• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New Intel Processors Announced

Associate
I know I'm being a bit "tight" here, but the good thing for me for this is that all the "OMG.....I must have the latest CPU" kids will help push the prices down of the current gen C2D's and Quads. :D

I'm a skinflint so I always usually buy "just" a generation behind as far as PC stuff goes and thus far, I've never regretted doing so.

"Bang per buck" and all that.....:p

I agree, but this case is not so clear cut. I think it can be argued that the 9450 will be good value and most people do seem to agree that this chip hits a good spot - depending on final UK price of course! Now if someone had bought one of the current top quad cores for closer to £1000 then fair enough!

Quad cores are no longer really "new" - been around for some time now! And with this batch of chips are, imo, heading towards mainstream.

Are quads good? Depends of course! I cant wait to get virtual machines up and running, database servers, etc. One process will be less likely to max out your PC for significant lengths of time! Finally I can multitask!!

Im upgrading from an old 754 chip so this is going to be a big leap for me. If you have a 6600 and just play single process games then well it's a no brainer really..

One thing's for sure - this is not just for rich kids with money to burn!

:)

Soldato
I have a C2D @ 3.6Ghz

I only use my machine to game, browse the web and play music etc.

Do I need a Quad penryn?

Or should I go for a Dual Penryn with high clocking (which proc is the best in this respect?)

Not kept to date on these recently but will be purchasing one.

Associate
OP
which chip have Apple just put into the the Mac Pro today?

They say you can have 2 quad core penryn xeons at 3.2GHz each, but Intel haven't released such a chip have they?

Cob

Cob

Soldato
which chip have Apple just put into the the Mac Pro today?

They say you can have 2 quad core penryn xeons at 3.2GHz each, but Intel haven't released such a chip have they?

The Penryn Xeons (X54xx and E54xx) have been out for a while now on the server Socket 771.

Caporegime
I have a C2D @ 3.6Ghz

I only use my machine to game, browse the web and play music etc.

Do I need a Quad penryn?

Or should I go for a Dual Penryn with high clocking (which proc is the best in this respect?)

Not kept to date on these recently but will be purchasing one.

E8400 will do 4ghz+ on air.

And I doubt you will see much of increase in real terms as games are GPU limited now at C2D speeds of 3.6ghz.

Q9450 will need a solid 500FSB for 4ghz which is unlikely.

Or 450FSB for 3.6ghz again a big ask on current mobo's

Its a difficult choice. It really is a bummer the low multi's of the quads.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Yeah it's looking less and less like a wise upgrade for those of us with a Q6600.

I'll maybe just swap my B3 for a good clocking G0 when the time comes, but we may yet be surprised by Penryn.

Associate
for me, I'm wondering what kind of penryn upgrades will be brought out half-way between penryn and nehalem? Following the Q6600, for example, will a "G0" equivalent update bump multipliers, reduce wattage, etc?

Nehalem demands an upgrade to a new socket, so how best to maximise current DDR2/775s I suppose?

I'm hoping that a substantial upgrade to penryn in 6-9 months time would give enough of a boost to wait until nehalem is past the early-adopter price points, or even further. 10+% or so right now doesn't seem to justify it, imo.

Having said all that, I'll have to stay off the web for my own good for about 12 months ;)

Associate
I wonder if any Quad Core users will be tempted to take a backwards step and go back to just a Dual Core E8400??
I think I could be tempted as to be honest say 4ghz Dual Core and 4 gig of memory seems like a better option than 3ghz Quad Core does.

Caporegime
I wonder if any Quad Core users will be tempted to take a backwards step and go back to just a Dual Core E8400??
I think I could be tempted as to be honest say 4ghz Dual Core and 4 gig of memory seems like a better option than 3ghz Quad Core does.

Not when I can easy max all cores with editing and encoding.

I'm running Quad a 3.8ghz now

Back
Top Bottom