• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New GTX 1080Ti slows down afer 5 minutes

Associate
i was just about to ask if you had corsair link, the model you have is the same version as mine, i've had a quick look and it looks like the program doesnt properly support your mobos sensor chip and the recommendations are to use HWiNFO64 instead, cant hurt to download and have a look, i'l do the same
Just found it under sensors in HWinfo64.

Soldato
thats the one you need to look for

+5v
3VCC
+12V

thease will be you psu voltages :)

next step is to leave the program open and put load on the cpu and gpu, run a demanding game and after a while exit and look back and see whats the crack

Soldato
i will admit something when i saw you image of your card i saw the ram clock was 6300mhz, forgive be but thats f@!king quick for a 1080ti, i have a evga ftw3 1080 ti and i found my card would handle 6000mhz fine but anything over and my game performance tailed off dramatically in some titles, when i locked it at 6000mhz games seemed to be a lot better, as a test try dropping you ram back to 6000mhz and see if games work better, and see if the card is able to keep the frame rate above 60fps or more if you have it set highter

Associate
i will admit something when i saw you image of your card i saw the ram clock was 6300mhz, forgive be but thats f@!king quick for a 1080ti, i have a evga ftw3 1080 ti and i found my card would handle 6000mhz fine but anything over and my game performance tailed off dramatically in some titles, when i locked it at 6000mhz games seemed to be a lot better, as a test try dropping you ram back to 6000mhz and see if games work better, and see if the card is able to keep the frame rate above 60fps or more if you have it set highter
Yeah, when I was overclocking I was surprised how high it went. But, I did test the card at stock settings and it still happened. I'll try it at 6000Mhz.

Soldato
Yeah, when I was overclocking I was surprised how high it went. But, I did test the card at stock settings and it still happened. I'll try it at 6000Mhz.

Keep in mind that GDDR5 has error correction which when it gets errors simply asks for the function to be run again. So overclock by checking scores on 3D mark or something. Your scores may start to go down before you see graphical errors. Stop when you see scores going down nor when you start to see errors

Soldato
i've just had a look at the image and regarding you voltages the 3v and 5v are fine they have dropped a but are with in atx 5% spec, looking at your 12v rail and its a bit low under load 11.8v i think is the minimun that atx specs allow it could be 11.6v thinking on, i'd keep a close eye on that and if it drops anymore i'd personally look at replacing the psu as it could damage everthing attached to it, i have a freind who gets crashing every so often and when we looked at his voltages under load the 12v was running as low as 8.9v and he's got a 1070, i told him for the love of god be careful and replace the unit asap

Associate
i've just had a look at the image and regarding you voltages the 3v and 5v are fine they have a bit dropped but are with in atx 5% spec, looking at your 12v rail and its a bit low under load 11.8v i think is the minimun that atx specs allow it could be 11.6v thinking on, i'd keep a close eye on that and if it drops anymore i'd personally look at replacing the psu as it could damage everthing attached to it, i have a freind who gets crashing every so often and when we looked at his voltages under load the 12v was running as low as 8.9v and he's got a 1070, i told him for the love of god be careful and replace the unit asap
Oh okay, so best case it stays at 12v? What are your numbers?

Soldato
i just ran cinebench on my 7900x @4.5ghz on all cores and my voltages in hwinfo64 were 12v on the 12v rail, 5.040 on the 5v rail and the 3.3v rail was reporting 3.296v bear in mid when i do load up games and indroduce the gpu into the mix i have seem my 12v rail drop to 11.9v minimum and my other voltages do drop to around the same as what was shown in the image here

https://imgur.com/a/pFW7pdA

Associate
Keep in mind that GDDR5 has error correction which when it gets errors simply asks for the function to be run again. So overclock by checking scores on 3D mark or something. Your scores may start to go down before you see graphical errors. Stop when you see scores going down nor when you start to see errors
IllI try checking the overclock with basemark.

Associate
i just ran cinebench on my 7900x @4.5ghz on all cores and my voltages in hwinfo64 were 12v on the 12v rail, 5.040 on the 5v rail and the 3.3v rail was reporting 3.296v bear in mid when i do load up games and indroduce the gpu into the mix i have seem my 12v rail drop to 11.9v minimum and my other voltages do drop to around the same as what whas shown in the image here

https://imgur.com/a/pFW7pdA
As long as mine voltages don't drop anymore I should be fine?

Soldato
yeah you'll be fine as they are but do keep any eye on them and if you notice any strage behavoir in windows or games maybee think about a replacment, or if you open up hwinfo and see the 12v rail super low then dont hesitate, order a new psu as soon as you can

Associate
Here is the logs for the GPU when fps drops. Clocks stay the same but power consumption drops, along with temps.
0iTjwRN

nEEOBy6
Does the framerate stay low or rise again? After the drop gpu and memory controller load rise again to a similar level. GPU temp, fan speed and power consumption rise again but not quite to the same level.

HWMonitor shows a max temp of 79 deg which is quite high. Create a custom fan curve in Evga precision. Also what fans are fitted to your case?

Associate
Does the framerate stay low or rise again? After the drop gpu and memory controller load rise again to a similar level. GPU temp, fan speed and power consumption rise again but not quite to the same level.

HWMonitor shows a max temp of 79 deg which is quite high. Create a custom fan curve in Evga precision. Also what fans are fitted to your case?
The framerate stays low, I have my fans set to a silent profile which is why the temps are so high. Usually sits at around 75 though. Got 2x stock phanteks fans in the front (140mm) and a 120mm in the back.

Soldato
The new GPU is coming tomorrow, I'll see if it fixes the problem.

which games do you find the issue in all or some?, i've just launched the division and in the settings i disabled vsync and set a custom frame cap to 150fps and as soon as i was in game holy crap the game was unplayable it would start at 148 fps and a couple of seconds later drop in to the 10's then back to around 146 and back down to 10 again, back into settings i went and enable vsync and turned off custom frame cap, re launched the game at 120fps and its smooth as a kitten no sudden fps drop or anything. i'm sure its a driver issue as i'm on the latest nvidia driver 399.07

Associate
which games do you find the issue in all or some?, i've just launched the division and in the settings i disabled vsync and set a custom frame cap to 150fps and as soon as i was in game holy crap the game was unplayable it would start at 148 fps and a couple of seconds later drop in to the 10's then back to around 146 and back down to 10 again, back into settings i went and enable vsync and turned off custom frame cap, re launched the game at 120fps and its smooth as a kitten no sudden fps drop or anything. i'm sure its a driver issue as i'm on the latest nvidia driver 399.07
In Fortnite and Overwatch, haven't tried in other games.

Soldato
do you have a diffrent game to test beside those mentioned above, if you get the same result across the board it could be the card at fault, if not maybe the games mentioned have had updates recently which has borked performance somewhat

Back
Top Bottom