New Gaming Rig Advice..

Associate
OP
Sorry Beady, missed your update.

As, above - BIOS update primarily to ensure card compatibility and better stabiliy.

Glad you're trying the card solution/clock first - nothing to lose and hundreds (£s) to gain if you were to have success.

And a moderate stable clock, for first attempt, is always a safe way forward. You can always increase if you feel the need - i like to lean towards 'a decent clock to voltage ratio' rather than maximum sustainable clock.

Cooler - do you want air or an all in one solution?

And how much do you want to spend? (lots of choices and sizes)

I noticed an overall improvement with 16GB - using 64 bit windows - and more and more games are utilising this. I got it for apps but gaming was an added bonus.

No problem mate.

An air cooler I think would do the job, I have been looking at Noctua as seem to have very good reviews but don't know if I need to spend that amount. Budget is between 20-50 quid for a cooler.

Which RAM do you think I should get? Is 1600mhz definitely the most I can get out my board?

Cheers.

Associate
OP
2d7egdz.jpg

While I'm in my PC getting it ready for the 1070, is my RAM in the right slots?

Soldato
An air cooler I think would do the job, I have been looking at Noctua as seem to have very good reviews but don't know if I need to spend that amount. Budget is between 20-50 quid for a cooler.
This - Crorig H7 Tower - is a great cooler for the money.

It's a great compromise between, size, price and has excellent performance with relative silence for the price. Clicky for detailed review.

The Noctuas are always a safe bet, if you have the money (be warned D15 is huge - i would pick the smaller model for a moderate clock) - compare them.

Which RAM do you think I should get? Is 1600mhz definitely the most I can get out my board?

You would could buy the same/similar spec memory (different brand) and match the timings manually - it's not difficult. You could buy higher specced memroy - higher frequency and underclock it and match timings to that of your existing memory - you have a few options. I would pick the speck that looks similar to your present memory (if you have a window) and matches (can be matched) the spec within your budget.

Associate
OP
This - Crorig H7 Tower - is a great cooler for the money.

It's a great compromise between, size, price and has excellent performance with relative silence for the price. Clicky for detailed review.

The Noctuas are always a safe bet, if you have the money (be warned D15 is huge - i would pick the smaller model for a moderate clock) - compare them.

You would could buy the same/similar spec memory (different brand) and match the timings manually - it's not difficult. You could buy higher specced memroy - higher frequency and underclock it and match timings to that of your existing memory - you have a few options. I would pick the speck that looks similar to your present memory (if you have a window) and matches (can be matched) the spec within your budget.

Great! I'll have a read of that review in a bit mate.

Is the picture I posted above ok? RAM in the right slots?

Might just get 1600mhz then of a different brand, probably Vengeance.

Associate
OP
1070 installed, everything working nicely! Did you get chance to look at my picture above Plec? I think I'm going to purchase the Cryorig cooler, looks good.

Associate
OP
Great- fingers crossed

Yep - "for optimum performance, when enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 sockets" - and you've done that.

Brilliant, thanks!

Thinking of going for the "HyperX FURY 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600MHZ CL10 DIMM Memory", Will that do the job or would you recommend any others?

Soldato
Present Memeory
  • 1600MHz RAM Speed
  • CAS 9-9-9-27 Timings
  • 1.50-1.65v VDIMM

Potential memory

• 1600MHz RAM Speed
  • CAS 10-10-10-28 Timings
  • 1.50-1.65v VDIMM

Should be fine - you will have to set the memory frequency/timings and voltage manually. I would match the timings of the new memory (lower timings) at first and ensure the system is stable. You could then try tightening the timings to the other memory but you may want to get your clock sorted first as 4 sticks can limit your clock somewhat or at least make it trickier to setup (Didn't affect mine).

EDIT: i should mention that the smaller looser timings will make no noticeable difference in speed what-so-ever.

Associate
OP
I'm a little confused, wouldn't the RAM I just said not just work out the box? I'd have to manually do stuff? Or are you taking in to account if I used my current memory alongside the new RAM? I didn't even know that was possible.

Soldato
I'm a little confused, wouldn't the RAM I just said not just work out the box? I'd have to manually do stuff? Or are you taking in to account if I used my current memory alongside the new RAM? I didn't even know that was possible.
It may be that i'm confused.

Are you planning on swapping the sticks out?

i.e. just installing the 16gb and removing the 8Gb sticks?

Soldato
That's what I was planning to do.
Ah, I can see why i confused you.
I didn't know it was even possible to run them along side each other.
It is - but it can get tricky if they don't play nice - and it's not always guaranteed to work - but i've never had any problems.

I would stick to your original plan - as i mentioned 16Gb is more than enough, and wont have any impact on your future clock.

Plus, and more importantly, you're trying to eliminate an existing micro-stuttering problem with the addition of extra memory. Running 4 sticks would add additional stress to the memory controller (within the CPU now) and we want to avoid anything that may be a contributing factor to your existing problem and we certainly don't want to add another potential suspect.

Hope that all made sense.

Associate
OP
Haha we are on the same terms now, it made complete sense.

On the stuttering problem, I have just done a test on MSI Afterburner (never done that before) and when I'm in game and a stutter happens my GPU Usage goes right down at the same time, don't know if that tells you anything? My CPU usage seemed to actually be pretty steady. I know a new GPU wasn't going to fix the problem as I've tested it before with a 1070. The mystery goes on, may be an idea to record some gameplay for you.

Soldato
CPU usage was around 50-60, Temps were around the same.
Well we can rule that idea out - a throttling CPU can drop GPU usage - but your temps are fine.

There are so many possible reasons for this type of problem - micro-stuttering is one of those problems that can literally be anything - and sometimes something totally innocuous (a lot of times within a setting in the nVidia control panel itself - but i know you had an AMD card with the exactly the same problems).

Could you run cpu-z it would be interesting to see what your memory is running at? Look at the memory tab

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well we can rule that idea out - a throttling CPU can drop GPU usage - but your temps are fine.

There are so many possible reasons for this type of problem - micro-stuttering is one of those problems that can literally be anything - and sometimes something totally innocuous (a lot of times within a setting in the nVidia control panel itself - but i know you had an AMD card with the exactly the same problems).

Could you run cpu-z it would be interesting to see what your memory is running at? Look at the memory tab

258w8wj.png

There we go.

Soldato
It's a long shot but you could try running the xmp in the BIOS to set the memory to it's correct timings - it's been known to work.

Your frequency is set correctly but your timings aren't as tight as they could be. This in itself won't be the cause (if it is the cause) but the motherboard has set the memory timings incorrectly - and this isn't usually a problem - but sometimes setting up the memory correctly has been known to cure micro stutters (anecdotal from reading forumd in the past).

It's a quick test - just go into the BIOS and set the xmp - save and exit.

Typing on my tiny tablet now so forgive any typos...

Back
Top Bottom