New headset : Pimax Crystal

Associate
Pimax got back to me, ya they said their latest update borked a bunch of stuff with software 1.13 and they are working on a fix as "top priority'. My Crystal controllers are basically unusable.

Soldato
Pimax got back to me, ya they said their latest update borked a bunch of stuff with software 1.13 and they are working on a fix as "top priority'. My Crystal controllers are basically unusable.

Just got a firmware and pimax client update that talked about stability and specifically controller tracking stuff... hopefully it helps you out!

Associate
Just got a firmware and pimax client update that talked about stability and specifically controller tracking stuff... hopefully it helps you out!

I decided to sell it. It's just too much weight for my neck in flight simulators as you have to constantly look down in the cockpit for switches etc. After a career as a military pilot, my neck is pretty bad off. Beyond is my last hope or I will just switch to a 65" 4K for sim use.

Last edited:
Soldato
I decided to sell it. It's just too much weight for my neck in flight simulators as you have to constantly look down in the cockpit for switches etc. After a career as a military pilot, my neck is pretty bad off. Beyond is my last hope or I will just switch to a 65" 4K for sim use.

Damn how much did u sell i for?

Soldato
Just had a lovely evening flight in MSFS with the clouds, rain and sunset up near Edinburgh in the spitfire... it really is a beautiful view in this headset now I've got my glass lenses!

Also speaking of comfort - just added the studioform apache strap and it's made a nice addition and helped stabilise this big girl.

e9134fb8182813ce2e33d9e1d6b9ca0b0d2e6e0f.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had a lovely evening flight in MSFS with the clouds, rain and sunset up near Edinburgh in the spitfire... it really is a beautiful view in this headset now I've got my glass lenses!

Also speaking of comfort - just added the studioform apache strap and it's made a nice addition and helped stabilise this big girl.

e9134fb8182813ce2e33d9e1d6b9ca0b0d2e6e0f.jpeg
Hows the controller tracking mate?
Did you get the fibre or display port cable?

Soldato
Fiber cable.

Controller tracking is… still meh. I don’t do a whole lot with them tbh as I’m mainly interested in it as a sim headset.

I did have a play in the morrigan, and for shooting bows/using swords they were fine and I didn’t lose tracking or anything.

For shooting I’m still getting some jitter and movement when aiming down sights, less than before but still not at the level of pico 4 for example.

Associate
OP
any pimax crystal owners willing to let me demo the headset? will help with purchase decision :D
Pretty sure i've read online somewhere that Pimax will be doing more roadshows with the Crystal in the EU and UK, can't remember when or where though, if you're interested contact Pimax through their website. Pimax said on discord yesterday that the Crystal will be available from Amazon in august, so you could buy/try from there and return it if it's not what you want.

Soldato
Pretty sure i've read online somewhere that Pimax will be doing more roadshows with the Crystal in the EU and UK, can't remember when or where though, if you're interested contact Pimax through their website. Pimax said on discord yesterday that the Crystal will be available from Amazon in august, so you could buy/try from there and return it if it's not what you want.

Fantastic news. Amazon UK? Sounds like the best way to go and definitely happy to wait until then.

Associate
My Pimax Crystal has been on pre order for weeks,i paid my deposit and waited.Two weeks ago i got the email that my order was ready for dispatch and it was time to pay the £1,676.75.I paid with PayPal,i've not heard anything back as yet.
I used the link from The Vr flight sim guy on youtube.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My Pimax Crystal has been on pre order for weeks,i paid my deposit and waited.Two weeks ago i got the email that my order was ready for dispatch and it was time to pay the £1,676.75.I paid with PayPal,i've not heard anything back as yet.
I used the link from The Vr flight sim guy on youtube.
iirc there's about a 3-4 week wait between paying in full for the Crystal and receiving it, but i imagine you should have some sort of receipt or confirmation after making full payment, have you got one? if not, contact Pimax support through their website - https://pimax.com/support/ there's a chat window you can use if they're online or create a support ticket.

Associate
iirc there's about a 3-4 week wait between paying in full for the Crystal and receiving it, but i imagine you should have some sort of receipt or confirmation after making full payment, have you got one? if not, contact Pimax support through their website - https://pimax.com/support/ there's a chat window you can use if they're online or create a support ticket.
I've got the PayPal recept but not had a reply from pimax yet.I opened a ticket last night asking for an update,i hope to hear from them soon.

Soldato
Just spotted a review of the Pimax Crystal for combat flightsims (DCS specifically):

He loves it but even with a RTX 4090 he had to dial back the resolution to get 90 fps (no mention of DLSS3 support). He states that the software is still beta.

Associate
Just spotted a review of the Pimax Crystal for combat flightsims (DCS specifically):

He loves it but even with a RTX 4090 he had to dial back the resolution to get 90 fps (no mention of DLSS3 support). He states that the software is still beta.
I have to dial back my VP2 in DCS and MSFS to get 90fps, winds me up when you get nob sticks around the internet chirping about VR Ultra settings blah blah, 4090 > 90fps no problem blah blah... Its a load of bs you need as much graphics horse power as you can to drive these higher resolution displays and even then its not enough in many situations... that's why you need DFR to help lower the demand.

Soldato
DCS has got quad views enabled for the crystal already, so when pimax finally get around to releasing the eyetracking to the public it’ll be ready to go.

Performance gains are extremely significant.

We need more games to support proper DFR through quad views like DCS and Pavlov, it’s so much more effective than VRSS etc

Back
Top Bottom