• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** NEW IMPROVED EVGA 970's ARE ON THERE WAY!!! **

Thanks for all the complimentary comments guys...

On the issue of the price I will raise the recent exchange rate fall of the pound against the $. The prices of both these products are actually really competitive but as they are being bought at the new rates the price looks a little high just at the moment.

i feel once you see the pricing settle down you will view the pricing as far more competitive.

Some of the changes we have made to these models are really positive giving great extra room for overclocking. I will try and get some further data published tomorrow on the new cards.

Ben

The exchange rate has nothing to with the plastic build and tacky appearance.

Yes.

Go and look (not that you need to I;m sure) at the KFA2 970 at about the same price, night and day, even the 'cheap' ones like the Inno3d @ £260 are better than this rubbish. Wouldn't touch EVGA these days, they've gone the Corsair PSU route, build up a good reputation then cheap out.

oh are corsair psus cheap now?

The exchange rate has nothing to with the plastic build and tacky appearance.

Have to agree. Being premium manufacturer there's nothing about the card that shouts it, apart from the badge.. This just seems to be a case of low quality build with premium mark up i'm afraid.

EVGA imo are cutting corners, yet still ask for premium buck.

Last edited:
Have to agree. Being premium manufacturer there's nothing about the card that shouts it, apart from the badge.. This just seems to be a case of low quality build with premium mark up i'm afraid.

Corsair PSUs seem to be doing the same thing, there should be a list of everything used in the card so we can see how good the build is. We should know exactly what we are buying! Look at the VRAM, we want Samsung now not the cheap stuff, its fair when youre paying £300 imo!

Definitely. I'd expect this kind of card from a cheapo brand. At the primo end look at the Galax/KFA2 (whatever they're calling themselves today) OCUK models and their build quality etc

Corsair PSUs seem to be doing the same thing, there should be a list of everything used in the card so we can see how good the build is. We should know exactly what we are buying! Look at the VRAM, we want Samsung now not the cheap stuff, its fair when youre paying £300 imo!

That's what reviews do, so that already happens.
The chances of people understanding anything that is on a graphics card is slim to none, so pretty pointless for them to bother.

Edit: if the cards are 300 with cheap ram, what's the cost with decent? The market and price they're aiming at probably won't allow top everything.

Last edited:
Do they still whine like a dolphin in the care of Jimmy Savile?

My SC does :( I even changed the PSU to a 750w Superflower unit and it still screams like a banshee. It's a shame really as the card is more than capable but it's hard to ignore the whine if you're gaming and there's no sound to drown it out.

Step Up

My SC does :( I even changed the PSU to a 750w Superflower unit and it still screams like a banshee. It's a shame really as the card is more than capable but it's hard to ignore the whine if you're gaming and there's no sound to drown it out.

Why not RMA the unit with us if the whine is so bad? Also step up is now available to the new GTX970 SSC, so this is also an inexpensive option to the new card. http://eu.evga.com/support/stepup/
We have worked hard on the new model to stop any coil whine issues. Please feel free to contact me or Dominik for any more assistance you need.

Thanks
Ben

This is no conciliation nor is it meant to be, but my three reference 980s are deadly quiet. Even under water there is no real audible noise when pushing high frame rates. My 780Ti used to hiss quite badly in comparison.

Finding hardware that will be compatible on a level that won't produce noise from caps or coils isn't something you can plan for. If you've got it, unless it is chronic just accept it and move on. Replacing PSUs and GPUs to try and remove it is futile.

Last edited:
EVGA are a great company with the best warranty and customer support. They just need to up the build quality on the premium cards. Even the classified has a plastic shroud and that's nearly £600 which is a ridiculous price for a 980 256 bit wonder card. The profit margins on the 980 and probably 970 must be huge, how about putting some of that cash back in to the design of the cards.

Why not RMA the unit with us if the whine is so bad? Also step up is now available to the new GTX970 SSC, so this is also an inexpensive option to the new card. http://eu.evga.com/support/stepup/
We have worked hard on the new model to stop any coil whine issues. Please feel free to contact me or Dominik for any more assistance you need.

Thanks
Ben

Is there somewhere in the UK that my card can be sent to though or would it have to go back to Germany?

EVGA are a great company with the best warranty and customer support. They just need to up the build quality on the premium cards. Even the classified has a plastic shroud and that's nearly £600 which is a ridiculous price for a 980 256 bit wonder card. The profit margins on the 980 and probably 970 must be huge, how about putting some of that cash back in to the design of the cards.

Power regulation on their 970's is supposed to be dire too in comparison to the competition. This is partly due to nVidia not specifying components though, unlike the 980

Still not recieved the backplate I signed up for before November lol. It now says that the two free isnt/wasn't available in my region. Even though it was. Sent an email and all i got was a reply with the hours for xmas.

Still not recieved the backplate I signed up for before November lol. It now says that the two free isnt/wasn't available in my region. Even though it was. Sent an email and all i got was a reply with the hours for xmas.

I got mine this week but I did have to chase it up. Not sure whether the first one got lost or was never sent in the first place though.

Back
Top Bottom