New GMMK Pro - mechanical keyboard

Man of Honour
I went for the 55g although they are a touch softer than I thought they would be. All the YouTube I can watch and it can't beat the experience of what spring resistance is going to be like. I might go for the 62g if I had to buy them again. This is my first mech board so the drawn-out process of it arriving has been a tough one to bear! Looking forward to testing out the switches and various mods along the way. I've got the Durok V2 ready and waiting as well to swap out the GOATs.

Are your Kailh's custom-built or were you able to pick them up as a complete unit from somewhere?
Got them as a complete unit, I'm toying with buying some of the Thick Click Navy's and using the thicker bar from them and using them in the crystals, like a Frankenswitch :p

Edit: So you waiting for a white ISO board?

Associate
Got them as a complete unit, I'm toying with buying some of the Thick Click Navy's and using the thicker bar from them and using them in the crystals, like a Frankenswitch :p

Edit: So you waiting for a white ISO board?

Yep waiting for the white ISO. I use the £ quite a lot and I love the big enter key. I may look at ANSI boards next time, simply so there's a lot more choice for keycaps. Then get a small macropod with the keys I definitely need and possibly some media keys as well.

I do a lot of spreadsheet work so having no numpad is going to be interesting! I may have to get a separate one if things become too annoying.

I definitely need to wait and see how this all goes before I even think about buying another set of switches/board/keycaps. It's turned into quite an expensive hobby and I still haven't got anything to show for it! At least lubing and filming the switches has been a nice task to do while watching the TV to occupy my hands

Man of Honour
Yep waiting for the white ISO. I use the £ quite a lot and I love the big enter key. I may look at ANSI boards next time, simply so there's a lot more choice for keycaps. Then get a small macropod with the keys I definitely need and possibly some media keys as well.

I do a lot of spreadsheet work so having no numpad is going to be interesting! I may have to get a separate one if things become too annoying.

I definitely need to wait and see how this all goes before I even think about buying another set of switches/board/keycaps. It's turned into quite an expensive hobby and I still haven't got anything to show for it! At least lubing and filming the switches has been a nice task to do while watching the TV to occupy my hands

Thankfully I chose the Black ISO and bought it a few days ago from OCUK, the white/silver looks really nice but didn't want to wait for stock etc..

I'm not sure about the lack of numpad either, I don't do anything that really needs one but I've used one all my PC using life and I find them a lot easier and quicker, if I had to use one for work then I'd definitely want a full size board.

When I first picked up the board it felt amazing quality, heavier than my previous Ducky Shine 7 and that was about 30% bigger and I still don't have the switches and caps installed :eek:

I've also got a FR4 plate coming, going to see if that makes a positive difference to the typing experience?

Did your switches need filming or did you just do it anyway?

Man of Honour
And I hear you on the keycaps, there's only a handful that meet the UK ISO layout with the 1U modifiers to the right of the space bar.

I've got a set of the Ducky Joker PBT keycaps, not fully suitable but I'll see what I can do?

Associate
Thankfully I chose the Black ISO and bought it a few days ago from OCUK, the white/silver looks really nice but didn't want to wait for stock etc..

I'm not sure about the lack of numpad either, I don't do anything that really needs one but I've used one all my PC using life and I find them a lot easier and quicker, if I had to use one for work then I'd definitely want a full size board.

When I first picked up the board it felt amazing quality, heavier than my previous Ducky Shine 7 and that was about 30% bigger and I still don't have the switches and caps installed :eek:

I've also got a FR4 plate coming, going to see if that makes a positive difference to the typing experience?

Did your switches need filming or did you just do it anyway?

Would be interesting to see how you find the FR4 plate. I've got the Polycarb plate on order as well so it'll be nice to see which combination of plates/switches I'll like the most.

My switches didn't need filming, they had good tolerances already. But as I'm new to this and I heard it's what should be done, I went for it. Good practice taking the switches apart and getting used to lubing/filming I suppose.

I've seen a couple of numpads out there but I also want to see how I do without for now. I can't imagine I'll last too long bt going to see if I can persevere.

Associate
I have the FR4 plate and prefer it to the Al plate. The Al plate was too rigid and a bit harsh for my liking but by no means bad and sounded nice. The only essential upgrade are the stabilizers, my stock ones were terrible. Next up I am replacing the gaskets with D65 ones, then I'll experiment with the foam.

Associate
Still radio silence. I've not had an e-mail update or seen anyone that's received one yet. The silence is deafening.
Talk of the devil and he shall appear!

I've just received notification that the board has been shipped out although the polycarb plate has been separated from the order as it is delayed.

Man of Honour
So anyone here in the UK using an ANSI keyboard?

Apart from the £ sign not shown on the keys and a few symbols moved, is everything still present?

Do you set up your keyboard in Windows as ANSI?
How do you access the £ sign?

Anything else to consider?

Thanks in advance :)

Associate
I use ANSI for the keycap options, I actually prefer the layout now I am used to it. I just use the US Qwerty Keyboard Language alongside UK, then switch between the two using Win+Space if I need £.

Associate
Win+Space switches the keyboard language, so I use US almost all the time but then switch and key Shift+3 to get £. There are lots of other ways to work around this (customising the keyboard layout in software or US International layout...) but I find this best. No reason not to switch imo, especially if you want more keyboard options and keycap sets. It is also easier to get other mods in ANSI like plates and custom foam (e.g. Stupidfish).

Some keycap sets do offer ISO keys but you often have to buy the extra keycaps separately. For example, I have GMK Laser on the way for my GMMK Pro - it would have been an extra $70 for the ISO set.

Man of Honour
Nice, yeah what I meant is, are they any other times you find yourself needing to switch keyboard language, other symbols etc not in the ANSI set up?

I think I'm going to grab the ANSI GMMK PRO as like you say, keycap sets are easier to source.

Though I'll have to sell my FR4 plate as well lol :D

Associate
Got you, it is just the £ sign that I use UK language for personally. The real hard choice is which switches to use...

Associate
I am wearing in a set of NK Creams which I will later lube. A lot of people find them scratchy stock but I don't mind them and I love the deep sound. I'm probably going to try Gateron Black Ink v2s in my next board. If you want super smooth and don't mind a slightly higher pitch sound, Banana Splits or Alpacas v2 are meant to be great. If you don't want to lube/film then Aqua King v3 are highly rated too.

I've only gotten into custom keyboards the last few months and it is a slippery and expensive slope.

Man of Honour
I've only gotten into custom keyboards the last few months and it is a slippery and expensive slope.

Ain't that the truth, I've not long started and already have different keycap sets and switches on order :p

I've got some Gateron Green switches on the way as my normal switch of choice was the Cherry Blues and always fancied the heavier Greens, I've also ordered some Kailh Crystal Box Navy switches, also thinking of getting the thicker click versions (from Novelkeys) and making a Frankenswitch!

Though I must admit after all the research I'm interested in either a heavy linear switch (I used to enjoy the Cherry Blacks) or a heavy tactile but not sure what to get? As I'm covered for clicky switches now :)

I've got all the lube stuff I need ready for the switches to be delivered, so I'm prepared for that.

Associate
I am wearing in a set of NK Creams which I will later lube. A lot of people find them scratchy stock but I don't mind them and I love the deep sound. I'm probably going to try Gateron Black Ink v2s in my next board. If you want super smooth and don't mind a slightly higher pitch sound, Banana Splits or Alpacas v2 are meant to be great. If you don't want to lube/film then Aqua King v3 are highly rated too.

I broke a set of Creams for a good month of solid typing, and then lubed them. Honestly the scratchiness never went away for me. I went from them to lubed/filmed splits and it is night and day. Not tried Inks since because I'm totally ok with the sound profile.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom