Like i said I'm probably clutching at straws but micro stuttering can have underlying setup/setting problem. Your rig - especially when you tried it with a 1070 - should be smooth and buttery but stuttering is very relative so i may be peeing in the wind :)

Still worth a couple of tests if it saves money...

(That was hard to write with swipe)

As far as I'm aware they are in the right slots.
Speed step is enabled. I have a wired connection and power options are just on default. I've had this PC now for 4 years and I've always had this stuttering problem, tried so many things to get rid of it but never can find the issue. That's why I'm leaning towards Ryzen as it's been said it gives smoother gameplay.

Associate
OP
Still confused on if i should spend that bit more for a 1700 if it will make gameplay smoother because of all the extra cores and threads or i will see no difference?

Also, stuck on which RAM I should get to compliment Ryzen the best.

Soldato
Still confused on if i should spend that bit more for a 1700 if it will make gameplay smoother because of all the extra cores and threads or i will see no difference?

For gaming purposes i, personally, would stick with the Ryzen 5 - there's no real gains to be had bumping up to the 7, for the money, when gaming. The 1600 would be suffice clocked to near x performance and even then very few games will be using all the cores/threads and it's going to be while before games start using them as standard as most still use the same old engines. The Ryzen 7 CPU really is an enthusiasts CPU at this moment in time - unless your work/profession requires it.

If you want to run at 3200 - you will need to say when your ready to buy and then check for memory/batch that is known to work at that speed and that that batch is still in stock. BIOS updates are helping with compatibility a lot. Otherwise get the Team Group 16Gb 3000MHz - you won't notice any real life speed difference...

Last edited:
Soldato
See above post

As far as I'm aware they are in the right slots.
Speed step is enabled. I have a wired connection and power options are just on default. I've had this PC now for 4 years and I've always had this stuttering problem, tried so many things to get rid of it but never can find the issue. That's why I'm leaning towards Ryzen as it's been said it gives smoother gameplay.

I had the below post saved in 'post reply' - it hand't posted. I'm posting it now partially completed as you may want give some of the tips a try - relatively straight forward:

I suspect and assuming you've tried all the Nvidia control panel options for this kind of problem?

• I would make sure the memory is in the right DIMMS slots for dual channel - simple check - and if they were can cause micro stutters.
  • Try turning off speedstep - outside chance - if it works great if not turn it back on again.
  • Windows power option - try zero power saving e.g. Power saving - maximum performance, never sleep, don't turn off HDD, PCI Express link power management to OFF, etc...
  • Try disabling one of your displays if you have 2 - make sure your primary is your primary.
  • Disable any features you aren't using in the BIOS - e.g. third part SATA controller you may not be using
Basically, turn off any power saving features and give it a whirl - if it helps - start turning each one back on again until you hit the problem again. There are other things to try but it would have been an overwhelming and demoralising post to read...

Associate
OP
See above post

I had the below post saved in 'post reply' - it hand't posted. I'm posting it now partially completed as you may want give some of the tips a try - relatively straight forward:

I suspect and assuming you've tried all the Nvidia control panel options for this kind of problem?

• I would make sure the memory is in the right DIMMS slots for dual channel - simple check - and if they were can cause micro stutters.
  • Try turning off speedstep - outside chance - if it works great if not turn it back on again.
  • Windows power option - try zero power saving e.g. Power saving - maximum performance, never sleep, don't turn off HDD, PCI Express link power management to OFF, etc...
  • Try disabling one of your displays if you have 2 - make sure your primary is your primary.
  • Disable any features you aren't using in the BIOS - e.g. third part SATA controller you may not be using
Basically, turn off any power saving features and give it a whirl - if it helps - start turning each one back on again until you hit the problem again. There are other things to try but it would have been an overwhelming and demoralising post to read...

Thanks for the detailed reply Plec, tried everyone of these and the problem persists. Really is a mystery.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £909.17
(includes shipping: £12.30)

That's what I have now, anything you'd change before I order? I am confused on the RAM situation as I know that faster RAM performs better with Ryzen but I don't know which ones are able to achieve the higher speeds at the moment.

Soldato
I think that's a solid build - i personally think the 1600 is the sweetspot for gamers/home use - great bang for buck.

I would have suggested this memory as you'll probably only attain a max 2933MHz and will save you £30 - but as you have a window and a red themed window i'm guessing it's deliberate and if so your choice makes sense - but you can get the Corsair 3000 kit for £10 less in the same colour.

Soldato
See above post - i meant to edit this in.

Additional: Are you planning on clocking - do you have/getting a third party cooler?

Associate
OP
So you'd suggest getting a 3000mhz rather than 3200? I wont ever be able to achieve the full 3200? I may just use the cooler that comes with the CPU for the time being as I've heard it's pretty decent. I will be trying to do overclock this time round, I never have done it before so I'm slightly nervous about it.

Soldato
Read the first post of this official OcUK thread - link.

You need specific brand and batch to hit 3200MHz (not cheap) so i would get the 3000MHz and see what you can attain with tinkering - with 2933MHz being your target. No real life difference in 200MHZ - you're right though, Ryzen likes high memory performance - but 2933 would be great.

BIOS updates are sorting memory compatibility with every update.

Associate
OP
Right so I've done some thinking and I think I may just keep my 3570k, get a decent air cooler and try overclock, if I don't try I'll never know will I and could have saved my some money for the time being!

I am still going to go along and purchase the GTX 1070 Armor as I think my graphics card is the weakest part of my build right now and definitely does need an upgrade.

I have a few questions about my current build..

1. What cooler would you suggest that I purchase?
2. What clock speed do you think I could get my 3570k to?
3. My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) ATX Motherboard
- Will a BIOS update help maybe with any stuttering? I have never done one and my version is from 2012 so should update it really shouldn't I?
4. In my current system I have this RAM - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/king...al-channel-kit-khx1600c9d3x2k2-my-094-ks.html - I think another 8GB of RAM in my system may give it a nice boost so I have 16GB, my motherboard only supports up to 1600mhz (I think) unfortunately and I can't seem to find my current RAM in stock anywhere, can I get another 2x4 sticks to go alongside it or do you recommend buying a complete new set of 2x8? Just thinking of saving some money.

Cheers.

Caporegime
BIOS update I doubt will help stuttering, but it should help the new GFX card work if it doesnt at first.

Q2) 4.2-4.4.GHZ

Q4) 16GB is wise but is your copy of Windows a 64bit version?

Soldato
Sorry Beady, missed your update.

As, above - BIOS update primarily to ensure card compatibility and better stabiliy.

Glad you're trying the card solution/clock first - nothing to lose and hundreds (£s) to gain if you were to have success.

And a moderate stable clock, for first attempt, is always a safe way forward. You can always increase if you feel the need - i like to lean towards 'a decent clock to voltage ratio' rather than maximum sustainable clock.

Cooler - do you want air or an all in one solution?

And how much do you want to spend? (lots of choices and sizes)

I noticed an overall improvement with 16GB - using 64 bit windows - and more and more games are utilising this. I got it for apps but gaming was an added bonus.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom